This paper links the multipath smart antenna CDMA system signal detection problem to the PARAllel profiles with LINear Dependencies (PARALIND), and derives a deterministic blind PARALIND algorithm whose performance is very close to nonblind space-time minimum mean square error (ST-MMSE) method. The blind PARALIND algorithm has the better performance than spacetime matched filter. The proposed PARALIND algorithm also works well in array error condition. Most notably, it does not require knowledge of the DOA (Direction Of Arrival) and channel fading information.
2. Baier, A., "Design study for a CDMA-based third generation mobile radio system," IEEE Jourmal on Sel. Areas in Com., Vol. 12, No. 4, 733-743, 1994.
3. Brunner, C., M. Haardt, and J. A. Nossek, "On space-time Rake receiver structures for WCDMA," Proc. 33rd Asilomar Conf. on Signals, Systems, and Computers, Vol. 2, 1546-1551, 1999.
4. Wang, X. and H. V. Poor, "Space-time multiuser detection in multipath CDMA channel," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 47, No. 9, 2356-2374, 1999.
5. Miller, S. Y. and S. C. Schwartz, "Integrated spatial-temporal detectors for asynchronous gaussian multiple-access channels," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 43, 396-411, 1995.
6. Nagatsuka, M. and R. Kohno, "A spatially and temporally optimal multi-user receiver using an array antenna for DS/CDMA," IEICE Trans. Commun., Vol. E78-B, No. 11, 1489-1497, 1995.
7. Hamouda, W. and P. McLane, "Performance analysis of space-time MMSE multiuser detection for coded DS-CDMA systems in multipathfading channels," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 5, No. 4, 829-838, 2006.
8. Zheng, L., S. Ouyang, and H. Qiu, "A space-time multiuser detection based on the RLS-LMF algorithm," Journal of Xidian University, Vol. 33, No. 5, 782-786, 2006.
9. Al-Bayati, A. K. S., S. Prakriya, and S. Prasad, "Semi-blind space-time receiver for multiuser detection of DS/CDMA signals in multipath channels," IEE Proceedings — Communications, Vol. 153, No. 3, 410-418, 2006.
10. Liu, T. and L. Zhang, "The improved space-time MOE blind multiuser detection algorithm," 2006 the International Conference on Wireless Mobile and Multimedia Networks Proceedings, 4, 2006.
11. Kong, A. and C. Wan, "A novel blind space-time multiuser detector for DS-CDMA system," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 10, No. 3, 177-179, 2006.
12. Smilde, A., R. Bro, and P. Geladi, Multi-way Analysis: Applications in the Chemical Sciences, John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, U.K., 2004.
13. Harshman, R. A., "Foundations of the PARAFAC procedure: Model and conditions for an `explanatory' multi-mode factor analysis," UCLA Working Papers Phonetics, Vol. 16, 1-84, 1970.
14. Carroll, J. D. and J. Chang, "Analysis of individual differences in multidimensional scaling via an N-way generalization of ``Eckart-Young'' decomposition," Psychometrika, Vol. 35, No. 3, 283-319, 1970.
15. De Lathauwer, L., B. De Moor, and J. Vandewalle, "Computation of the canonical decomposition by means of a simultaneous generalized schur decompositition," SIAM J. Matrix Anal. Appl., Vol. 26, No. 2, 295-327, 2004.
16. De Lathauwer, L., "A link between the canonical decomposition in multilinear algebra and simultaneous matrix diagonalization," SIAM J. Matrix Anal. Appl., Vol. 28, No. 3, 642-666, 2006.
17. Kruskal, J. B., "Three-way arrays: Rank and uniqueness of trilinear decompositions, with application to arithmetic complexity and statistics," Linear Algebra Applicat., Vol. 18, 95-138, 1977.
18. Sidiropoulos, N. D., G. B. Giannakis, and R. Bro, "Blind PARAFAC receivers for DS-CDMA systems," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 48, 810-823, 2000.
19. Sidiropoulos, N. D., R. Bro, and G. B. Giannakis, "Parallel factor analysis in sensor array processing," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 48, No. 8, 2377-2388, 2000.
20. Yue, R., S. A. Vorobyov, A. B. Gershman, and N. D. Sidiropoulos, "Blind spatial signature estimation via time-varying user power loading and parallel factor analysis," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 53, No. 5, 1697-1710, 2005.
21. Zhang, X., Y. Shi, and D. Xu, "Novel blind joint direction of arrival and polarization estimation for polarization-sensitive uniform circular array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 86, 19-37, 2008.
22. Zhang, X., D. Wang, and D. Xu, "Novel blind joint direction of arrival and frequency estimation for uniform linear array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 86, 199-215, 2008.
23. Zhang, X. and D. Xu, "Deterministic blind beamforming for rlectromagnetic vector sensor array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 363-377, 2008.
24. Zhang, X., B. Feng, and D. Xu, "Blind joint symbol detection and DOA estimation for OFDM system with antenna array," Wireless Pers. Commun., Vol. 46, 371-383, 2008.
25. Shi, Y. and X. Zhang, "Quadrilinear decomposition-based blind signal detection for polarization sensitive uniform square array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 87, 263-278, 2008.
26. Zhang, X. and D. Xu, "Blind PARAFAC signal detection for polarization sensitive array," EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, Vol. 2007, 2007.
27. Yu, Y. and A. P. Petropulu, "Parafac based blind estimation of MIMO systemswithp ossibly more inputs than outputs," IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Vol. 3, 133-136, 2006.
28. Kleanthis, N. M., N. D. Sidiropoulos, and A. Potamianos, "Blind speechseparation using parafac analysis and integer least squares," IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Vol. 5, 73-76, 2006.
29. Zhang, X. and D. Xu, "Blind PARAFAC receiver for space-time block-coded CDMA system," 2006 International Conference on Communications, Circuits and Systems Proceedings, 675-678, 2006.
30. Zhang, X. and D. Xu, "PARAFAC multiuser detection for SIMO-CDMA system," 2006 International Conference on Communications, Circuits and Systems Proceedings, 744-747, 2006.
31. Zhang, X. and D. Xu, "Blind source separation for two-dimension spread spectrum system based on trilinear decomposition," Journal of Circuits, Systems, and Computers, Vol. 17, No. 2, 297-308, 2008.
32. Bro, R., R. A. Harshman, and N. D. Sidiropoulos, "Modeling multi-way data with linearly dependent loadings," Technical Report 2005-176, KVL, 2005.
33. Bro, R., R. Harshman, and N. D. Sidiropoulos, "Rank-deficient models for multi-way data," J. Chemometrics, 2006.
34. Sidiropoulos, N. D. and G. Dimic, "Blind multiuser detection in W-CDMA systems withlarge delay spread," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 8, No. 3, 87-89, 2001.
35. Bro, R., "PARAFAC. Tutorial and applications," Chemom. Intell. Lab. Syst., Vol. 38, No. 2, 149-171, 1997.
36. Constantinos, B. P. and H. Huang, "Linear space-time multiuser detection for multipath CDMA channels," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Comm., Vol. 19, No. 2, 254-265, 2001.
37. Walaa, H. and J. M. Peter, "Performance of space-time MMSE adaptive receivers in DS-CDMA systems using FEC coding in flat fast-fading channels," IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, 1049-1056, 2002.
38. Tsatsanis, M. K. and Z. Xu, "Performance analysis of minimum variance CDMA receivers," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 46, 3014-3022, 1998.
39. Mouhamadou, M., P. Vaudon, and M. Rammal, "Smart antenna array patterns synthesis: Null steering and multi-user beamforming by phase control," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 95-106, 2006.
40. Mukhopadhyay, M., B. K. Sarkar, and A. Chakrabarty, "Augmentation of anti-jam GPS system using smart antenna with a simple DOA estimation algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 231-249, 2007.
41. Gustafsson, M., "RCS reduction of integrated antenna arrays withresistive sheets," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 1, 27-40, 2006.
42. Fu, Y.-Q., Q.-R. Zheng, Q. Gao, and G. Zhang, "Mutual coupling reduction between large antenna arrays using electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 6, 819-825, 2006.
43. Li, B., B. Wu, and C.-H. Liang, "Highgain circular waveguide array antenna using electromagnetic band-gap structure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 7, 955-966, 2006.
44. Guo, J., J.-Y. Li, and Q.-Z. Liu, "Analysis of antenna array with arbitrarily shaped radomes using fast algorithm based on VSIE," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 10, 1399-1410, 2006.
45. Psarros, I. and G. Fikioris, "Two-term theory for infinite linear array and application to study of resonances," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 5, 623-645, 2006.
46. Zhang, X., J. Yu, G. Feng, and D. Xu, "Blind direction of arrival estimation of coherent sources using multi-invariance property," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 181-195, 2008.
47. Lei, J., G. Fu, L. Yang, and D. M. Fu, "An omnidirectional printed dipole array antenna withsh aped radiation pattern in the elevation plane," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 1955-1966, 2006.
48. Zhang, X., Z. Wang, and D. Xu, "Wavelet packet transform-based least mean square beamformer with low complexity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 86, 291-304, 2008.
49. Gu, Y.-J., Z.-G. Shi, K. S. Chen, and Y. Li, "Robust adaptive beamforming for steering vector uncertainties based on equivalent DOAs method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 277-290, 2008.