A through-wall imaging problem is tackled by means a linear inverse scattering approach described and numerically analyzed in previous works by the same authors. Here, such an approach is checked for against experimental data. To this end, a CW-SF ultrawideband radar system is used to take measurements in a controlled environment as well as for in situ experiments. Different types of scatterers and of obscuring walls are considered.
2. Frazier, L., "MDR for law enforcement," IEEE Potent., Vol. 16, 23-26, 1998.
3. Song, L. P., C. Yu, and Q. H. Liu, "Through-wall imaging (TWI) by radar: 2-D tomographic results and analyses," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remot. Sens., Vol. 43, 2793-2798, 2005.
4. Soldovieri, F., R. Solimene, A. Brancaccio, and R. Pierri, "Localization of the interfaces of a slab hidden behind a wall," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remot. Sens., Vol. 45, 2471-2482, 2007.
5. Baranoski, E. J., "Through-wall imaging: Historical perspective and future directions," J. Frank. Inst., Vol. 345, 556-569, 2008.
6. Withington, P., H. Fuhler, and S. Nag, "Enhanching homeland security with advanced UWB sensors," IEEE Microw. Mag., Vol. 4, 51-58, 2003.
7. Frazier, L. M., "Surveillance through walls and other opaque materials," IEEE National Radar Conference, 27-31, 1996.
8. Yang, Y. and A. E. Fathy, "See-through-wall imaging using ultra wideband short-pulse radar system," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 334-337, 2005.
9. Hunnt, A. R., "Image formation through walls using a distributed radar sensor array," Proceedings of the 32nd Applied Imagery Pattern Recognition Workshop (AIPR'03), IEEE, 2003.
10. Ahmad, F., M. G. Amin, and S. A. Kassam, "Syntethic aperture beamformer for imaging through a dielectric wall," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electr. Systm., Vol. 41, 271-283, 2005.
11. Venkatasubramanian, V. and H. Leung, "A novel chaos-based high-resolution technique and its application to through-the-wall imaging," IEEE Sign. Process. Lett., Vol. 12, 528-531, 2005.
12. Soldovieri, F. and R. Solimene, "Through-wall imaging via a linear inverse scattering algorithm," IEEE Geosc. Rem. Sens. Lett., Vol. 4, 513-517, 2007.
13. Chew, W. C., Waves and Fields in Inhomogeneous Media, IEEE Press, Piscataway, NJ, 1995.
14. Caorsi, S., M. Donelli, A. Lommi, and A. Massa, "Location and imaging of two-dimensional scatterers by using a particle swarm algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, 481-494, 2004.
15. Huang, C. H., Y. F. Chen, and C. C. Chiu, "Permittivity distribution reconstruction of dielectric objects by a cascaded method ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 145-159, 2007.
16. Ahamd, F., M. G. Amin, and G. Mandapati, "Autofocusing of through-the-wall radar imagery under unknown wall characterisitics," IEEE Trans. Imag. Process., Vol. 16, 1785-1795, 2007.
17. Bertero, M. and P. Boccacci, Introduction to Inverse Problems in Imaging, Institute of Physics, Bristol, UK, 1998.
18. Hansen, P. C., J. G. Nagy, and D. P. O'Leary, Deblurring Images: Matrices, Spectra, and Filtering, SIAM, 2008.
19. Porter, R. P. and A. J. Devaney, "Generalized holography and computational solutions to inverse source problems," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 72, 1707-1713, 1982.
20. Parrini, F., M. Fratini, M. Pieraccini, C. Atzeni, G. De Pasquale, P. Ruggiero, F. Soldovieri, and A. Brancaccio, "ULTRA: Wideband ground penetrating radar," Proc. of European Radar Conference EURAD 2006, Manchester, UK, Sep. 2006.
21. Brancaccio, A., F. Soldovieri, G. Leone, D. Sglavo, and R. Pierri, "Microwave characterization of materials in civil engineering," Proc. European Microwave Assoc., Vol. 6, 128-135, 2006.