This paper proposes an approximate space-time-frequency field representation for directive Ultra-wideband antennas useful to be introduced into a system-level evaluation tool. Based on the observation that the very near field collected on a plane close to the antenna exhibits a compact support, such a field is processed in the time domain by the two-dimensional Hermite transform. This approach permits to simultaneously express the antenna impulse response and the transfer function by semi-analytical formulas. The theory is demonstrated by numerical examples which highlights that good representations of complex antennas can be achieved by a small set of associate Hermite functions.
2. Marrocco, G., "Modal near-field to far-field transformation for FDTD modelling of aperture antennas," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 17, No. 1, 79-98, 2003.
3. Marrocco, G. and M. Ciattaglia, "Ultra-wide band modelling of transient radiation from aperture antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 10, 2341-2347, 2004.
4. Kogelnik, H. and T. Li, "Laser beams resonators," Appl. Opt., Vol. 5, No. 10, 1550-1567, 1966.
5. Arora, R. K. and Z. Lu, "Graphical depiction of the electromagnetic fields of Hermite-Gaussian modes," IEE Proceed. Microwaves, Vol. 139, No. 4, 369-375, 1992.
6. Garcia-Munoz, V. and M. A. Muriel, "Hermite-gauss series expansions applied to arrayed waveguide gratings," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 17, No. 11, 2331-2333, 2005.
7. Shen, T., W. Dou, and Z. Sun, "Asymmetrical gauss-hermite beam-mode analysis of the hexagonal horn," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 46, No. 10, 1444-1451, 1998.
8. Withington, S. and J. A. Murphy, "Analysis of diagonal horns through Gaussian-Hermite modes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 40, No. 2, 198-206, 1992.
9. Bogush Jr., A. and R. Elkins, "Gaussian field expansions for large aperture antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 34, No. 2, 228-243, 1986.
10. Erteza, I. A. and J. W. Goodman, "A scalar variational analysis of rectangular dielectric waveguides using Hermite-Gaussian modal approximations," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 13, No. 3, 493-506, 1995.
11. Rao, M. M., T. L. Sarkar, T. Anjali, and R. S. Adve, "Simultaneous extrapolation in time and frequency domains using hermite expansions," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 47, No. 6, 1108-1115, 1999.
12. Martens, J. B., "The Hermite transform-theory," IEEE Trans.on Acustic Speech and Signal Processing, Vol. 38, No. 10, 1595-1606, 1990.
13. Bardati, F., E. Di Giampaolo, A. Durantini, and G. Marrocco, Vertical antenna near-field computation in complex environ- mentd by an hybrid method, Proceedings of Applied Computa- tional Electromagnetics Conference (ACES), 975-980, 2000.
14. Shlivinski, A., E. Heyman, and R. Kastner, "Antenna characterization in the time domain," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, No. 7, 1140-1149, 1997.
15. Ciattaglia, M. and G. Marrocco, "Approximate calculation of time-domain effective height for aperture antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 3, 1054-1061, 2005.
16. Yee, K. S., "Numerical solution of initial boundary value problems involving Maxwell's equations in isotropic media," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 14, No. 8, 801-806, 1966.
17. Lo Conte, L. R., R. Merletti, and G. V. Sandri, "Hermite expansion of compact support waveforms: application to myoelectric signals," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., Vol. 41, No. 12, 1147-1159, 1994.
18. Marrocco, G. and F. Bardati, "Time-domain macromodel of planar microwave devices by FDTD and moment expansion," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 49, No. 7, 1321-1328, 2001.
19. Sarkar, T. K. and O. Pereira, "Using the Matrix Pencil method to estimate the parameters of a sum of complex exponentials," IEEE Antennas and Propagat. Magazine, Vol. 37, No. 1, 48-55, 1995.
20. Yaghijan, A. D., "An overview of near-field antenna measure- ments," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 34, No. 1, 30-45, 1984.
21. Press, Q. H., W. T. Vetterling, S. A. Teukolsky, and B. P. Flannery, Numerical Recipes in C, 147-157, 147-157, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, USA, 1992.
22. Agrawall, N. P., G. Kumar, and K. P. Ray, "Wide-band planar monopole antennas," IEEE Trans.Antennas Propagat., Vol. 46, No. 2, 294-295, 1998.
23. Soliman, M. S., A. Hirata, T. Morimoto, and Z.-I. Kawasaki, "Numerical and experimental study on three-dimensional local- ization for ultra-widebandimpulsive noise sources," J. of Electro- magn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 19, No. 2, 175-187, 2005.
24. Klemm, M. and G. Troester, "EM energy absorption in the human body tissues due to UWB antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 62, 261-280, 2006.
25. Eldek, A. A., "Numerical analysis of a small ultra wideband microstrip-FED tap monopole antenna," Progress In Electromag- netics Research, Vol. 65, 59-69, 2006.
26. Eldek, A. A., "Design of double dipole antenna with enhanced usable bandwidth for wideband phased array applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 1-15, 2006.