We present a practical and simple method for calculating the mutual inductance between two non-coaxial circular coils with parallel axes. All possible circular coils such as coils of rectangular cross section, thin wall solenoids, thin disk coils (pancakes) and circular filamentary coils are taken into consideration. We use Grover's formula for the mutual inductance between two filamentary circular coils with parallel axes. The filament method is applied for all coil combinations, for coils of the rectangular cross section and for thin coils. We consider that the proposed method is very simple, accurate and practical for engineering applications. Computed mutual inductance values obtained by the proposed method have been verified by previously published data and the software Fast-Henry. All results are in a very good agreement. This method can be used in various electromagnetic applications such as coil guns, tubular linear motors, transducers, actuators and biomedical implanted sensors.
2. Babic, S. and C. Akyel, "Calculating mutual inductance between circular coils with inclined axes in air," IEEE Trans.Magn., Vol. 44, No. 7, 1743-1750, July 2008.
3. Grover, F. W., Inductance Calculations, Chaps. 2 and 13, Dover, New York, 1964.
4. Dwight, H. B., Electrical Coils and Conductors, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, 1945.
5. Snow, C., Formulas for Computing Capacitance and Inductance, National Bureau of Standards Circular 544, Washington DC, Dec. 1954.
6. Kalantarov, P. L., Inductance Calculations, National Power Press, Moscow, 1955.
7. Babic, S. and C. Akyel, "An improvement in calculation of the self- and mutual inductance of thin-wall solenoids and disk coils," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 36, No. 4, 678-684, 2000.
8. Akyel, C., S. Babic, and S. Kincic, "New and fast procedures for calculating the mutual inductance of coaxial circular coils (disk coil — Circular coil)," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 38, No. 5, Part 1, 1367-1369, 2002.
9. Babic, S., C. Akyel, and S. J. Salon, "New procedures for calculating the mutual inductance of the system: Filamentary circular coil-massive circular solenoid," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 38, No. 5, 1131-1134, 2003.
10. Babic, S., S. J. Salon, and C. Akyel, "The mutual inductance of two thin coaxial disk coils in air," IEEE Trans. on Magn., Vol. 40, No. 1, 822-825, 2004.
11. Babic, S. I. and C. Akyel, "New mutual inductance calculation of the magnetically coupled coils: Thin disk coil — Thin wall solenoid," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Appllications, Vol. 20, No. 10, 1281-1290, 2006.
12. Babic, S. I. and C. Akyel, "New analytic-numerical solutions for the mutual inductance of two coaxial circular coils with rectangular cross section in air," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 42, No. 6, 1661-1669, Jun. 2006.
13. Koledintseva, M. Y., J. L. Drewniak, T. P. Van Doren, D. J. Pommerenke, M. Cocchini, and D. M. Hockanson, "Method of edge currents for calculating mutual external inductance in a microstrip structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 80, 197-224, 2008.
14. Koledintseva, M. Y., J. L. Drewniak, T. P. Van Doren, D. J. Pommerenke, M. Cocchini, and D. M. Hockanson, "Mutual external inductance in stripline structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 80, 349-368, 2008.
15. Chaoui, M., H. Ghariani, M. Lahiani, F. Sellami, and , "Maximum of mutual inductance by inductive link," The 14th Onternational Conference on Microelectronics 2002-ICM, 265-268, Dec. 11-13, 2002.
16. Conway, J. T., "Inductance calculations for noncoaxial coils using bessel functions," IEEE Trans. on Magn., Vol. 43, No. 3, 1023-1034, Mar. 2007.
17. Conway, J. T., "Noncoaxial inductance calculations without the vector potential for axisymmetric coils and planar coils," IEEE Trans. on Magn., Vol. 44, No. 4, 453-462, Apr. 2008.
18. Ravaud, R., G. Lemarquand, V. Lemarquand, and C. Depollier, "Discussion about the analytical calculation of the magnetic field created by permanent magnets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 11, 281-297, 2009.
19. Ravaud, R., G. Lemarquand, V. Lemarquand, and C. Depollier, "Magnetic field produced by a tile permanent magnet whose polarization is both uniform and tangential ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 1-20, 2009.
20. Ravaud, R. and G. Lemarquand, "Discussion about the magnetic field produced by cylindrical Halbach Structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 275-308, 2009.
21. Kamon, M., M. J. Tsuk, and J. White, "Fast-Henry: A multipole-accelerated 3-D inductance extraction program," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 42, 1750-1758, Sep. 1994.
22. Abramowitz, M. and I. A. Stegun, Handbook of Mathematical Functions, National Burea of Standards Applied Mathematics, Series 5, Washington DC, Dec. 1972.