An 61-channel digital beamforming transmitter array antenna used in mobile satellite communication is presented in this paper. It can steer 16 beams simultaneously. The interface, architecture and subunits are described in detail. Standard hexagonal array (SHA) and 61-channel RF front ends are designed. Genetic Algorithm is adopted to realize the pattern synthesis with muti-objective optimization. The signal flow and hardware platform of the digital beamforming network are discussed, which can complete the high speed array signal processing with maximum throughput of 34.16 Gbps. A novel calibration scheme with high feasibility of project implementation is also proposed. The measurements of array antenna match well with simulation result, which validates the rationality and feasibility of the algorithms and project design.
2. Chiba, I., R. Miura, and T. Tanaka, "Digital beam forming (DBF) antenna system for mobile communications," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 12, No. 9, 31-41, 1997.
3. Roy, S. D. and S. Kundu, "Performance analysis of cellular CDMA in presence of beam forming and soft soft hand off," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 73-89, 2008.
4. Martin, M. J., C. Montesano, G. A. E. Crone, and R. Garcia, "ASYRIO: Antenna system reconfiguration in orbit," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 37, No. 3, 7-14, 1995.
5. Dreher, A., N. Niklasch, and F. Klefenz, "Antenna and receiver system with digital beam forming for satellite navigation and communications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 7, 1815-1821, 2003.
6. Kuwahara, Y., H. Kakinuma, and S. Ogawa, "Development and evaluation test of DBF equipment for transmitting," IEEE AP-S1999, Florida, USA, 1999.
7. Curtis, D. D. and R. W. Capt, "32-channel X-band digital beamforming plug-and-play receive array," IEEE Symposium on Phased Array Systems and Technology, Boston, USA, 2003.
8. Harry, L. and V. Trees, Optimum Array Processing Part IV of Detection, Estimation, Modulation Theory, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2008.
9. Yang, S., Q. Z. Liu, J. Yuan, and S.-G. Zhou, "Fast and optimal design of a K-band transmit-receive active antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B , Vol. 9, 281-299, 2008.
10. Eldek, A. A. and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Rectangular slot antenna with patch stub for ultra wideband applications and phased array systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 227-237, 2005.
11. OuYang, J., "A novel radiation pattern and frequency reconfigurable microstrip antenna on a thin substrate for wide-band and wide-angle scanning application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 167-172, 2008.
12. Qu, Y., G. Liao, and S. Q. Zhu, "Pattern synthesis of planar antenna array via convex optimization for airborne forward looking radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 1-10, 2008.
13. Bregains, J. C. and J. A. Rodriguez, "Optimal synthesis of line source antennas based on rhodes distributions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 36, 1-19, 2002.
14. Sukharevsky, O. I. and A. Y. Shramkov, "High-frequency method of antenna directional pattern calculation," Journal of Electomagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 21, No. 14, 2009-2023, 2007.
15. Mahanti, G. K. and A. Chakrabarty, "Phase-only and amplitude-phase only synthesis of dual-beam pattern linear antenna arrays using °oating-point genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 247-259, 2007.
16. Jeong, Y. S. and J. H. Lee, "Estimation of time delay using conventional beamforming-based algorithm for UWB systems," Journal of Electomagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 21, No. 15, 2413-2420, 2007.
17. Xu, Z., H. Li, Q. Z. Liu, and J. Y. Li, "Pattern synthesis of conformal antenna array by the hybrid genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 75-90, 2008.
18. Li, W. T., X. W. Shi, and L. Xu, "Improved GA and PSO culled hybrid algorithm for antenna array pattern synthesis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 461-476, 2008.
19. Capozzoli, A. and G. D'Elia, "Global optimization: Applications to advanced reflector antennas synthesis and diagnosis techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 195-232, 2006.
20. Rostami, A. and A. Yazdanpanah-Goharrizi, "Hybridization of neural networks and genetic algorithms for identification of complex Bragg gratings ," Journal of Electomagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 22, No. 5-6, 643-664, 2008.
21. Reyna, A. and M. A. Panduro, "Optimation of a scannable pattern for uniform planar antenna arrays to minimize the side lobe level ," Journal of Electomagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 22, No. 16, 2241-2250, 2008.
22. Crochiere, R. E., "Mutirate Digital Signal Processing," Prentice-Hall Press, 2001.
23. Lim, Y. C. and Y. J. Yu, "Optimum masking levels and coefficient sparseness for Hilbert transformers and half-band filters designed using the frequency-response masking technique," IEEE Transaction on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 52, No. 11, 2444-2453, 2005.
24. Zhang, X., Z. Wang, and D. Xu, "Wavelet packet transform-based least mean square beamformer with low complexity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 86, 291-304, 2008.
25. Meng, C. C. and T. H. Wu, "2.4/5.7 GHz CMOS dual-band low-IF architecture using weaver-hartley image-rejection techniques," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 3, 552-561, 2009.
26. Panduro, M. A. and C. Bocio, "Design of beam-forming networks for scannable multi-beam antenna arrays using corps," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 173-188, 2008.
27. Mahanti, G. K., A. Chakraborty, and S. Das, "Design of fully digital controlled reconfigurable array antennas with fixed dynamic range ratio," Journal of Electomagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 21, No. 1, 97-106, 2007.
28. Alfred, Q. M., T. Chakravarty, and S. K. Sanyal, "A novel schematic for calibration of large phased array antenna using programmable time-delay units," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 81-91, 2006.
29. Yuan, J., Y. Qiu, and Q. Z. Liu, "Fast analysis of multiple antennas coupling on very electrical large objects via parallel technique," Journal of Electomagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 22, No. 8-9, 1232-1241, 2008.