Abstract-Performance trends varying with different geometrical parameters for on-chip spiral inductors: (a) with fixed inner-dimension, (b) with outer-dimension, and (c) variation in both inner- and outerdimensions are extensively investigated in this paper. The relationships for the inductance, Q-factor and self-resonance frequency (SRF) with various geometrical parameters, such as track width, track spacing, and turn numbers are examined on an extensive experiment basis. These performance trends can be a good guideline for practical inductor designs in RFICs.
2. Nam, C. M. and Y. S. Kwon, "High-performance planar inductor on thick oxidized porous silicon (OPS) substrate," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 7, No. 8, 236-238, 1997.
3. Chang, J. Y. C., A. A. Abidi, and M. Gaitan, "Large suspended inductors on silicon and their use in a 2 μm CMOS RF amplifier," IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 14, No. 5, 246-248, 1993.
4. Park, M., S. Lee, H. K. Yu, J. G. Koo, and K. S. Nam, "High Q CMOS-compatible microwave inductors using double-metal interconnection silicon technology," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 7, No. 2, 45-47, 1997.
5. Zolfaghari, A., A. Chan, and B. Razavi, "Stacked inductors and transformers in CMOS technology," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 36, No. 4, 620-628, 2001.
6. Danesh, M. and J. R. Long, "Differentially driven symmetric microstrip inductors," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 1, 332-341.
7. Kenneth, O., "Estimation methods for quality factors of inductors fabricated in silicon integrated circuit process technologies," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 33, No. 8, 1249-1252, 1998.
8. Niknejad, A. M. and R. G. Meyer, "Analysis, design, and optimization of spiral inductors and transformers for Si RF Ics," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 33, No. 10, 1470-1481, 1998.
9. Koutsoyannopoulos, Y. K. and Y. Papananos, "Systematic analysis and modeling of integrated inductors and transformers in RF IC design," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Analog and Digital Signal Processing, Vol. 47, No. 8, 699-713, 2000.
10. Yue, C. P., C. Ryu, J. Lau, T. H. Lee, and S. S. Wong, A physical model for planar spiral inductors on silicon, Proceedings of International Electron Devices Meeting, 155-158, 1996.
11. Groves, R., K. Stein, D. Harame, and D. Jadus, Temperature dependence of Q in spiral inductors fabricated in a silicon-germanium/BiCMOS technology, Proceedings of Bipolar/ BiCMOS Circuits and Technology Meeting, 153-156, 1996.
12. Post, J. E., "Optimizing the design of spiral inductors on silicon," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Analog and Digital Signal Processing, Vol. 47, No. 1, 15-17, 2000.
13. Yin, W. Y., S. J. Pan, and L. W. Li, "Comparative characteristics studies on on-chip single and double-level square inductors," IEEE Trans. Magnetics, Vol. 39, No. 3, 1778-1783, 2003.
14. Yin, W. Y., S. J. Pan, L. W. Li, Y. B. Gan, B. L. Ooi, and F. J. Lin, "Local scalable description of global characteristics of various on-chip asymmetrically octagonal inductors," IEEE Trans. Magnetics, Vol. 39, No. 4, 2042-2048, 2003.
15. Pan, S. J., L. W. Li, and W. Y. Yin, "A compact lumped-element equivalent circuit model of two-layer integrated spiral inductors," Internatfonal Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 2, 148-153, 2003.
16. Pan, S. J., L. W. Li, and W. Y. Yin, "Electrical characteristics and behavioral model for spiral inductors on GaAs substrate," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 16, No. 4, 443-455, 2002.
17. Yin, W. Y., S. J. Pan, L. W. Li, and Y. B. Gan, "Model description and parameter extraction of on-chip spiral inductors for MMIC's," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, No. 9, 2003.
18. Yin, W. Y., S. J. Pan, and L. W. Li, "Experimental characeerization of on-chip octagonal double-helix inductors on silicon substrates," IEE Proc-Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 150, No. 4, 265-268, 2003.
19. Yin, W. Y., S. J. Pan, L. W. Li, and Y. B. Gan, "Experimental characterization of coupling effects between two neighboring on-chip spiral inductors," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 45, No. 3, 557-561, 2003.