Presented herein is a coupled-mode formulation for coupled microstrip lines on a magnetized ferrite substrate. The formulation discussed here is an extension of the coupled-mode theory for microstrip lines on an isotropic substrate. Since the magnetized ferrite exhibits a biaxial anisotropy in its permeability, the guidedwave fields in the magnetized ferrite are not subject to the conventional reciprocity relation for fields in an isotropic medium. Thus, a generalized reciprocity relation is first derived from two sets of guidedwave fields, which propagate in ferrite magnetized transversely along the strip surface. The reciprocity relation is then used to derive coupled-mode equations for coupled microstrip lines on a ferrite substrate. As a basic numerical example, the new formulation is applied to two coupled microstrip lines on a ferrite substrate.
2. Hsia, I. Y., H. Y. Yang, and N. G. Alexopoulos, "Basic properties of microstrip circuit elements on nonreciprocal substratesuperstrate structures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 5, 465-476, 1991.
3. Kitazawa, T., "Variational method for planar transmission lines with anisotropic magnetic media," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory & Tech., Vol. 37, 1749-1754, 1989.
4. Pregla, R., Method of lines for the analysis of multilayered gyrotropic waveguide structures, IEE Proc. H, Vol. 140, 183-192, 1993.
5. Yasumoto, K. and M. Matsunaga, "Coupled-mode analysis of coupled multiple microstrip lines," IEICE Trans. Electronics, Vol. E80-C, 340-345, 1997.
6. Matsunaga, M., M. Katayama, and K. Yasumoto, "Coupled-mode analysis of line parameters of coupled microstrip lines," Progress in Electromagnetic Research, Vol. Vol. -24, 1-18, 1999.
7. Yasumoto, K., "Coupled-mode formulation of multilayered and multiconductor transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. MTT-44, 585-590, 1996.
8. Xie, K. and L. E. Davis, "Nonreciprocity and the optimum operation of ferrite coupled lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. MTT-48, 562-573, 2000.
9. Mazur, J., Piotr, and A. Cwikla, "Coupled-mode analysis of ferrite microstrip lines," IEEE Microwave Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 9, 300-302, 1999.