Achieving a high stability of the phase centre position in horn antennas with respect to frequency is a very desirable aim in reflector antenna design; a highly stable phase centre reduces efficiency dropping for defocusing at the frequency band extremes. By using an appropriate profile for the horn antenna it is possible to obtain horns both compact and with a stable phase centre. In this paper an automatic design procedure, based on Genetic Algorithms, to obtain such horns is described. The algorithm operates on many horn profile parameters, including corrugations, and is based on an accurate fullwave mode matching/combined field integral equation analysis code. To keep computing time down a full parallel algorithm over a 12 CPU parallel virtual machine is described.
2. Gentili, G. G., E. Martini, R. Nesti, and G. Pelosi, Performance analysis of dual profile corrugated circular waveguide horns for radio astronomy applications, IEE Proc. Microwave, Vol. 148, No. 2, 119-124, 2001.
3. Gentili, G. G., R. Nesti, G. Pelosi, and V. Natale, "Compact dual-profiled corrugated circular waveguide horn," Electron. Lett., Vol. 36, No. 6, 486-487, 2000.
4. Kuhn, E. and V. Hombach, "Computer-aided analysis of corrugated horns with axial or ring-loaded radial slots," Int. Conf. on Antennas and Propagat. (ICAP'83), Vol. 219, 127-131, 1983.
5. Coccioli, R., G. Pelosi, and R. Ravanelli, "A mode matchingintegral equation technique for the analysis and design of corrugated horns," Aerospace Science Tech., Vol. 2, No. 2, 121-128, 1998.
6. Fedi, G., S. Manetti, G. Pelosi, and S. Selleri, "Profiled corrugated circular horns analysis and synthesis via an artificial neural network," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 49, No. 11, 1597-1602, 2001.
7. Chang, L.-C. T. and W. D. Burnside, "An ultrawide-bandwidth tapered resistive TEM horn antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 48, No. 2, 1848-1857, 2000.
8. Garcia-Muller, P. L., "Optimisation of compact horn with broad sectoral radiation pattern," Electron. Lett., Vol. 37, No. 6, 337-338, 2001.
9. Piegl, L., "On NURBS: a survey," IEEE Computer Graph. Applic., Vol. 11, No. 1, 55-71, 1991.
10. Deguchi, H., M. Tsuji, H. Shigeasawa, and S. Matsumoto, A compact low-polarization horn antenna with serpentine-shaped taper, IEEE Antennas Propagat. Symposium, 8-13, 2001.
11. Garnet, C. and T. S. Bird, "Optimization of corrugated horn radiation patterns via a spline-profile," ANTEM 2002, 27-29, 2002.
12. Granet, C. and T. S. Bird, Optimization of global earth coverage horns, JINA 2002 Conference, 12-14, 2002.
13. Olver, A. D., P. J. B. Clarricoats, A. A. Kishk, and L. Shafai, Microwave Horns and Feeds, IEE press, London, UK, 1994.
14. Goldberg, D. E., Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning, Addison Wesley Longman Inc., Reading, MA, 1989.
15. Sterling, T., D. J. Becker, J. E. Dorband, and D. Savarese, "Beowulf: a parallel workstation for scientific computation," 24th Intern. Conf. On parallel Processing, 15-18, 1995.
16. Sunderam, V., "PVM: a framework for parallel distributed computing," Concurrency: Practice and Experience, Vol. 2, No. 4, 315-339, 1990.