A forest made of an infinite biperiodic array of trees over a lossy ground, is illuminated by a linearly polarized electromagnetic plane wave in the range of 20 to 90 MHz. Due to the ratio of the wavelength to the array period, only the specular mode is propagative. Therefore, a reflection coefficient is computed and not a backscattering coefficient. It is obtained by means of a full wave approach, based on an integral representation of the electric field. This approach takes into account all possible interactions between each component of the medium as well as ground penetration and provides full information on the phase of the scattered field. Two models of the forest are developed, the two layers one where trees are separated and the four layers one whee the canopy is replaced by an equivalent homogeneous medium. The low frequency (VHF) used here make this homogenization possible and allows one to consider trees with simple shape, the wave being unable to sense details of a tree.
2. Israelsson, H., J. Askne, and R. Sylvander, "Potential of SAR for forest biomass to SAR data," International Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 15, No. 14, 2809-2826, 1994.
3. Dobson, G., T. Ulaby, T. Le Toan, A. Beaudoin, E. Kasischke, and N. Christensen, "Dependence of radar backscatter on coniferous forest biomass," IEEE Transaction on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 30, No. 2, 412-415, 1992.
4. Paloscia, S., G. Macelloni, P. Pampaloni, and S. Sigismondi, "The potential of C- and L- band SAR in estimating vegetation biomass: The ER.S-1 and JERS-1 experiments," IEEE Transaction on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 37, No. 4, 2107-2110, 1999.
5. Gustavsson, A., H. Hellsten, B. Larsson, and L. Ulander, "Development and operation of the FOA CARABAS VHF-SAR system," Proceedings of PIERS, Nantes, 1998.
6. Hellsten, H., P. Frlind, A. Gustavsson, T. Jonsson, B. Larsson, G. Stenstrm, B. Binder, M. Mirkin, and S. Ayasli, "Ultrawideband VHF SAR-design and measurements," Proceedings of SPIE, Orlando, 1994.
7. Hellsten, H., L. Ulander, A. Gustavsson, and B. Larsson, "Development of VHF CAR.ABAS II SAR," Proceedings of SPIE Conf. Radar Sensor Technology, Orlando, 1996.
8. Hsu, C., H. Han, H. Shin, R. Kong, J. Beaudoin, and T. Le Toan, "Radiative transfer theory for polarimetric remote sensing of pine forest at P-band," International Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 15, No. 14, 2943-2954, 1994.
9. Israelsson, H., L. M. H. Ulander, T. Martin, and J. Askne, "A coherent scattering model to determine forest backscattering in the VHF-Band," IEEE Transaction on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 38, No. 1, 238-248, 2000.
10. Beaudoin, J., T. Le Toan, S. Goze, E. Goze, E. Nezry, A. Lopez, E. Mougin, C. Hsu, H. Han, J. Kong, and R. Shin, "Retrieval of forest biomass from SAR data," International Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 15, No. 14, 2777-2796, 1994.
11. Torgovrlikov, Dielectric Properties of Wood an Wood-Based Materials, Springer-Verlag, 1993.
12. Peplinski, N., F. Ulaby, and M. Dobson, "Dielectric properties of soils in the 0.3–1.3 GHz range," IEEE Transaction on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 33, No. 3, 803-807, 1995.
13. Ulaby, F., R. Moore, and A. Fung, Microwave Remote Sensing: Active and Passive, Vol. 3, Artech House, 1986.
14. Chew, W. C., Waves and Fields in Inhomogeneous Media, IEEE Press, 1995.
15. Richmond, J., "Scattering by a dielectric cylinder of arbitrary cross section shape," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 13, No. 3, 334-341, 1965.
16. Richmond, J., "TE-wave scattering by a dielectric cylinder of arbitrary cross-section shape," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 14, No. 4, 460-464, 1966.
17. Su, C.-C., "A simple evaluation of some principal value integrals for dyadic Green’s function using symmetry property," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 35, No. 11, 1306-1307, 1987.
18. Singh, S., W. Richards, J. Zinecker, and D. Wilton, "Accelerating the convergence of series representing the free space periodic Green’s function," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, No. 12, 1958-1962, 1990.
19. Angot, L., "Modelisation de l’interaction d’une onde electromagnetique avec un objet: application a l’observation d’une foret dans le domaine des frequences VHF,", Ph.D. thesis, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, 1999.