In this work, a theoretical analysis on the design of the beam splitter (BS) based on the frustrated total internal reflection (FTIR) is made. We consider a model structure made of a low-index gap layer bounded by two high-index layers. In the design of a 50/50 BS, we find that there exists a critical gap thickness which is a decreasing function of the angle of incidence for both TE and TM waves. There also exists a critical wavelength for the incident wave, and it increases with increasing angle of incidence. Finally, at a fixed gap thickness and wavelength of incident wave, the critical angle in $TE$ wave is slightly larger than that of $TM$ wave. The analysis provides some fundamental information that is of particular use to the design of a BS within the framework of FTIR.
2. Yeh, P., Optical Waves in Layered Media, John Wiley & Sons, Singapore, 1991.
3. Zhu, Y., C. Yao, J. Chen, and R. Zhu, "Frustrated total internal reflection evanescent switching," Optics Laser Technol., Vol. 31, 539-542, 1999.
4. Mossman, M. A., V. H. Kwong, and L. A. Whitehead, "A novel re°ective image display using total internal reflection," Displays, Vol. 25, 215-221, 2004.
5. Li, L. and J. A. Dobrowolski, "High-performance thin-film polarizing beam splitter operating at angles greater than the critical angle," Appl. Opt., Vol. 39, 2754, 2000.
6. McCormick, F. B., F. A. P. Tooley, T. J. Cloonan, J. L. Brubaker, A. L. Lentine, R. L. Morrison, S. J. Hinterlong, M. J. Herron, and S. L. Walker, "Experimental investigation of a free-space optical switching network by using symmetric self-electro-opticeffect devices," Appl. Opt., Vol. 31, 5431-5446, 1992.
7. Ojima, M., A. Saito, T. Kaku, M. Ito, Y. Tsunoda, S. Takayama, and Y. Sugita, "Compact magnetooptical disk for coded data storage," Appl. Opt., Vol. 25, 483-489, 1986.
8. Kunstmann, P. and H.-J. Spitschan, "General complex amplitude addition in a polarization interferometer in the detection of pattern differences," Opt. Commun., Vol. 4, 166-168, 1971.
9. Azzam, R. M. A. and N. M. Bashara, Ellipsometry and Polarized Light, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1987.
10. Wu, C.-J., T.-J. Yang, and S.-J. Chang, "Analysis of tunable multiple-¯ltering property in a photonic crystal containing strongly extrinsic semiconductor," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 14-15, 2089-2099, 2011.
11. Wu, C.-J., M.-H. Lee, W.-H. Chen, and T.-J. Yang, "A mid-infrared multichanneled filter in a photonic crystal heterostructure containing negative-permittivity materials," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 10, 1360-1371, 2011.
12. Hsu, H.-T., T.-W. Chang, T.-J. Yang, B.-H. Chu, and C.-J. Wu, "Analysis of wave properties in photonic crystal narrowband filters with left-handed defect," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 16, 2285-2298, 2010.
13. Dai, X., Y. Xiang, and S. Wen, "Broad omnidirectional reflector in the one-dimensional ternary photonic crystals containing superconductor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 17-34, 2011.
14. Wu, C.-J. and Z.-H. Wang, "Properties of defect modes in one-dimensional photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 169-184, 2010.
15. Wu, C.-J., Y.-H. Chung, B.-J. Syu, and T.-J. Yang, "Band gap extension in a one-dimensional ternary metal-dielectric photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 81-93, 2010.
16. Rahimi, H., A. Namdar, S. Roshan Entezar, and H. Tajalli, "Photonic transmission spectra in one-dimensional flbonacci multilayer structures containing single-negative metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 15-30, 2010.
17. Kinto-Ramirez, H., M. A. Palomino-Ovando, and F. Ramos-Mendieta, "Photonic modes in dispersive and lossy superlattices containing negative-index materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 35, 133-149, 2011.
18. Suthar, B. and A. Bhargava, "Tunable multi-channel filtering using 1-D photonic quantum well structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 27, 43-51, 2011.
19. Rahimi, H., "Backward tamm states in 1D single-negative metamaterial photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 149-159, 2010.
20. Drevko, D. R. and Y. A. Zyuryukin, "Specifics of electromagnetic TE waves splitting and combining under the conditions of frustrated total internal reflection in a thin dielectric layer," Optics and Spectroscopy, Vol. 108, 996-998, 2010.