The modal dispersion relation of electromagnetic waves in a Bragg fiber having plasma in the cladding regions is investigated analytically. The proposed Bragg fiber consists of a low index central region having air surrounded by a large number of periodic cladding layers of alternating high and low refractive indices of dielectric and plasma respectively. The modal dispersion relation is obtained by solving Maxwell wave equations using a simple boundary matching method. The analysis shows that the normalized frequency parameter (also called V -number) is frequency independent. This indicates that the proposed Bragg fiber may be used for single mode operation without high frequency limitation as well as with little loss of energy compared to the conventional dielectric waveguide.
2. Yeh, P. and A. Yariv, "Theory of bragg fiber," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 68, 1196-1201, 1978.
3. Fink, Y., D. J. Ripin, S. Fan, C. Chen, J. D. Joannopoulos, and E. L. Thomas, "Guiding optical light in air using an all-dielectric structure," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 17, 2039-2041, 1999.
4. Georgr, G., Y. Xu, and A. Yariv, "Comparative study of air core and coaxial Bragg fibers: Single mode transmission and dispersion characteristics," Optics Express, Vol. 9, 733-746, 2001.
5. Maurya, S. N., V. Singh, B. Prasad, and S. P. Ojha, "An optical waveguide with a hypocycloidal core cross-section having a conducting sheath helical winding on the core cladding boundary --- A comparative modal dispersion study vis-a-vis standard fiber with a sheath winding," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 10, 1307-1326, 2005.
6. Prajapati, Y., V. Singh, and J. P. Saini, "Modal analysis and dispersion curves of a Bragg fiber having asymmetric loop boundary," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 87, 117-130, 2008.
7. Samuel, E. P. and D. S. Patil, "Analysis of wavefunction distribution in quantum well biased laser diode using transfer matrix method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 119-128, 2008.
8. Ghorbaninejad, H. and M. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, "Compact bandpass filters utilizing dielectric filled waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 105-115, 2008.
9. Dasgupta, S., B. P. Pal, and M. R. Shenoy, Bragg Fibers: Guided Wave Optical Components and Devices, B. P. Pal (eds.), Elsevier, 2005.
10. Xu, Y., R. K. Lee, and A. Yariv, "Asymptotic analysis of Bragg fibers," Optics Letters, Vol. 25, 1756-1758, 2000.
11. Xu, Y., G. X. Ouyang, R. K. Lee, and A. Yariv, "Asymptotic matrix theory of Bragg fiber," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 20, 428-440, 2002.
12. Xu, Y., et al., "Asymptotic analysis of silicon based Bragg fibers," Optics Express, Vol. 2, 1039-49, 2004.
13. Marcon, J., F. Brechet, and P. Roy, "Design of weakly guiding Bragg fibers for chromatic dispersion shifting toward short wavelengths," J. Opt. A, Vol. 3, S144-S153, 2001.
14. Argyros, A., "Guided modes and loss in Bragg fibers," Optics Express, Vol. 10, 1411-1417, 2002.
15. Pal, B. P., S. Dasgupta, and M. R. Shenoy, "Bragg fiber design for transparent metro networks," Optics Express, Vol. 13, 621-624, 2005.
16. Dasgupta, S., B. P. Pal, and M. R. Shenoy, "Design of dispersion compensating Bragg fiber with an ultrahigh figure of merit," Optics Express, Vol. 30, 1917-1919, 2005.
17. Singh, V., Y. Prajapati, and J. P. Saini, "Modal analysis and dispersion curves of a new unconventional Bragg waveguide using a very simple method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 191-204, 2006.
18. Shen, H. M., "Plasma waveguide: A concept to transfer electromagnetic energy in space," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 69, 6827-6835, 1991.
19. Shen, H. M. and H. Y. Pao, "The plasma waveguide with a finite thickness of cladding," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 70, 6653, 1991.
20. Hoja, H. and A. Mase, "Dispersion relation of EM waves in one dimensional Plasma photonic crystal," J. Plasma Fusion Research, Vol. 89, 177, 2004.
21. Hu, B. J. and C. L. Ruan, "Propagation properties of a plasma waveguide in an external magnetic field," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 31, 2151-2154, 1998.
22. Yang, Y. and L. Shenggang, "Dispersion characteristics of plasma mode in corrugated plasma waveguide," International J. Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 20, 1725-1730, 1999.
23. Mirzanejhad, S. and B. Maraghechi, "Dispersion characteristics of waves in a waveguide with an annular plasma column," Physics of Plasma, Vol. 5, 4070-4078, 1998.
24. Vivek, S., M. Joshi, B. Prasad, and S. P. Ojha, "Modal dispersion characteristics and waveguide dispersion of an optical waveguide having a new unconventional core cross-section," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 4, 455-468, 2004.
25. Vivek, S., S. N. Maurya, B. Prasad, and S. P. Ojha, "Conducting sheath helical winding on the core-cladding interface of a lightguide having a Piet Hein core cross-section and a standard optical fiber of circular cross-section --- A comparative study," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 231-249, 2006.
26. Maurya, S. N., V. Singh, B. Prasad, and S. P. Ojha, "Modal analysis and waveguide dispersion of an optical waveguide having a cross section of the shape of a cardiod," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 8, 1021-1035, 2006.
27. Kong, J. A., Electromagnetic Wave Theory, EMW Publishing, 2005.