Space division multiple access (SDMA) is a promising can- didate for improving channel capacity in future wireless communication systems. Considering that discrimination performance of the user in the spatial domain depends on the array arrangement, and as a result the optimum element arrangement for SDMA should be defined, beam- forming play a very important role providing fundamental theory of design procedure. However the pattern of antenna array is determined by array geometry. Two-dimensional (2-D) spatial filters that can be implemented by microstrip technology are capable of filtering the re- ceived signal in the angular domain as well as the frequency domain. This paper focuses on various geometries of eight and nine elements antenna arrays using circularly patch elements as well as hexagonal ar- ray with seven elements. The network throughput is further analyzed to determine if using a fully adaptive pattern (LMS algorithm gener- ated pattern) results in a higher throughput with or without presence of mutual coupling effects.
2. Ioannides, P. and C. A. Balanis, "Uniform circular arrays for smart antennas," IEEE Conf., 2796-2800, 2004.
3. Tan, C. M., P. Fletcher, M. A. Beach, A. R. Nix, M. Landmann, and R. S. Thoma, "On the application of circular arrays in direction finding, Part II: Experimental evaluation on SAGE with different circular arrays," 1st Annual COST 273 Workshop, No. 5, 29-30, 2002.
4. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 2nd ed., Wiley, New York, 1997.
5. Grag, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahal, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, 2nd ed., Artech House, 2001.
6. Schmidt, R. O., "Multiple emitter location and signal parameter estimation," IEEE Trans. Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 34, No. 2, 276-280, 1986.
7. Roy, R. and T. Kailath, "ESPRITâ€”estimation of signal parame- ters via rotational invariance techniques," IEEE Trans. Acoustic, Vol. 37, No. 7, 984-995, 1989.
8. Gadara, L., Application of antenna arrays to mobile communi- cations, Part II: Beamforming and direction-of-arrival considera- tions, IEEE Proceedings, Vol. 85, No. 8, 1195-1245, 1997.
9. Mouhamadou, M., P. Vaudon, and M. Rammal, "Smart antenna arrays patterns synthesis: Null steering and multi-user beamforming by phase control," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 95-106, 2006.
10. Varlamos, P. K. and C. N. Capsalis, "Electronic beam steering using switched parasitic smart antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 36, 101-119, 2002.