The scattering problem for an inhomogeneous twodimensional biisotropic cylinder is solved in the frequency-domain by means of a hybrid method, in which finite difference equations in the interior region are combined with a mesh truncation in terms of a boundary integral equation that realizes a global absorbing boundary condition. The influences of the chirality and non-reciprocity parameters on the scattering properties are investigated. Numerical results for the bistatic echo widths are presented and compared with a reference solutions in the circular cases and it is found that the method yields more accurate results than what can be achieved with a local absorbing boundary condition. It is realized that, for a given mesh, the method presented is computationally slower than a method based on a local absorbing boundary condition but in on the other hand the method is much faster than the readily used method of moments. The present method is thus suitable for solving scattering problems involving scatterers of intermediate sizes.
2. Wang, J. J. H., Generalized Moment Methods in Electromagnetics, Wiley, New York, 1991.
3. Kluskens, M. S. and E. H. Newman, "Scattering by a chiral cylinder of arbitrary cross section," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. 38, No. 9, 1448-1455, September 1990.
4. Cheng, D. and W. Lin, "New theorems for bianisotropic media," Int. J. Infrared and MM Waves, Vol. 13, No. 3, 351-359, March 1992.
5. Berenger, J. P., "A perfectly matched layer for the absorption of electromagnetic waves," J. Comp. Phys., Vol. 114, No. 2, 185-200, October 1994.
6. Pekel, U. and R. Mittra, "A finite-element frequency-domain application of the perfectly matched layer (PML) concept," Microwave and Opt. Tech. Letters, Vol. 9, No. 3, 117-121, June 1995.
7. Rappaport, C. M., "Interpreting and improving the PML absorbing boundary condition using anisotropic lossy mapping of space," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 32, No. 3, 968-974, May 1996.
8. Gonzalez Garcıa, S., I. Villo Perez, R. Gomez Martın, and B. Garcıa Olmedo, "Extension of Berenger’s PML for bi-isotropic media," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 8, No. 9, 297-299, September 1998.
9. Kuzuoglu, M. and R. Mittra, "A systematic approach to the derivation of constitutive parameters of a perfectly matched absorber," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 8, No. 9, 313-315, June 1998.
10. Mei, K. K., R. Pous, Z. Chen, Y.-W. Liu, and M. D. Prouty, "Measured equation of invariance: a new concept in field computations," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. 42, No. 3, 320-328, March 1994.
11. Hong, W., Y. W. Liu, and K. K. Mei, "Application of the measured equation of invariance to solve scattering problems involving a penetrable medium," Radio Science, Vol. 29, No. 4, 897-906, July–August 1994.
12. Chen, J. and W. Hong, "EM scattering analysis of a ferrite cylinder by a FD-FD technique with an effective absorbing boundary condition and MEI," Int. J. Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 16, No. 12, 2209-2221, 1995.
13. Cermak, I. A. and P. Silvester, "Solution of 2-dimensional field problems by boundary relaxation," Proc. IEE, Vol. 115, No. 9, 1341-1348, September 1968.
14. McDonald, B. H. and A. Wexler, "Finite-element solution of unbounded field problems," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 20, No. 12, 841-847, December 1972.
15. Jin, J. M., J. L. Volakis, and J. D. Collins, "A finite-elementboundary- integral method for scattering and radiation by two- and three-dimensional structures," IEEE Ant. Prop. Mag., Vol. 33, No. 3, 22-32, June 1991.
16. Sheng, X.-Q., J. M. Jin, J. Song, C. C. Lu, and W. C. Chew, "On the formulation of hybrid finite-element and boundary-integral methods for 3-D scattering," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. 46, No. 3, 303-311, March 1998.
17. Rogier, H., F. Olyslager, and D. De Zutter, "A new hybrid FDTDBIE approach to model electromagnetic scattering problems," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 8, No. 3, 138-140, March 1998.
18. Song, J., C.-C. Lu, and W. C. Chew, "Multilevel fast multipole algorithm for electromagnetic scattering by large complex objects," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. 45, No. 10, 1488-1493, October 1997.
19. Lindell, I. V., A. H. Sihvola, S. A. Tretyakov, and A. J. Viitanen, Electromagnetic Waves in Chiral and Bi-Isotropic Media, Artech House, Boston & London, 1994.
20. Monzon, J. C., "Scattering by a biisotropic body," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. 43, No. 11, 1288-1296, November 1995.
21. He, S. and J. Cao, "Scattering from a biisotropic object of arbitrary shape," J. Electromagnetic Waves and Applic., Vol. 12, No. 12, 1547-1574, December 1998.
22. Lindell, I. V., A. H. Sihvola, P. Puska, and L. H. Ruotanen, "Conditions for the parameter dyadics of lossless bianisotropic media," Microwave and Opt. Tech. Letters, Vol. 8, No. 5, 268-272, April 1995.
23. Strom, S., "Introduction to integral representations and integral equations for time-harmonic acoustic, electromagnetic and elastodynamic wave fields," Field Representations and Introduction to Scattering, V. V. Varadan, A. Lakhtakia, and V. K. Varadan (eds.), Vol. 1, Elsevier Science Publ., 1991.
24. Weston, V. H., "Factorization of the wave equation in a nonplanar stratified medium," J. Math. Phys., Vol. 29, No. 1, 36-45, January 1988.
25. Weston, V. H., "Time-domain wave splitting of Maxwell’s equations," J. Math. Phys., Vol. 34, No. 4, 1370-1392, April 1993.
26. Cao, J. and S. He, "An exact absorbing boundary condition and its application to three-dimensional scattering from thin dispersive structures," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 99, No. 4, 1854-1861, April 1996.
27. Morita, N., N. Kumagai, and J. R. Mautz, Integral Equation Methods for Electromagnetics, Artech House, Boston & London, 1990.
28. Collin, R. E., Foundations for Microwave Engineering, 62-64, New York, McGraw-Hill, 1992.
29. Bohren, C. F., "Scattering of electromagnetic waves by an optically active cylinder," J. Colloid Interface Sci., Vol. 66, 105-109, August 1978.
30. Kluskens, M. S. and E. H. Newman, "Scattering by a multilayer chiral cylinder," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. 39, No. 1, 91-96, March 1991.