Complex permittivity of a number of liquids and binary mixtures has been studied by measurement using the waveguide techniques at the X and Ku band. Particular pieces of WR90 and WR62 waveguides were designed for the measurement of liquid materials. The custom designed TRL calibration kits are applied for calibration of the waveguide system. The measured results of complex permittivity of liquid dielectrics, such as methanol, propyl alcohol, ethyl alcohol, chlorobenzene, dioxane, cyclohexane and binary mixtures, are presented. Particular pieces of open-ended waveguides for the X and Ku bands were also designed for holding liquids and the measured data using the open-ended waveguide technique were compared with those measured using the waveguide technique. Some of the measured results are also compared with calculated data using the Debye equation and published data measured by the Fourier transform spectroscopy.
2. Hallikainen, M. T., F. T. Ulaby, M. C. Dobson, M. A. El-Rayes, and L. K. Wu, "Microwave dielectric behavior of wet soil-part I: empirical modes and experimental observation," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 23, No. 1, 25-34, 1985.
3. Weir, W. B., Automatic measurement of complex dielectric constant and permeability at microwave frequencies, Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 62, No. 1, 33-36, 1974.
4. Huygen, I., C. Steukers, and F. Duhamel, "A wideband line-line dielectric method for liquids, soils and planar substrates," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 50, No. 5, 1343-1348, 2001.
5. Decreton, M. C. and M. S. Ramachandraiah, "Nondestructive measurement of complex permittivity for dielectric slabs," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 23, No. 12, 1077-1080, 1975.
6. Chang, C. W., K. M. Chen, and J. Qian, "Nondestructive determination of electromagnetic parameters of dielectric materials at X-band frequencies using a waveguide probe system," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 46, No. 5, 1084-1092, 1997.
7. Misra, D., M. Chabbra, B. R. Epstein, M. Mirotznik and K. R. Foster, "Noninvasive electrical characterization of materials at microwave frequencies using an open-ended coaxial line: test of an improved calibration technique," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 38, No. 1, 8-14, 1990.
8. Bao, J., M. L. Swicord, and C. C. Davis, "Microwave dielectric characterization of binary mixtures of water, methanol and ethanol," Journal of Chemical Physics, Vol. 104, No. 12, 4441-4450, 1996.
9. Afsar, M. N., J. Chamberlain, G. W. Chantry, R. Finny, and R. Van Loon, Assessment of random and systematic errors in microwave and submillimeter dielectric measurements, Proc. of IEE, Vol. 124, No. 6, 575-577, 1977.
10. Afsar, M. N., J. Chamberlain, and G. W. Chantry, "High precision dielectric measurements on liquids and solids at millimeter and submillimeter wavelength," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 25, No. 4, 290-294, 1976.
11. Yu, K. B., S. G. Ogourtsov, V. G. Blenky, A. B. Maslenikov, and A. S. Omar, "Accurate microwave resonant method for complex permittivity measurements of liquids," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 48, No. 11, 2159-2164, 2000.