The scattered fields of a number of targets in free space are measured. Their complex natural resonances are extracted from the late time responses, using the generalized pencil-of-function method. The complex natural resonances, as the targets are immersed in a lossy medium, are investigated using Baum's transform. The results of the complex natural resonances for various targets are expected to be utilized for target identification.
2. Chen, C., L. Peters, and Jr., "Buried unexploded ordnance identification via complex natural resonances," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propagat., Vol. 45, No. 11, 1645-1654, 1997.
3. Vitebiskiy, S. and L. Carin, "Resonance of perfectly conducting wires and bodies of revolution buried in a lossy dispersive halfspace," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propagat., Vol. 44, 1575-1583, Dec. 1996.
4. Chen, C., "Electromagnetic resonances of immersed dielectric sphere," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propagat., Vol. 46, No. 7, 1074-1083, 1998.
5. Geng, N., D. R. Jackson, and L. Carin, "On the resonances of a dielectric BOR buried in a dispersive layered medium," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propagat., Vol. 47, No. 8, 1305-1313, 1999.
6. Vitebiskiy, S., L. Carin, M. A. Ressler, and F. H. Le, "Ultrawideband, short-pulse ground-penetrating radar: simulation and measurement," IEEE Trans. Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 35, 762-772, May 1997.
7. Carevic, D., "An approach to characterizing ground probing radar target echoes for landmine recognition,", Technical Report of Electronics and Surveillance Research Laboratory, Australia, 1998.
8. Hua, Y. and T. K. Sarkar, "Generalized pencil-of-function method for extracting poles of an EM system from its transient response," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propagat., Vol. 37, No. 2, 229-234, 1989.
9. Hanson, G. W. and C. E. Baum, "Perturbation formulation for the natural frequencies of an object in the presence of a layered medium," Electromagnetics, Vol. 18, No. 4, 333-351, 1998.
10., "Radar cross-section measurements with 8510 network analyzer,", Hewlett Packard, Product Note 8510-2, USA, April 1985.
11. Baum, C. E., Detection and Identification of Visually Obscured Targets, Taylor & Francis, 1998.
12. Kraus, J. D., Antennas, McGraw-Hill, 1988.
13. Baum, C. E., T. H. Shumpert, and L. S. Riggs, "Perturbation of the SEM-pole parameters of an object by a mirror object," Electromagnetics, Vol. 9, 169-186, 1989.