This paper presents a substrate independent empirical formulation for the bridge inductance of inductively tuned RF MEMS shunt switches, allowing a systematic design approach to tune their isolation bands. Inductive tuning of RF MEMS switches is achieved by inserting recesses in the ground plane and meanders to the bridges, allowing the tuning of the isolation band of the switch from the X-band to the mm-wave band. The bridge inductance is first extracted from parametric EM simulations of the RF MEMS shunt switches and then fitted to the proposed formulations using empirical coefficients. The accuracy of the formulations is verified with the measurements on the switches that are fabricated using an in-house surface micromachining RF MEMS process on a 500-µm thick glass substrate. Measurement results verify that the bridge inductances can be determined by the provided empirical formulation.
2. Brown, E. R., "RF-MEMS switches for reconfigurable integrated circuits," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 46, No. 11, 1868-1880, Nov. 1998.
3. Afrang, S. and E. Abbaspour-Sani, "A low voltage MEMS structure for RF capacitive switches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 157-167, 2007.
4. Muldavin, J. B. and G. M Rebeiz, "High isolation CPW MEMS shunt switches, Part I: Modeling," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 48, No. 6, 1045-1052, Jun. 2000.
5. Muldavin, J. B. and G. M Rebeiz, "High isolation CPW MEMS shunt switches, Part II: Design," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 48, No. 6, 1053-1056, Jun. 2000.
6. Tan, G. L. and G. M. Rebeiz, "DC-26 GHz MEMS series-shunt absorptive switches," IEEE Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 325-328, 2001.
7. Malczewski, A., S. Eshelman, B. Pillans, J. Ehmke, and C. L. Goldsmith, "X-band RF MEMS phase shifters for phased array applications," IEEE Microwave Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 9, 517-519, Dec. 1999.
8. Kim, H.-T., S. Jung, K. Kang, J.-H. Park, Y.-K. Kim, and Y. Kwon, "Low-loss analog and digital micromachined impedance tuners at the Ka-band," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 49, No. 12, 2394-2400, Dec. 2001.
9. Monti, G., R. De Paolis, and L. Tarricone, "Design of a 3-state reconfigurable CRLH transmission line based on MEMS switches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 283-297, 2009.
10. Erdil, E., K. Topalli, M. Unlu, O. Aydin Civi, and T. Akin, "Frequency tunable microstrip patch antenna using RF MEMS technology," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, 1193-1196, Apr. 2007.
11. Wu, W., B. Z. Wang, and S. Sun, "Pattern reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 1, 107-113, 2005.
12. Li, L. and D. Uttamchandani, "Demonstration of a tunable RF MEMS bandpass filter using silicon foundry process," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 2-3, 405-413, 2009.
13. Peroulis, D., S. Pacheco, and L. P. B. Katehi, "MEMS devices for high isolation switching and tunable filtering," IEEE Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 1217-1220, 2000.
14. Topalli, K., O. Aydin Civi, S. Demir, S. Koc, and T. Akin, "A monolithic phased array using 3-bit DMTL RF MEMS phase shifters ," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 56, No. 2, 270-277, Feb. 2008.
15. Simons, R. N., Coplanar Waveguide Circuits, Components and Systems , John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2001.
16. Goel, A. K., High-Speed VLSI Interconnections: Modeling, Analysis, and Simulation, Wiley, New York, 1994.
17. Pacheco, S. P., L. P. B. Katehi, and C. T.-C. Nguyen, "Design of low actuation voltage RF MEMS switch," 2000 IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 165-168, Boston, MA, Jun. 2000.
18. Goldsmith, C., J. Ehmke, A. Malczewski, B. Pillans, S. Eshelman, Z. Yao, J. Brank, and M. Eberly, "Lifetime characterization of capacitive RF MEMS switches," IEEE Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 227-230, 2001.
19. De Wolf, I., W. M. Van Spengen, R. Modlinski, A. Jourdain, A. Witvrouw, P. Fiorini, and H. A. C. Tilmans, "Proc. 28th International Symposium for Testing and Failure Analysis (ISTFA2002)," Reliability and failure analysis of RF MEMS switches, 275-281, 2002.
20. Melle, S., D. De Conto, D. Dubuc, K. Grenier, O. Vendier, J. L. Muraro, J.-L. Cazaux, and R. Plana, "Reliability modeling of capacitive RF MEMS," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3482-3488, Nov. 2005.
21. Van Spengen, W. M., R. Puers, R. Mertens, and I. De Wolf, "Experimental characterization of stiction due to charging in RF MEMS," Int. IEEE Electron. Devices Meeting Dig., 901-904, 2002.