In this paper an edge coupled microstrip coupler with defected ground structure is presented. A normally 7 dB coupler designed on Alumina substrate is converted into a 3 dB coupler by cutting single rectangular slot in the ground plane encompassing the two transmission lines. Other properties of backward wave coupler remain the same, except for a tighter coupling. With this method of design optimization, it will be possible to fabricate a 3 dB coupler in compact form without strain in fabrication process. The structure is analyzed considering magnetic and electric coupling between the two transmission lines. Simulation based studies show reasonable agreement between analytical results and corresponding simulation results.
2. Kim, C.-S., J.-S. Park, D. Ahn, and J.-B. Lim, "A novel 1- D periodic defected ground structure for planar circuits," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 10, No. 4, 131-133, 2000.
3. Mandal, M. K. and S. Sanyal, "A novel defected ground structure for planar circuits," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 2, 93-95, 2006.
4. Liu, H., Z. Li, and X. Sun, "Compact defected ground structure in microstrip technology," Electronic Letters, Vol. 41, No. 3, 2005.
5. Kim, J.-U., K.-S. Kim, S.-J. Lee, J.-S. Lim, D. Ahn, K.-H. Park, and K.-S. Kim, A new defected ground structure with islands and equivalent circuit model, Microwave Conference Proceedings, Vol. 1, 4-7, 2005.
6. Guha, D., S. Biswas, M. Biswas, J. Y. Siddiqui, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Concentric ring-shaped defected ground structures for microstrip applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 402-405, 2006.
7. Liu, H.-W., Z.-F. Li, X.-W. Sun, and J.-F. Mao, "An improved 1-D periodic defected ground structure for microstrip line," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 4, 180-182, 2004.
8. Chung, Y., S.-S. Jeon, S. Kim, D. Ahn, J.-I. Choi, and T. Itoh, "Multifunctional microstrip transmission lines integrated with defected ground structure for RF front-end application," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 5, 1425-1432, 2004.
9. Mollah, M. N. and N. C. Karmarkar, A novel hybrid defected ground structure as low pass filter, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 4, 20-25, 2004.
10. Park, J.-S., J.-H. Kim, J.-H. Lee, S.-H. Kim, and S.-H. Myung, "A novel equivalent circuit and modeling method for defected ground structure and its application to optimization of a DGS lowpass filter," IEEE MTT-S Digest, 417-420, 2002.
11. Lee, Y.-T., J.-S. Lim, S. Kim, J. Lee, S. Nam, K.-S. Seo, and D. Ahn, "Application of CPW based spiral-shaped defected ground structure to the reduction of phase noise in V-band MMIC oscillator," IEEE MTT-S Digest, 2253-2256, 2003.
12. Jung, M.-S., J.-S. Park, J.-B. Lim, and H.-G. Cho, A novel defected ground structure and its application to a microwave oscillator, 33rd European Microwave Conference, 781-784, 2003.
13. Liu, H. W., T. Yoshimasu, S. Kurachi, J. Chen, Z. F. Li, and X. Sun, A novel microstrip diplexer design using defected ground structure, International Conference on Communications, 1099-1100, 2005.
14. Kim, C.-S., J.-S. Lim, S. Nam, K.-Y. Kang, J.-I. Park, G.- Y. Kim, and D. Ahn, The equivalent circuit modeling of defected ground structure with spiral shape, IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 3, No. 6, 2125-2128, 2002.
15. Lim, J.-S., Y.-T. Lee, C.-S. Kim, D. Ahn, and S. Nam, "A vertically periodic a novel hybrid defected ground structure and its application in reducing the size of microwave circuits," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 12, No. 12, 479-481, 2002.
16. Lim, J.-S., C.-S. Kim, Y.-T. Lee, D. Ahn, and S. Nam, "A spiralshaped defected ground structure for coplanar waveguide," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 12, No. 9, 300-332, 2002.
17. Chang, I. and B. Lee, Design of defected ground structures for harmonic control of active microstrip antenna, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 852-855, 2002.
18. Karmakar, N. C., S. M. Roy, and I. Balbin, "Quasi-static modeling of defected ground structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 5, 2160-2168, 2006.
19. Jordan, E. C. and K. G. Balmain, Electromagnetic Waves and Radiating Systems, Prentice-Hall of India, New Delhi, 2004.
20. Ziolkowski, R. W., "FDTD simulations of reconfigurable electromagneticband gap structures for millimeter wave applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 41, 159-183, 2003.
21. Kung, F. and H.-T. Chuah, "A finite-difference time-domain (FDTD) software for simulation of printed circuit board (PCB) assembly," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 50, 299-335, 2005.
22. Young, J. L. and R. Adams, "Excitation and detection of waves in the FDTD analysis of N-port networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 249-269, 2005.
23. Gao, S., L.-W. Li, and A. Sambell, "FDTD analysis of a dualfrequency microstrip patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 54, 155-178, 2005.