A parametric study is performed to the conical and Gaussian profiled horn antennas. Corrugations are added to these horns to further improve their radiation characteristics. The analyses are performed numerically using a body of revolution code, which uses the method of moments. The obtained numerical results are illustrated graphically to show the performance of the horns in terms of phase center, return loss, efficiency with parabolic reflector, directivity, and cross polarization of the horns. Results obtained conclude that the Gaussian profiled horns perform better than the existing conical horn antenna system. The Gaussian profiled horns provide higher efficiency, lower cross polarization, lower sidelobe levels as well as wider bandwidth. The objective of this article is to provide some understanding to the Gaussian profiled horns that might be of help to the new antenna designers.
2. Clarricoats, P. J. B. and A. D. Olver, Corrugated Horns for Microwave Antennas, IEE electromagnetics waves series 18, 1984.
3. Olver, A. D., P. J. B. Clarricoats, A. A. Kishk, and L. Shafai, Microwave Horns and Feeds, Chaps. 8 and 9, IEE electromagnetics waves series 39, 1994.
4. Spanish Patent P.9501922, "Horn antenna mode converter from waveguide modes to Gaussian structures,", C. Del Rıo, R. Gonzola, M. Sorolla y M. Thumm, 25/09/1995.
5. Spanish Patent P.9601636, "Mode converter: From the TE11 monomode circular waveguide mode to the HE11 corrugated circular waveguide mode,", C. Del Rıo, R. Gonzola, y M. Sorolla, 11/07/1996.
6. Del Rıo, C., R. Gonzola, and J. Teniente, "Gaussian profiled horn antennas," 7th International Symposium, Recent Advances in Microwave Technology Proceeding, 199-202, 1999.
7. Del Rıo, C., R. Gonzola, and J. Teniente, "Very shorn and efficient feeder design from monomode waveguide," IEEE-AP-S International Symposium, 1997.
8. Del Rıo, C., R. Gonzola, and Y. M. Sorolla, "High purity Gaussian beam excitation by optimal orn antenna," Proceedings of ISAP’96, 1133–1136, Chiba, Japan, IEEE-AP-S International Sym, 1997.
9. Kishk, A. A., "Radiation and scattering from multi perfectly conducting axisymmetric surfaces using method of moments (BORPEC Version 2.01),", Software User's Guide, Sept 1999.
10. Ludwig, A. C., "The definition of cross-polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 21, No. 1, 116-119, 1973.