This paper describes a steerable broadband dielectric antenna with 30% fractional bandwidth, operating at 11 GHz. The structure consists of a hollow cylindrical dielectric pellet of permittivity 6 fed by four probes. Two methods are described for beam forming: 1- Beam forming has been achieved by individually switching between excited probes. The switched excitation mechanism provides the antenna with a reconfigurable radiation beam that can be moved in the azimuth plane. 2- Variable phase excitation of several probes. Complete azimuth sweep was demonstrated by both methods, allowing any desired angle of beam directions. Simulation and experimental results are presented to illustrate the advantages of both designs.
2. James, J. R. and P. S. Hall, Handbook of Microstrip Antennas, Oxford, United Kingdom, Peter Peregrinus, 1989.
3. Itoh, T., "Overview of quasi-planar transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 37, No. 2, 275-280, 1989.
4. Spielman, B. E., "Dissipation loss effects in isolated and coupled transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. MTT-25, No. 8, 648-656, 1977.
5. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, 2, Arteck House, 2001.
6. Tayeb, A., R. Qinjiang, and R. A. Sebak, "Tworing slotfeed dielectric resonator antenna for dual-frequency operation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 44, No. 5, 448-451, 2004.
7. Saed, M. and R. Yadla, "Microstrip-fed low profile and compact dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 151-162, 2006.
8. Rezaei, P., M. Hakkak, and K. Forooraghi, "Design of wideband dielectric resonator antenna with a two-segment structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 111-124, 2006.
9. Kumar, A. V. P., V. Hamsakutty, J. Yohannan, and K. T. Mathew, "Micro-strip fed cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna with a coplanar parasitic strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 143-152, 2006.
10. Coulbaly, Y., T. A. Denidni, and L. Talb, "Design of a broadband hybrid dielectric resonator antenna for x-band applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 12, 1629-1642, 2006.
11. Rezaei, P., M. Hakkak, and K. Forooraghi, "Effect of magnetic layer on the microstrip excited rectangular dielectric resonator antennas bandwidth," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 7, 915-927, 2007.
12. Kishk, A., R. Chair, and K. Lee, "Broadband dielectric resonator antennas excited by L-shaped probe," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 8, 2182-2189, 2006.
13. Lapierre, M., Y. M. M. Antar, A. Ittipiboon, and A. Petosa, "Ultra wideband monopole/dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 1, 97-99, 2005.
14. Kingsley, S. P., D. Iellici, S. G. O' Keefe, P. J. Ollitervo, B. S. Collins, and S. Zhang, "A hybrid ceramic quadband antenna for handset applications," IEEE 6thCAS Symp. on Emerging Technologies, Vol. 2, No. 31, 31-774, 2004.
15. Chee-Parng, C., P. A. Pavovich, R. M. Dragos, and L. Mook- Seng, A compact and wideband rectangular dielectric resonator antenna, Proceedings of 7thEle ctronic Packaging Technology Conference, 7-9, 2005.
16. Kingsley, S. and S. G. O'Kefee, Beam steering and monopulse processing of probe-fed dielectric resonator antennas, IEE Proceedings — Radar, Vol. 146, No. 3, 121-125, 1999.
17. Lapierre, M., Y. M. M. Antar, A. Ittipiboon, and A. Petosa, A wideband monopole antenna using dielectric resonator loading, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3, 22-27, 2003.
18. Junker, G. P., A. Kishk, A. Glisson, and D. Kajifez, "Effect of air gap on cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna operating in TM101 mode," Electronics Letters, Vol. 30, No. 2, 97-98, 1994.
19. Junker, G. P., A. Kishk, A. W. Glisson, and D. Kajfez, "Effect of an air gap around the coaxial probe exciting a cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 30, No. 3, 177-178, 1994.
20. Coulibaly, Y. and T. A. Denidni, "Design of a broadband hybrid dielectric resonator antenna for x-band applications," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 12, 1629-1642, 2006.
21. Chen, Y. B., T. B. Chen, Y. C. Jiao, and F. S. Zhang, "A reconfigurable microstrip antenna with switchable polarization," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 10, 1391-1398, 2006.
22. Wu, W. and Y.-H. Bi, "Switched-beam planar fractal antenna," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 3, 409-415, 2006.
23. Kingsley, S. P. and S. G. O'Keefe, "Steerable-beam multiple-feed dielectric resonator antenna," U.S. Patent 6, 2005.
24. Drossos, G., Z. Wu, and L. E. Davis, "Switchable cylindrical dielectric-resonator antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 32, No. 10, 9862-9864, 1996.
25. Drossos, G., Z. Wu, and L. E. Davis, "Circular polarized cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 32, No. 4, 281-283, 1996.
26. Tassoudji, M. A., E. T. Ozaki, Poway, and Y.-C. Lin, "Circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna," U.S. Patents 6147647, 2000.
27. Kishk, A., R. Chair, and K. Lee, Study of the shaped probe on the cup dielectric resonator antenna for bandwidth enhancement, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 4B, 3-8, 2005.
28. Chen, W., F. Chen, and N. Leng, Multi-feed reconfigurable pattern antenna implemented by switches, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 400-403, 2005.
29. Kishk, A., W. Glisson, and G. P. Junker, "Bandwidth enhancement for split cylindrical dielectric resonator antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 33, 97-118, 2001.