We present a simple architecture for realizing high capacity W-band (75-110 GHz) photonics-wireless system. 42.13 Gbit/s 16QAM-OFDM optical baseband signal is obtained in a seamless 15 GHz spectral bandwidth by using an optical frequency comb generator, resulting in a spectral efficiency of 2.808 bits/s/Hz. Transparent photonic heterodyne up-conversion based on two free-running lasers is employed to synthesize the W-band wireless signal. In the experiment, we program an improved DSP receiver and successfully demonstrate photonics-wireless transmission of 8.9 Gbit/s, 26.7 Gbit/s and 42.13 Gbit/s 16QAM-OOFDM W-band signals, with achieved bit-error-rate (BER) performance below the forward error correction (FEC) limit.
2. Ni, W., N. Nakajima, and S. Zhang, "A broadband compact folded monopole antenna for WLAN/WIMAX communication applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 7, 921-930, 2010.
3. Soltani, S., M. N. Azarmanesh, E. Valikhanloo, and P. Lotfi, "Design of a simple single-feed dual-orthogonal-linearly-polarized slot antenna for concurrent 3.5 GHz WIMAX and 5 GHz WLAN access point," Jouranl of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 13, 1741-1750, 2010.
4. Ren, X.-S., Y.-Z. Yin, W. Hu, and Y.-Q. Wei, "Compact tri-band rectangular ring patch antenna with asymmetrical strips for WLAN/WIMAX applications," Jouranl of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 13, 1829-1838, 2010.
5. Yang, B., X.-F. Jin, X.-M. Zhang, H. Chi, and S. L. Zheng, "Photonic generation of 60 GHz millimeter-wave by frequency quadrupling based on a mode-locking SOA fiber ring laser with a low modulation depth MZM ," Jouranl of Electromagnetic Waves Jouranl of Electromagnetic Waves, Vol. 24, No. 13, 1773-1782, 2010.
6. Navarro-Cia, M., V. T. Landivar, M. Beruete, and M. S. Ayza, "A slow light fishnet-like absorber in the millimeter-wave range," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 287-301, 2011.
7. Wells, J., "Faster than fiber: The future of multi-Gb/s wireless," IEEE Microw. Mag., Vol. 10, No. 3, 104-112, 2009.
8. Thakur, J. P., W.-G. Kim, and Y.-H. Kim, "Large aperture low aberration aspheric dielectric lens antenna for W-band quasioptics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 57-65, 2010.
9. Nee, V. R. and R. Prasad, OFDM Wireless Multimedia Communications, Vol. 103, Artech House, Boston, 2000.
10. Prasad, R., OFDM for Wireless Communications Systems, Artech House, Boston, 2004.
11. Weiss, M., A. Stohr, F. Lecoche, and B. Charbonnier, "27 Gbit/s photonic wireless 60 GHz transmission system using 16-QAM OFDM," Proc. of International Topical Meeting on Microwave Photonics , 1-3, Valencia, Spain, 2009.
12. Lin, C.-T., E.-Z. Wong, W.-J. Jiang, P.-T. Shin, J. Chen, and S. Chi, "28-Gb/s 16-QAM OFDM radio-over-fiber system within 7-GHz license-free band at 60 GHz employing all-optical up-conversion ," Proc. of Conference on Lasers and Electro-optics and Conference on Quantum Electronics and Laser Science CLEO/QELS, 1-2, Baltimore, MD, USA, 2009.
13. Kanno, A., K. Inagaki, I. Morohashi, T. Sakamoto, T. Kuri, I. Hosako, T. Kawanishi, Y. Yoshida, and K.-I. Kitayama, "20-Gb/s QPSK W-band (75-110 GHz) wireless link in free space using radio-over-fiber technique ," IEICE Electron. Express, Vol. 8, No. 8, 612-617, 2011.
14. Kanno, A., K. Inagaki, I. Morohashi, T. Sakamoto, T. Kuri, I. Hosako, T. Kawanishi, Y. Yoshida, and K.-I. Kitayama, "40 Gb/s W-band (75-110 GHz) 16-QAM radio-over-fiber signal generation and its wireless transmission," Opt. Express, Vol. 19, No. 26, B56-B63, 2011.
15. Zibar, D., R. Sambaraju, A. Caballero, J. Herrera, U. Westergren, A. Walber, J. B. Jensen, J. Marti, and I. T. Monroy, "High-capacity wireless signal generation and demodulation in 75- to 110-GHz band employing all-optical OFDM," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 23, No. 12, 810-812, 2011.
16. You, Y.-H. and J. B. Kim, "Pilot and data symbol-aided frequency estimation for UWB-OFDM," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 205-217, 2009.
17. Lee, Y.-D., D.-H. Park and H.-K. Song, "Improved channel estimation and MAI-Robust schemes for wireless OFDMA system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 213-223, 2008.
18. Liu, X. and F. Buchali, "Intra-symbol frequency-domain averaging based channel estimation for coherent optical OFDM," Opt. Express, Vol. 16, No. 26, 21944-21957, 2008.