The optimization and simulated realization of planar 2-D antenna array with a flat-top shaped-beam pattern are proposed in this paper. The shaped-beam planar array can be used as an element of Very Large Array for the Deep Space Detection. A conventional genetic algorithm is chosen for the optimization. However, the synthesis of flat-top shaped-beam using a planar 2-D array is difficult because of the inherently large number of degrees of freedom involved in the algorithm (in generally, the amplitude and phase of each element must be determined). Therefore, a sub-array rotation method, which lies on the flat-top pattern synthesis itself, is proposed in this study to resolve the design problem. Besides, the proposed synthesis has taken the actual element patterns but identical and isotropic ones into account, which can reduce the error between computation and realization. A 8*8 (64)-element rectangular array is exampled, and the results of the optimized flat-top patterns are shown to illustrate the validity and high efficiency of the technique.
2. Rahmat-Samii, Y. and E. Michielssen, Electromagnetic Optimization by Genetic Algorithms, Wiley, New York, 1999.
3. Weile, D. S. and E. Michielssen, "Genetic algorithm optimization applied to electromagnetics: A review," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 45, 343-353, 1997.
4. Lu, Y. Q., "Optimization of broadband top-load antenna using micro-genetic algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 6, 793-801, 2006.
5. Rao, K. S., "A template for shaped-beam satellite antenna patterns," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 36, 1633-1637, 1988.
6. Buckley, M. J., "Synthesis of shaped beam antenna patterns using implicitly constrained current elements," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 44, 192-197, 1996.
7. Marcano, D. and F. Duran, "Synthesis of antenna arrays using genetic algorithms," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Mag., Vol. 42, 12-19, 2000.
8. Soltankarimi, F., J. Nourinia, and C. Ghobadi, "Side lobe level optimization in phased array antennas using genetic algorithm," Proc. Int. Symp. on Antennas and Propagation, 389-393, 2004.
9. Lei, J., G. Fu, L. Yang, and D. M. Fu, "Multi-objective optimization design of the YAGI-UDA antenna with an X-shape driven dipole," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 7, 963-972, 2007.
10. Hwang, R. B. and T. C. Pu, "A planar shaped-beam antenna for indoor wireless lan access points," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 55, 1871-1878, 2007.
11. Cui, B., J. Zhang, and X. W. Sun, "Single layer micro-strip antenna arrays applied in millimeter-wave radar," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 1, 3-15, 2008.
12. Donelli, M., S. Caorsi, F. de Natale, D. Franceschini, and A. Massa, "Versatile enhanced genetic algorithm for planar array design," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 11, 1533-1548, 2004.
13. Villegas, F. J., "Parallel genetic-algorithm optimization of shaped beam coverage areas using planar 2-D phased arrays," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 55, 1745-1753, 2007.
14. Vasiliadis, T. G., A. G. Dimitriou, and G. D. Sergiadis, "A novel technique for the approximation of 3-D antenna radiation patterns," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 53, 2212-2219, 2005.