This is a numerical investigation of a recently proposed formulation, called coupled transverse-mode integral equation (CTMIE), for analyzing EM field properties in general 2-D dielectric waveguide devices. The device is first approximated by stack of piece-wise 1-D horizontally layered structures. Transverse field components on the interface between waveguide slices are unknown functions, which are governed by a coupled integral equation. When unknowns are expanded as a linear combination of given functions, CTMIE is converted to a coupled block matrix equation. We study three waveguide devices, in detail, to understand the relation between modeling parameters and accuracy and convergent rate of the solutions. Examples include a step waveguide junction, a multi-mode interferometer power cross coupler and a linearly tapered waveguide. All results are verified with independent calculations using other proven methods.
2. Lin, C. F., Optical Components for Communications, Kluwer Academic Publishing, Boston, 2004.
3. Chew, W.-C., Waves and Fields in Inhomogeneous Media, Van Norstrand Reinhold, New York, 1990.
4. Ishimaru, A., "Electromagnetic Propagation, Radiation, and Scattering," Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1991.
5. Taflove, A. and S. Hagness, Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-difference Time-domain Method, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2000.
6. Chiang, Y. C., Y. Chiou, and H. C. Chang, "Improved full-vectorial finite-difference mode solver for optical waveguides with step-index profiles," J. of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 2, No. 8, 1609-1618, Aug. 2002.
7. Chang, H.-W. and W.-C. Cheng, "Analysis of dielectric waveguide termination with tilted facets by analytic continuity method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 12, 1653-1662, 2007.
8. Chang, H.-W., W.-C. Cheng, and S.-M. Lu, "Layer-mode transparent boundary condition for the hybrid FD-FD method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 175-195, 2009.
9. Jin, J., The Finite Element Method in Electromagnetics, John Wiley & Son, New York, 2002.
10. Feit, M. D., J. A. Fleck, and Jr., "Light propagation in graded-index optical fibers," Applied Optics, Vol. 17, No. 24, 3990-3998, 1978.
11. Koch, T. B., J. Davies, and D. Wickramasinghe, "Finite element finite-difference propagation algorithm for integrated optical devices," Electronics Letters, Vol. 25, No. 8, 514-516, 1989.
12. Chang, H.-W. and M.-H. Sheng, "Field analysis of dielectric waveguide devices based on coupled transverse-mode integral equation --- Mathematical and numerical formulations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 329-347, 2008.
13. Mittra, R., Y. L. Hou, and V. Jannejad, "Analysis of open dielectric waveguides using mode-matching technique and variational methods," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 28, 36-43, 1980.
14. Sudbo, A. S., "Film mode matching: A versatile numerical method for vector mode field calculations in dielectric waveguides," Pure Appl. Opt., Vol. 2, 211-233, 1993.
15. Chang, H.-W., T.-L. Wu, and M.-H. Sheng, "Vectorial modal analysis of dielectric waveguides based on coupled transverse-mode integral equation: I | Mathematical formulations," J. Opt. Soc. Amer. A, Vol. 23, 1468-1477, Jun. 2006.
16. Chang, H.-W. and T.-L. Wu, "Vectorial modal analysis of dielectric waveguides based on coupled transverse-mode integral equation: II --- Numerical analysis," J. Opt. Soc. Amer. A, Vol. 23, 1478-1487, Jun. 2006.
17. Cheng, Q. and T. J. Cui, "Guided modes and continuous modes in parallel-plate waveguides excited by a line source," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 12, 1577-1587, 2007.
18. Chang, H.-W. and M.-H. Sheng, "Errata for the paper entitled `Dielectric waveguide devices based on coupled transverse-mode integral equation --- Mathematical and numerical formulations' ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 8, 195-197, 2009.
19. Rostami, A. and H. Motavali, "Asymptotic iteration method: A powerful approach for analysis of inhomogeneous dielectric slab waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 171-182, 2008.
20. Motavali, H. and A. Rostami, "Exactly modal analysis of inhomogeneous slab waveguide using nikiforov-uvarov method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 5-6, 681-692, 2008.
21. Wu, T.-L. and H.-W. Chang, "Guiding mode expansion of a TE and TM transverse-mode integral equation for dielectric slab waveguides with an abrupt termination," J. Opt. Soc. Amer. A, Vol. 18, 2823-2832, Nov. 2003.
22. Soldano, L. B. and E. Pennings, "Optical multi-mode interference devices based on self-imaging: Principles and applications," J. of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 13, 615-627, 1995.
23. Bachmann, M., P. Besse, and H. Melchior, "Overlapping-image multimode interference couplers with a reduced number of self-images for uniform and nonuniform power splitting," Applied Optics, Vol. 34, 6898-6910, Oct. 1995.
24. Feng, J.-Y., P. Chang, T. Lay, and T. Chang, "Novel stepped-width design concept for compact multimode-interference couplers with low cross-coupling ratio," IEEE Photonics Tech. Letters, Vol. 19, No. 4, 224-226, Feb. 2007.
25. Lilonga-Boyenga, D., C. N. Mabika, and G. OkoumouMoko, "Rigorous analysis of uniaxial discontinuities microwave components using a new multimodal variational formulation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 61-71, 2008.
26. Liao, S., "Miter bend mirror design for corrugated waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 10, 157-162, 2009.