In this paper a simple model has been introduced to simulate the propagation of signal in a so called edged microstrip transmission line (EMTL). EMTL is a transmission line in which the signal strip is laid on the edge of the structure (Fig. 1). First a simple structure of EMTL is modeled with an ordinary MTL with improved per unit length inductances and capacitances, and an additional resistance to represent the radiation from the edges. This method is then applied to model a multilayer cross orthogonal EMTL structure as shown in Fig. 2. The model is finally validated using full wave analysis simulator, HFSS. The S-parameters of our model show good agreement with the results of the full wave analysis (HFSS) up to some GHz.
2. Matsanaga, M., M. Katayama, and K. Yasumoto, "Coupled mode analysis of line parameters of coupled microstrip lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 24, 1-17, 1999.
3. Heer and C. Love, "Exact inductance equation for conductors with application to non-complicated geometries," J. Research National Bureau of Standards-C, Vol. 69C, 127-137, 1965.
4. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M. and A. Cheldavi, "Optimum design of microstrip RF interconnections," J. of Electromagnetic Waves and Appl., Vol. 18, No. 12, 1707-1715, 2004.
5. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M. and A. Cheldavi, "Efficient interconnect design using grounded lines," J. of Electromagnetic Waves and Appl., Vol. 17, No. 9, 1289-1300, 2003.
6. Hashemi-Nasab, M. and A. Cheldavi, "Coupling model for the two orthogonal microstrip lines in two layer PCB board (Quasi-TEM approach)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 153-163, 2006.
7. Cheldavi, A. and A. Arshadi, "A simple model for the orthogonal coupled strip line in multilayer PCB: (Quasi-TEM approach)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 39-50, 2006.
8. Edwards, T., Foundation for Microstrip Design, Engalco, Knaresborough, UK, 1991.
9. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1990.
10. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, John Wiley & Sons, 1989.
11. Collin, R. E., Foundation for Microwave Engineering, McGraw- Hill, 1992.
12. Veit, W., H. Diestel, and R. Pregla, "Coupling of crossed planar multiconductor systems," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 30, No. 3, 1990.
13. Pan, G.-W., K. S. Olson, and B. K. Gilbert, "Frequency-domain solution for coupled striplines with crossing strips," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 39, No. 6, 1991.