The characteristics of a slot antenna on a perfectly conducting elliptic cylinder coated by nonconfocal chiral media are investigated. The structure is fed with a line source or plane wave. The analysis is carried out by expressing the fields in and around the cylinder in terms of Mathieu and modified Mathieu functions using the separation of variable and exact boundary value technique. The unknown aperture field is expressed in terms of Fourier series with unknown expansion coefficients. The expansion coefficients are found by applying the boundary conditions on different surfaces and employing the addition theorem and orthogonality properties of the Mathieu functions. For TM and TE cases some numerical results of the antenna gain for co- and cross-polarized waves are presented and discussed.
2. Wait, J. R., Electromagnetic Radiation from Cylindrical Structures, Pergamon Press, Inc., New York, NY, 1959.
3. Wolff, E. W., Antenna Analysis, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., USA, 1966.
4. Hurd, R. A., "Radiation patterns of a dielectric coated axially-slotted cylinder," Canadian J. Phys., Vol. 34, 638-642, 1956.
5. Mushref, M. A., "TM radiation from an eccentric dielectric coated cylinder with two axial slots," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 5, 577-590, 2005.
6. Wong, J. Y., "Radiation conductance of axial and transverse slots in cylinders of elliptical cross section," Proc. Inst. Radio Eng., Vol. 41, 1172-1177, 1953.
7. Wong, J. Y., "Radiation patterns of slotted-elliptic cylinder antennas ," IRE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 3, 200-203, 1955.
8. Hussein, M., A. Sebak, and M. Hamid, "Scattering and coupling properties of a slotted elliptic cylinder," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 36, No. 1, 1994.
9. Hinata, T. and H. Hosono, "Scattering of electromagnetic waves by an axially slotted conducting elliptic cylinder," MMET'96 Proceedings, 28-31, 1996.
10. Richmond, J. H., "Axial slot antenna on dielectric-coated elliptic cylinder," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 37, No. 10, 1989.
11. Ragheb, H. A., A. Sebak, and L. Shafai, "Radiation by axial slots on a dielectric-coated nonconfocal conducting elliptic cylinder," IEE Proc. Microwave Antennas Propagation, Vol. 143, No. 2, 1996.
12. Tsalamengas, J. L. and G. Veronis, "Radiation and receiving characteristics of parallel plate-fed slot antennas loaded by a dielectric cylinder: TE-case," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 13, 903-922, 1999.
13. Hamid, A. K., "Axially slotted antenna on a circular or elliptic cylinder coated with metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 329-341, 2005.
14. Khatir, B. N. and A. Sebak, "Coupling properties of slotted elliptic cylinder coated by dielectric/metamaterials," URSI GA08 Chicago, USA, Aug. 7-16, 2008.
15. Erricolo, D., M. D. Lockard, C. M. Butler, and P. L. E. Uslenghi, "Numerical analysis of penetration, radiation, and scattering for a 2D slotted semielliptical channel filled with isorefractive material," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 69-89, 2005.
16. Khatir, B. N. and A. Sebak, "Transverse electric wave scattering by parallel two-layer elliptic cylinders," EMTS, Ottawa, Canada, 2007.
17. Khatir, B. N. and A. R. Sebak, "Electromagnetic wave scattering by parallel dielectric/metamaterial coated elliptic cylinders," International Review on Modelling and Simulations (IREMOS), Vol. 0, No. 0, 41-48, 2008.
18. Kluskens, M. S. and E. H. Newman, "Scattering by a chiral cylinder of arbitrary cross section," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, No. 9, 1990.
19. Kluskens, M. S. and E. H. Newman, "Scattering by multilayer chiral cylinder," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 1, 1991.
20. Al-Kanhal, M. A. and E. Arvas, "Electromagnetic scattering from a chiral cylinder of arbitrary cross section," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 44, No. 7, 1041-1048, 1996.
21. Khatir, B. N. and A. Sebak, "Transverse electric wave scattering by elliptic chiral cylinder," ANTEM/URSI 2006, Canada, 2006.
22. Khatir, B. N., M. Al-Kanhal, and A. Sebak, "Electromagnetic wave scattering by elliptic chiral cylinder," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 10, 1377-1390, 2006.
23. Sebak, A., H. A. Ragheb, and L. Shafai, "Plane wave scattering by a dielectric elliptic cylinder coated with nonconfocal dielectric," Radio Science, Vol. 29, No. 6, 1393-1401, Nov.-Dec., 1994.
24. Sebak, A. and L. Shafai, "Generalized solutions for electromagnetic scattering by elliptical structures," Computer Physics Communications, Vol. 68, 1990.
25. Ragheb, H. A., L. Shafai, and M. Hamid, "Plane wave scattering by a conducting elliptic cylinder coated by a nonconfocal dielectric," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 2, 1991.