An innovative preconditioner has been developed in this work. It significantly improves the convergence of the iterative solvers applied to electromagnetic radiation problems by a renormalization of the matrix equation. The preconditioner balances the disparities in terms of magnitude and units caused by the strong self-coupling of the antennas, the non-uniformity of the meshes and also by the coexistence of wire and surface basis functions. It can be easily integrated into different electromagnetic solvers with a negligible impact on the computational cost on account of its simple implementation.
2. Rao, S. M., D. R. Wilton, and A. W. Glisson, "Electromagnetic scattering by surfaces of arbitrary shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 30, No. 3, 409-418, 1982.
3. Hwu, S. U., D. R. Wilton, and S. M. Rao, "Electromagnetic scattering and radiation by arbitrary conducting wire/surface configurations," IEEE Int. Antennas and Porpagat. Symp., Vol. 26, 890-893, 1998.
4. Coifman, R., V. Rokhlin, and S. Wanzura, "The fast multipole method for the wave equation: A pedestrian prescription," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Mag. , Vol. 35, No. 3, 7-12, 1993.
5. Song, J. M., C. C. Lu, and W. C. Chew, "Multilevel fast multipole algorithm for electromagnetic scattering by large complex objects," EEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, 1488-1493, 1997.
6. Pan, X. M. and X. Q. Sheng, "A highly efficient parallel approach of multi-level fast multipole algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 8, 1081-1092, 2006.
7. Wang, P. and Y. J. Xie, "Scattering and radiation problem of surface/surface junction structure with multilevel fast multipole algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 15, 2189-2200, 2006.
8. Fan, Z. H., D. Z. Ding, and R. S. Chen, "The efficient analysis of electromagnetic scattering from composite structures using hybrid CFIE-IEFIE," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 10, 131-143, 2008.
9. Hesford, A. J. and W. C. Chew, "On preconditioning and the eigensystems of electromagnetic radiation problems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 8, 2413-2420, 2008.
10. Lee, J., J. Zhang, and C. C. Lu, "Sparse inverse preconditioning Sparse inverse preconditioning in electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 9, 2277-2287, 2004.
11. Rui, P. L. and R. S. Chen, "An efficient sparse approximate inverse preconditioning for FMM implementation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 7, 1746-1750, 2007.
12. Ding, D. Z., R. S. Chen, and Z. Fan, "An efficient sai preconditioning technique for higher order hierarchical MLFMM implementation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 88, 255-273, 2008.
13. Sertel, K. and J. L. Volakis, "Incomplete LU preconditioner for FMM implementation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 26, No. 7, 265-267, 2000.
14. Heldring, A., J. M. Rius, and L. Ligthart, "New block ILU preconditioner scheme for numerical analysis of very large electromagnetic problems," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 38, No. 2, 337-346, 2002.
15. Benzi, M., "Preconditioning techniques for large linear systems: A survey," J. Comput. Phys., No. 182, 418-477, 2002.
16. Ergul, O. and L. Gurel, "Efficient solution of the electric-field integral equation using the iterative LSQR algorithm," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 7, 36-39, 2008.
17. Andriulli, F. P., et al., "A multiplicative calderon preconditioner for the electric field integral equation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 8, 2398-2412, 2008.
18. Saad, Y., Iterative Methods for Sparse Linear Systems, PWS Publishing Company, a division of International Thomsom Publishing Inc., Boston, MA, 1996.
19. Makarov, S., "MoM antenna simulations with matlab: RWG basis functions," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Mag., Vol. 43, No. 5, 100-107, 2001.