The reflection and transmission of electromagnetic waves obliquely incident on a uniaxial chiral slab with the optical axis perpendicular to the interface have been investigated. Firstly, the formulas of the reflection and transmission are derived. Then numerical results for four cases of the uniaxial chiral media are presented and different chiral parameters are considered. Finally, the Brewster's angles and total transmission are discussed.
2. Tretyakov, S., A. Sihvola, and L. JylhÄa, "Backward-wave regime and negative refraction in chiral composites," Photonics and Nanostructures, Vol. 3, No. 2-3, 107-115, 2005.
3. Mackay, T. G., "Plane waves with negative phase velocity in isotropic chiral mediums," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 2, 120-121, 2005.
4. Plum, E., J. Zhou, J. Dong, V. A. Fedotov, T. Koschny,C. M. Soukoulis, and N. I. Zheludev, "Metamaterial with negative index due to chirality," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 79, 035407,2009.
5. Zhang, S., Y. Park, J. Li, X. Lu, W. Zhang, and X. Zhang, "Negative refractive index in chiral metamaterials," Phys. Rev.Lett., Vol. 102, 023901,2009.
6. Zhou, J., J. Dong, B. Wang, T. Koschny, M. Kafesaki, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Negative refractive index due to chirality," Phys.Rev. B, Vol. 79, 121104(R),2009.
7. Wiltshire, M. C. K., J. B. Pendry, and J. V. Hajnal, "Chiral swiss rolls show a negative refractive index," J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, Vol. 21, No. 29, 292201,2009.
8. Dong, J., J. Zhou, T. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Bi-layer cross chiral structure with strong optical activity and negative refractive index," Optics Express, Vol. 17, No. 16, 14172-14179, 2009.
9. Li, J., F.-Q. Yang, and J. Dong, "Design and simulation of Lshaped chiral negative refractive index structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 395-408, 2011.
10. Wu, Z., B. Q. Zeng, and S. Zhong, "A double-layer chiral metamaterial with negative index," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 7, 983-992, 2010.
11. Zarifi, D., M. Soleimani, and V. Nayyeri, "A novel dual-band chiral metamaterial structure with giant optical activity and negative refractive index," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 2-3, 251-263, 2012.
12. Monzon, C. and D. W. Forester, "Negative refraction and focusing of circularly polarized waves in optically active media," Phys. Rev.Lett., Vol. 95, 123904,2005.
13. Jin, Y. and S. He, "Focusing by a slab of chiral medium," Optics Express, Vol. 13, No. 13, 4974-4979, 2005.
14. Qiu, C.-W., N. Burokur, S. Zouhdi, and L.-W. Li, "Chiral nihility effects on energy flow in chiral materials," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 25, No. 1, 55-63, 2008.
15. Dong, W., L. Gao, and C. W. Qiu, "Goos-HÄanchen shift at the surface of chiral negative refractive media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 255-268, 2009.
16. Cheng, X. X., H. S. Chen, B.-I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Visualization of negative refraction in chiral nihility media.," IEEE Antennas & Propagation Magazine, Vol. 51, No. 4, 79-87, 2009.
17. Tuz, V. R. and C.-W. Qiu, "Semi-infinite chiral nihility photonics:Parametric dependence, wave tunneling and rejection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 139-152, 2010.
18. Ahmed, S. and Q. A. Naqvi, "Electromagnetic scattering from a chiral-coated nihility cylinder," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 18, 41-50, 2010.
19. Naqvi, A., S. Ahmed, and Q. A. Naqvi, "Perfect electromagnetic conductor and fractional dual interface placed in a chiral nihility medium," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 14-15, 1991-1999, 2010.
20. Huang, Y. Y., W. T. Dong, L. Gao, and D. W. Qiu, "Large positive and negative lateral shifts near pseudo-brewster dip on rflection from a chiral metamaterial slab," Optics Express, Vol. 19, No. 2, 1310-1323, 2011.
21. Qamar, S. R., A. Naqvi, A. A. Syed, and Q. A. Naqvi, "Radiation characteristics of elementary sources located in unbounded chiral nihility metamaterial," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 5-6, 713-722, 2011.
22. Ahmad, F., S. N. Ali, A. A. Syed, and Q. A. Naqvi, "Chiral and/or chiral nihility interfaces: Parametric dependence, power tunneling and rejection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 23, 167-180, 2012.
23. Jin, Y., J. He, and S. He, "Surface polaritons and slow propagation related to chiral media supporting backward waves," Phys. Lett.A, Vol. 351, No. 4-5, 354-358, 2006.
24. Dong, J. F., "Surface wave modes in chiral negative refraction grounded slab waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 153-166, 2009.
25. Dong, J. and C. Xu, "Characteristics of guided modes in planar chiral nihility metamaterial waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, No. 14, 107-126, 2009.
26. Dong, J., "Exotic characteristics of power propagation in the chiral nihility fiber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 163-178, 2009.
27. Dong, J., J. Li, and F.-Q. Yang, "Guided modes in the fourlayer slab waveguide containing chiral nihility core," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 241-255, 2011.
28. Canto, J. R., C. R. Paiva, and A. M. Barbosa, "Dispersion and losses in surface waveguides containing double negative or chiral metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 409-423, 2011.
29. Ye, Y. and S. He, "90o polarization rotator using a bilayered chiral metamaterial with giant optical activity," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 96, No. 20, 203501,2010.
30. Sabah, C. and H. G. Roskos, "Design of a terahertz polarization rotator based on a periodic sequence of chiral-metamaterial and dielectric slabs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 301-314, 2012.
31. Cheng, X. X., H. S. Chen, X. M. Zhang, B. L. Zhang, and B.-I. Wu, "Cloaking a perfectly conducting sphere with rotationally uniaxial nihility media in monostatic radar system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 100, 285-298, 2010.
32. Zarifi, D., H. Oraizi, and M. Soleimani, "Improved performance of circularly polarized antenna using semi-planar chiral metamaterial covers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 337-354, 2012.
33. Lindell, I. V., A. H. Sihvola, S. A. Tretyakov, and A. J. Viitanen, Electromagnetic Waves in Chiral and Bi-Isotropic Media, Ch. 8,Artech House, Boston, London, 1994.
34. Bayatpur, F., A. V. Amirkhizi, and S. Nemat-Nasser, "Experimental characterization of chiral uniaxial bianisotropic composites at microwave frequencies," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 4, 1126-1135, 2012.
35. Cheng, Q. and T. J. Cui, "Negative refractions in uniaxially anisotropic chiral media," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 73, 113104,2006.
36. Cheng, Q. and T. J. Cui, "Reflection and refraction properties of plane waves on the interface of uniaxially anisotropic chiral media," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 23, No. 12, 3203-3207, 2006.
37. Dong, J. F. and J. Li, "Characteristics of guided modes in uniaxial chiral circular waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 331-345, 2012.
38. Silverman, M. P., "Rflection and refraction at the surface of a chiral medium: Comparison of gyrotropic constitutive relations invariant or noninvariant under a duality transformation," J. Opt.Soc. Am. A, Vol. 3, No. 6, 830-837, 1986.
39. Bassiri, S., C. H. Papas, and N. Engheta, "Electromagnetic wave propagation through a dielectric-chiral interface and through a chiral slab," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 5, No. 9, 1450-1459, 1988.
40. Bassiri, S., C. H. Papas, and N. Engheta, "Electromagnetic wave propagation through a dielectric-chiral interface and through a chiral slab: Errata," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 7, No. 11, 2154-2155, 1990.
41. Cory, H. and I. Rosenhouse, "The rflection and transmission of electromagnetic waves by a chiral slab," J. Mod. Opt., Vol. 39, No. 6, 1321-1330, 1992.
42. Bahar, E., "Mueller matrices for waves reflected and transmitted through chiral materials: Waveguide modal solutions and applications," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 24, No. 7, 1610-1619, 2007.
43. Menzel, C., C. Rockstuhl, T. Paul, and F. Lederer, "Retrieving effective parameters for quasiplanar chiral metamaterials," Appl.Phys. Lett., Vol. 93, No. 23, 233106,2008.
44. Semchenko, I. V., S. A. Khakhomov, S. A.Tretyakov,A. H. Sihvola, and E. A. Fedosenko, "Rflection and transmission by a uniaxially bi-anisotropic slab under normal incidence of plane waves," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 31, No. 19, 2458-2464, 1998.
45. Uckun, S., "Plane wave propagation through a uniaxial chiral slab and transmission coefficient," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 3, 171-174, 1998.
46. Viitanen, A. J. and I. V. Lindell, "Uniaxial chiral quarter-wave polarisation transformer," Electron. Lett., Vol. 29, No. 12, 1074-1075, 1993.