This paper presents a new dual-band, dual-polarized 1 x 4 antenna array design for telecommunication base station. One of the bands covers global system for mobile communication (GSM) band, while the other covers both digital communication system (DCS) and universal mobile telecommunication system (UMTS) bands. The antenna is based upon an aperture stacked patch layout and incorporates a simple and novel dual-layered feeding technique to achieve dual polarized radiation. For feeding the array elements, a corporate feed network is used. In order to achieve appropriate matching in both bands, a three-section Chebyshev transformer has been designed. The proposed antenna shows good port decoupling, less than -30 dB for dual linear polarization over its operating bands. Peak antenna gains about 11 dBi and 11.6 dBi have been obtained for lower and upper bands, respectively. The effort was directed toward the design of a single standalone dual-polarized antenna to cover all three bands.
2. Montero-de-Paz, J., E. Ugarte-Munoz, F. J. Herraiz-Martnez, V. Gonzalez-Posadas, L. E. Garcia-Munoz, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Multifrequency self-diplexed single patch antennas loaded with split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 47-66, 2011.
3. Liao, W.-J., S.-H. Chang, and L.-K. Li, "A compact planar multiband antenna for integrated mobile devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 1-16, 2010.
4. Behera, S. and K. J. Vinoy, "Microstrip square ring antenna for dual-band operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 41-56, 2009.
5. Alkanhal, M. A. S. and A. F. Sheta, "A novel dual-band reconfigurable square-ring microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 337-349, 2007.
6. Sze, J.-Y., T.-H. Hu, and T.-J. Chen, "Compact dual-band annular-ring slot antenna with meandered grounded strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 299-308, 2009.
7. Foroozesh, A., M. N. M. Kehn, and L. Shafai, "Application of artificial ground planes in dual-band orthogonally-polarized low-profile high-gain planar antenna design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 407-436, 2008.
8. Chiou, T. W. and K. L. Wong, "A compact dual-band dual-polarized patch antenna for 900/1800-MHz cellular systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 8, 1936-1940, Agu. 2003.
9. Peng, H.-L., W.-Y. Yin, J.-F. Mao, D. Huo, X. Hang, and L. Zhou, "A compact dual-polarized broadband antenna with hybrid beam-forming capabilites," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 253-271, 2011.
10. Sanford, J. R. and A. Tengs, "A two substrate dual polarised aperture coupled patch," Proc. IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation Symp. Digest, 1544-1547, 1996.
11. Masa-Campos, J. L. and F. Gonzalez-Fernandez, "Dual linear/circular polarized plannar antenna with low profile double-layer polarizer of ±45° tilted metallic strips for WiMAX application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 221-231, 2009.
12. Ghorbani, K. and R. B. Waterhouse, "Dual polarized wide band aperture stacked patch antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 8, 2171-2174, Aug. 2004.
13. Secmen, M. and A. Hizal, "A dual-polarized wide-band patch antenna for indoor mobile communication applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 189-200, 2010.
14. Heidari, A. A., M. Heyrani, and M. Nakhkash, "A dual-band circularly polarized stub loaded microstrip patch antenna for GPS application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 195-208, 2009.
15. Oh, K., B. Kim, and J. Choi, "Design of dual and wideband aperture stacked patch antenna with double-sided notches," Electronic Lett., Vol. 40, No. 11, May 2004.
16. Amiri, N., K. Forooraghi, and R. Dehbashi, A compact dual-polarized aperture-coupled stacked patch antenna for GSM900 MHz, IEEE 2005 Asia-Pacific Symposium on EMC, APEMC 2005, Taiwan, Dec. 2006.
17. Li, P. and K. M. Luk, Novel wideband dual-frequency patch antenna array for dual-polarization operation, Proceedings of the 2005 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, Suzhou, Dec. 2005.
18. Starke, P. L. and G. G. Cook, "Optimized design of multi-band cellular base station antenna array for GSM and UMTS deployment," IET Microwave, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 2, 333-347, 2009.
19. Yang, R.-Y., H. Kuan, C.-Y. Hung, and C.-S. Ye, "Design of dual-band bandpass filters using a dual feeding structure and embedded uniform impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 105, 93-102, 2010.
20. Orfanidis, S. J., "A two-section dual-band Chebyshev impedance transformer," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, No. 9, 382-384, Sep. 2003.