The characteristics of the guided electromagnetic wave propagation through a slab waveguide of uniaxially anisotropic dispersive metamaterial are investigated. Taking the cold plasma media model with ωmpz < ωmp⊥ < ωep⊥ as an example,the mode classification established in terms of the operating angular frequency ω0 of the slab waveguide. The results indicate that the mode properties are closely dependent on the frequency. When ω2 mpz < ω20 < ω2mp⊥ there are infinite guided modes. It is also found that when ω2em < ω20 < ω2mpz,there may be multiple solutions of the propagating mode with imaginary transverse wave number in a slab waveguide with thickness less than a certain value.
2. Ding, W., L. Chen, and C. H. Liang, "Characteristics of electromagnetic wave propagation in biaxially anisotropic left-handed materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 37-52, 2007.
3. Chen, L., W. Ding, X. J. Dang, and C. H. Liang, "Coun terpropagating energy-flows in nonlinear left-handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 257-267, 2007.
4. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Exp erimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, No. 4, 77-79, 2001.
5. Pendry, J. B., "Negativ e refraction makes a perfect lens," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 85, No. 18, 3966-3969, 2000.
6. Xu, W., L. W. Li, H. Y. Yao, and T. S. Yeo, "Left-handed material effects on waves modes and resonant frequencies: filled waveguide structures and substrate-loaded patch antennas," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 19, 2033-2047, 2005.
7. Grzegorczyk, T. M. and J. A. Kong, "Review of left-handed metamaterials: evolution from theoretical and numerical studies to potential applications," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 14, 2053-2064, 2006.
8. Ruppin, R., "Surface polaritons of a left-handed medium," Phys. Lett. A, Vol. 277, No. 1, 61-64, 2000.
9. Michael, W. F., P . J. Bevelacqua, and J. B. Schneider, "Effects of surface waves on the behavior of perfect lenses," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 66, No. 3, 2002.
10. Darmanyan, S. A., M. Neviere, and A. A. Zakhidov, "Surface modes at the interface of conventional and left-handed media," Optics Communications, Vol. 225, No. 4, 233-240, 2003.
11. Cory, H. and A. Barger, "Surface-w ave propagation along a metamaterial slab," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 38, No. 5, 392-395, 2003.
12. Baccarelli, P ., P . Burghignoli, F. Frezza, A. Galli, P . Lampariello, G. Lovat, and S. Paulotto, "F undamental modal properties of surface waves on metamaterial grounded slabs," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1431-1442, 2005.
13. Wu, B.-I., T. M. Grzegorczyk, Y. Zhang, and J. A. Kong, "Guided modes with imaginary transverse wave number in a slab waveguide with negative permittivity and permeability," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 93, No. 11, 9386-9388, 2003.
14. Lu, J., B.-I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "guided modes with a linearly varying transverse field inside a left-handed dielectric slab," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 5, 689-697, 2006.
15. Hu, L. and S. T. Chui, "Characteristics of electromagnetic wave propagation in uniaxially anisotropic left-handed materials," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 66, 2002.
16. Lindell, I. V. and S. Ilvonen, "W aves in a slab of uniaxial BW medium," J. Electromagn. Waves Appl., Vol. 16, No. 3, 303-318, 2002.
17. Cheng, Q. and T. J. Cui, "Guided modes in a planar anisotropic biaxial slab with partially negative permittivity and permeability," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 87, No. 17, 2005.
18. Cheng, Q. and T. J. Cui, "Infinite guided modes in a planar waveguide with a biaxially anisotropic metamaterial," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 23, No. 8, 1989-1993, 2006.
19. Satomura, Y., M. Matsuhara, and N. Kumagai, "Analysis of electromagnetic-wave modes in anisotropic slab waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 22, No. 2, 86-92, 1974.
20. Collin, R. E., Field Theory of Guided Waves, McGra w-Hill, New York, 1960.
21. Ziolkowski, R. W., "Sup erluminal transmission of information through an electromagnetic metamaterial," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 63, No. 4, 2001.
22. Cui, T. J. and J. A. Kong, "Time-domain electromagnetic energy in a frequency-dispersive left-handed medium," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 70, 2004.