A dual-band multifunction hybrid antenna for carborne satellite communication relay system is presented in this paper. As a consequence of the radiation requirements, the proposed antenna consists of a left-hand circularly polarized (LHCP) microstrip patch and an omnidirectional biconical antenna with a conductor tube holding and radome. The LHCP microstrip antenna is used for satellite signal reception, and bionical antenna is used for relay communication transmission. A novel overmoded coaxial waveguide feed structure eliminates the interference between two feed ports. The proposed antenna has the advantages of robustness, low cost, and easy fabrication with conventional materials and printed circuit technology. An antenna prototype is fabricated to validate the design. Both the simulated and measured results are obtained with reasonable agreement.
2. Ha, V. H. S., C. Sung-Kyu, J. Jong-Gu, L. Geon-Hyoung, and S. Woo-Sung, "Portable receivers for digital multimedia broadcasting," IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, Vol. 50, 666-673, 2004.
3. Sammo, C., L. GwangSoon, B. Byungjun, Y. KyuTae, A. Chung-Hyun, L. Soo-In, and A. Chiteuk, "System and services of terrestrial digital multimedia broadcasting (T-DMB)," IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, Vol. 53, 171-178, 2007.
4. Byungje, L., F. J. Harackiewicz, B. Jung, and P. Myun-Joo, "Cavity-backed slot antenna array for the repeater system of a satellite digital multimedia broadcasting service," Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, IEEE, Vol. 4, 389-392, 2005.
5. Hong Moon, H., A. Fedotov, A. Vishnevetsky, I. Drobnov, A. Ivanov, and A. Kozyrev, "S-band traveling wave ring antennas for cellular phones," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium 2006, IEEE, 3119-3122, 2006.
6. Gyoo-Soo, C., L. Joong-Soo, and K. Min-Nyun, "A novel QHA for S-DMB applications," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 2007, 1-3, 2007.
7. Jung-han, K., K. Joong-kwan, K. Yong-jin, and L. Hongmin, "High gain antenna using parasitic shorted annular patch structure," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 2007, 1-4, 2007.
8. Gyoo-Soo, C., P. Young-Chul, L. Joong-Soo, and K. Min-Nyun, "Novel S-DMB antenna design using modified QHA," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 2006, 2056-2058, 2006.
9. Lee, K.-F., S. S. Yang, A. A. Kishk, and K.-M. Luk, "Design and study of wideband single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 45-61, 2008.
10. Kaya, A., "High gain rectangular broad band microstrip antenna with embedded negative capacitor and chip resistor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 421-436, 2008.
11. Kumar, P., T. Chakravarty, G. Singh, S. Bhooshan, S. K. Khah, and A. De, "Numerical computation of resonant frequency of gap coupled circular microstrip antennas," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 10, 1303-1311, 2007.
12. Ouyang, J., F. Yang, S. W. Yang, and Z. P. Nie, "Exact simulation method VSWIE+MLFMA for analysis radiation pattern of probe-feed conformal microstrip antennas and the application of synthesis radiation pattern of conformal array mounted on finite-length PEC circular cylinder with DEs," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 14, 1995-2008, 2007.
13. Sim, C.-Y.-D. and B.-H. Yang, "A single layer dual-band CP microstrip antenna for GPS and DSRC applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 4, 529-539, 2008.
14. Black, D. N. and T. A. Brunasso, "An ultra-wideband bicone antenna," The 2006 IEEE 2006 International Conference on Ultra-wideband, 327-332, 2006.
15. McDonald, J. L. and D. S. Filipovic, "On the bandwidth of monocone antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, 1196-1201, 2008.
16. Sandler, S. S. and R. W. P. King, "Compact conical antennas for wide-band coverage," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, 436-439, 1994.
17. Ghosh, D., T. K. Sarkar, and E. L. Mokole, "Design of a wide-angle biconical antenna for wideband communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 16, 229-245, 2009.