A multilayer dual-mode complementary filter is developed based on substrate integrated circular and elliptic cavity (SICC and SIEC) in this paper. The filter is constructed with two different kinds of cavities, and each cavity supports two degenerate modes, which can be generated and controlled by the coupling aperture and slot located between layers. Detailed design process is introduced to synthesize an X-band dual-mode complementary filter. It not only has good performance, but also reduces the circuit size much more. Moreover, Sharp transition characteristic both in the lower and upper sidebands demonstrates high selectivity of the filter. Good agreement is obtained between the simulated and measured results of the proposed structure.
2. Shen, W., W. Y. Yin, and X. W. Sun, "Compact substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filter with defected ground structure," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 2, 83-85, Feb. 2011.
3. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Substrate integrated waveguide dual-mode filters for broadband wireless systems," RAWCON'03, Proceedings, 385-388, Aug. 2003.
4. Potelon, B., J. F. Favennec, E. Rius, and J. C. Bohorquez, "Design of a substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filter using a novel topology of coupling," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 9, 596-598, Sep. 2008.
5. Wei, Q.-F., Z.-F. Li, and L.-S. Wu, "Compact cross-coupled circular cavity filters using multilayer substrate integrated waveguide," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 6, Mar. 12, 2009.
6. Zhang, S. J. and Y. C. Shen, "Eigenmode sequence for an elliptical waveguide with arbitrary ellipticity," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 43, No. 1, 227-230, Jan. 1995.
7. Accatino, L., G. Bertin, and M. Mongiardo, "Elliptical cavity resonators for dual-mode narrow-band filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 45, No. 12, 2393-2401, Dec. 1997.
8. Tang, H. J., W. Hong, J.-X. Chen, G.-Q. Luo, and K. Wu, "Development of millimeter-wave planar diplexers based on complementary characters of dual-mode substrate integrated waveguide filters with circular and elliptic cavities," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 4, 776-781, Apr. 2007.
9. Ahn, K. and I. Yom, "A ka-band multilayer LTCC 4-pole bandpass filter using dual-mode cavity resonators," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 1235-1238, Jun. 2008.
10. Hu, G., C. Liu, L. Yan, K. Huang, and W. Menzel, "Novel dual mode substrate integrated waveguide band-pass filters," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 11-12, 1662-1672, 2010.
11. Wang, J.-P., L. Wang, Y.-X. Guo, Y. X. Wang, and D.-G. Fang, "Miniaturized dual-mode bandpass filter with controllable harmonic response for dual-band applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 11-12, 1525-1533, 2009.
12. Zhao, L.-P., X.-W. Dai, Z.-X. Chen, and C.-H. Liang, "Novel design of dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter with triangular resonators ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 417-424, 2007.
13. Zhang, Z. G., Y. Fan, Y. J. Cheng, and Y.-H. Zhang, "A compact multilayer dual-mode substrate integrated circular cavity (SICC) filter for X-band application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 453-465, 2012.
14. Wei, C. L., B.-F. Jia, Z.-J. Zhu, and M. Tang, "Design of different selectivity dual-mode filters with E-shaped resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 517-532, 2011.
15. Chen, C.-H., C.-S. Shih, T.-S. Horng, and S.-M. Wu, "Very miniature dual-band and dual-mode bandpass filter designs on an integrated passive device chip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 461-476, 2011.
16. Cheng, Y. J., W. Hong, K. Wu, and Y. Fan, "Millimeter-wave substrate integrated waveguide long slot leaky-wave antennas and two-dimensional multibeam applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 1, 40-47, Jan. 2011.
17. Hu, J. P., G. H. Li, H. P. Hu, and H. Zang, "A new wideband triple-band filter using SIR," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 16, 2287-2295, 2011.
18. Hu, G., Y. Chen, X. Zhao, K. Huang, and C. Liu, "Novel high selective bandpass filters incorporated with quasi-lumped impedandce inverters," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 10, 1382-1390, 2011.
19. Liu, B., F. Wei, H. Zhang, X. Shi, and H. Lin, "A tunable bandpass filter with switchable bandwidth," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 2-3, 223-232, 2011.
20. Xu, F. and K. Wu, "Guided-Wave and leakage characteristics of substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 1, 66-70, Jan. 2005.
21. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 2nd edition, Wiley, New York, 1998.
22. Cameron, R. J., "General coupling matrix synthesis methods for chebyshev filtering functions," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 4, 433-442, Apr. 1999.
23. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications , Chapter 8, 235-272, Wiley, New York, USA, 2001.