Based on composite right/left-handed (CRLH) transmission line (TL),a novel series feed network for microstrip arrays is proposed and its theoretical analysis and experimental results are presented. In the present structure,p ower dividers and open-ended stubs are employed to even the amplitude distributions among different output ports,while CRLH TLs and short meandering lines are used to compensate the phase delay caused by the different lengths of righthanded (RH) TLs. Finally,an X-band series feed network is designed and fabricated as an example. The simulated and measured results indicate that the present design can achieve even amplitude and phase distributions among different output ports in the range of 8.8-9.6 GHz. And it has other advantages such as a compact size of 350mm×50mm and good return loss which is higher than 22 dB in the operation frequency.
2. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, 2nd Ed., 719-726, Artech House Inc, 1998.
3. Zhu, Q., J. Zhu, W. Lu, L. Wu, and S. Xu, "Dual-linearlypolarized microstrip array based on composite right/left-handed transmission line," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 7, 1366-1369, July 2006.
4. Williams, J. C., "Cross fed printed aerials," 7th European Microwave Conference, 292-296, 1977.
5. Chen, H., B.-I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Review of electromagnetic theory in left-handed materials," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 2137-2151, 2006.
6. Xu, W., L. W. Li, H. Y. Yao, T. S. Yeo, and Q. Wu, "Lefthanded materials effects on waves modes and resonant frequencies: Filled waveguide structures and substrate-loaded patch antennas," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, 2033-2047, 2005.
7. Niu, J.-X. and X.-L. Zhou, "Analysis of balanced composite right/left handed structure based on different dimensions of complementary split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 74, 341-351, 2007.
8. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, "Application of the transmission line theory of left-handed (LH) materials to the realization of a microstrip LH line ," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 412-415, Indianap olis USA, June 2002.
9. Wang, Z.-J. and J. F. Dong, "Analysis of guided modes in asymmetric left-handed slab waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 62, 203-215, 2006.
10. Guo, Y. and R. M. Xu, "Planar metamaterials supporting multiple left-handed modes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 66, 239-251, 2006.
11. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, "Transmission line approach of left-handed (LH) materials and microstrip implementation of an artificial LH transmission line," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 5, 1159-1166, May 2004.
12. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 2nd Ed., 271-291, John Wiley & Sons Inc, 1998.
13. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, Wiley, New York, 2005.
14. Zhu, Q. and H. Liao, "Design of printed antenna with lefthanded," 2005 Microwave Conference Proceedings, Asia-Pacific Conference Proceedings, Vol. 4, Dec. 2005.
15. Yu, A., F. Yang, and A. Elsherbeni, "A dual band circularly polarized ring antenna based on composite right and left handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 78, 73-81, 2008.
16. Sanada, A., K. Murakami, S. Aso, H. Kubo, and K. Awai, "A via-free microstrip left-handed transmission line," IEEE MTT-S Digest, Vol. 1, 301-304, June 2004.
17. Horii, Y., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Narrow passband response of unbalanced CRLH transmission line structure composed of capacitively coupled dielectric resonators," 2005 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 4, June 2005.
18. Zhang, J., Q. Zhu, J. Lai, and S. Xu, "Realization of even amplitude and phase distributions in series feed configuration with composite right and left handed transmission lines ," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Society International, SanDiego, USA, July 2008.
19. Chen, L., Q. Zhu, and S. Xu, "Delay lines based on left-handed transmission line structure," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 10, 1998-2001, Oct. 2006.