In this paper, we propose a new approach to generate quadrupling-frequency optical millimeter-wave (mm-wave) signal with carrier suppression by using two parallel Mach-Zehnder modulators (MZMs) in Radio-over-fiber (RoF) system. Among the numerous properties of this approach, the most important is that a filterless optical mm-wave at 60 GHz with an optical sideband suppression ratio (OSSR) as high as 40 dB can be obtained when the extinction ratio of the MZM is 25 dB. Simplicity and cost-effectiveness have made this approach a compelling candidate for future wave-division-multiplexing RoF systems. Theoretical analysis is conducted to suppress the undesired optical sidebands for the high-quality generation of frequency quadrupling mm-wave signal. The simulation results show that a 60 GHz mm-wave is generated from a 15 GHz radio frequency (RF) oscillator with an OSSR as high as 40 dB and an radio frequency spurious suppression ratio (RFSSR) exceeding 35 dB without any optical or electrical filter when the extinction ratio of the MZM is 25 dB. Furthermore, the effect of the non-ideal RF-driven voltage as well as the phase difference of RF-driven signals applied to the two MZMs on OSSR and RFSSR is discussed and analyzed. Finally, we establish a RoF system through simulation to verify the transmission performance of the proposed scheme. The Q-factor performance and eye patterns are given.
2. Anang, K. A., P. B. Rapajic, L. Bello, and R. Wu, "Sensitivity of cellular wireless network performance to system & propagation parameters at carrier frequencies greater than GHz," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 40, 31-54, 2012.
3. Choudhury, P. K. and W. K. Soon, "On the tapered optical fibers with radially anisotropic liquid crystal clad," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 461-475, 2011.
4. Huang, T. Y. and T. J. Yen, "A high-ratio bandwidth square-wave-like bandpass filter by two-handed metamaterials and its application in 60 GHz wireless communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 21, 19-29, 2011.
5. Choudhury, P. K., "Transmission through twisted clad liquid crystal optical fibers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 169-184, 2012.
6. Sarrazin, T., H. Vettikalladi, O. Lafond, M. Himdi, and N. Rolland, "Low cost 60 GHz new thin Pyralux membrane antennas fed by substrate integrated waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 42, 207-224, 2012.
7. Navarro-Cia, M., V. Torres Landivar, M. Beruete, and M. Sorolla Ayza, "A slow light fishnet-like absorber in the millimeter-wave range," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 118, 287-301, 2011.
8. Deruyck, M., W. Vereecken, W. Joseph, B. Lannoo, M. Pickavet, and L. Martens, "Reducing the power consumption in wireless access networks: Overview and recommendations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 255-274, 2012.
9. Harun, A., D. L. Ndzi, M. F. Ramli, A. Y. M. Shakaff, M. N. Ahmad, L. M. Kamarudin, A. Zakaria, and Y. Yang, "Signal propagation in aquaculture environment for wireless sensor network applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 477-494, 2012.
10. Alejos, A. V., M. Dawood, and L. Medina, "Experimental dynamical evolution of the Brillouin precursor for broadband wireless communication through vegetation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 291-309, 2011.
11. Ndzi, D. L., M. A. M. Arif, A. Y. M. Shakaff, M. N. Ahmad, A. Harun, L. M. Kamarudin, A. Zakaria, M. F. Ramli, and M. S. Razalli, "Signal propagation analysis for low data rate wireless sensor network applications in sport grounds and on roads," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 1-19, 2012.
12. Lin, C. T., et al., "Optical millimeter-wave signal generation using frequency quadrupling technique and no optical filtering," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 20, 1027-1029, 2008.
13. Kotb, H. E., M. Y. Shalaby, and M. H. Ahmed, "Generation of nanosecond optical pulses with controlled repetition rate using incavity intensity modulated brillouin erbium fiber laser," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 313-331, 2011.
14. Calo, G., D. Alexandropoulos, and V. Petruzzelli, "Active WDM filter on dilute nitride quantum well photonic band gap waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 35, 37-49, 2012.
15. Jia, Z., et al., "Key enabling technologies for optical wireless networks: Optical millimeter-wave generation, wavelength reuse, and architecture," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 25, 3452-3471, 2007.
16. Kumar, A., B. Suthar, V. Kumar, K. S. Singh, and A. Bhargava, "Tunable wavelength demultiplexer for DWDM application using 1-D photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 33, 27-35, 2012.
17. Kapilevich, B. , B. Litvak, "Noise versus coherency in mm-wave and microwave scattering from nonhomogeneous materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 28, 35-54, 2011.
18. Yu, J., J., et al., "Optical millimeter-wave generation or up-conversion using external modulators," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 18, 265-267, 2006.
19. Ma, J., et al., "Optical mm-wave generation by using external modulator based on optical carrier suppression," Optics Communications, Vol. 268, 51-57, 2006.
20. Zavargo-Peche, L., A. Ortega-Monux, J. G. Wanguemert-Perez, and I. Molina-Fernandez, "Fourier based combined techniques to design novel sub-wavelength optical integrated devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 447-465, 2012.
21. Qi, G., et al., "Generation and distribution of a wide-band continuously tunable millimeter-wave signal with an optical external modulation technique," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, 3090-3097, 2005.
22. Liu, J., L. Zhang, S.-H. Fan, C. Guo, S. He, and G.-K. Chang, "A novel architecture for peer-to-peer interconnect in millimeter-wave radio-over-fiber access networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 139-148, 2012.
23. Qi, G., et al., "Optical generation and distribution of continuously tunable millimeter-wave signals using an optical phase modulator," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 23, 2687-2695, 2005.
24. Wang, H., B. Yan, Z. Wang, and R.-M. Xu, "A broadband microwave gain equalizer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 33, 63-72, 2012.
25. Ou, H., et al., "Microwave-photonic frequency doubling utilising phase modulator and fibre Bragg grating," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, 131-133, 2008.
26. Chen, L., et al., "A radio-over-fiber system with a novel scheme for millimeter-wave generation and wavelength reuse for up-link connection," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 18, 2056-2058, 2006.
27. Zakeri, B. G., M. R. Zahabi, and S. Alighale, "Sidelobes level improvement by using a new scheme used in microwave pulse compression radars," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 30, 81-90, 2012.
28. He, J., et al., "Full-duplex radio-over-fiber system with photonics frequency quadruples for optical millimeter-wave generation," Optical Fiber Technology, Vol. 15, 290-295, 2009.
29. Yu, J., et al., "Centralized lightwave radio-over-fiber system with high-frequency optical millimeter-wave generation by low-frequency and low-bandwidth optical and electrical sources," IEEE International Topical Meeting on Microwave Photonics, 127-129, 2007.
30. Zhang, J., et al., "42.13 Gbit/s 16QAM-OFDM photonics-wireless transmission in 75-110 GHz band," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 19, 1057-1059, 2007.
31. Zhang, J., et al., "A photonic microwave frequency quadrupler using two cascaded intensity modulators with repetitious optical carrier suppression," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 19, 1057-1059, 2007.
32. Lu, H. H., et al., "Radio-over-fiber transport systems based on dfb ld with main and -1 side modes injection-locked technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 7, 25-33, 2009.
33. Chen, et al., "A novel optical mm-wave generation scheme based on three parallel Mach-Zehnder modulators," Optics Communications, Vol. 284, 1159-1169, 2011.
34. Zhao, Y., et al., "Simplified optical millimeter-wave generation configuration by frequency quadrupling using two cascaded Mach-Zehnder modulators," Optics Letters, Vol. 34, 3250-3252, 2009.
35. Liu, X., et al., "Frequency quadrupling using an integrated Mach-Zehnder modulator with four arms," Optics Communications, Vol. 284, 4052-4058, 2011.
36. Błahut, M. and A. Opilski, "Multimode interference structures - New way of passive elements technology for photonics," Opto-electronics Review, Vol. 9, 293-300, 2001.
37. Ma, J., et al., "Fiber dispersion influence on transmission of ," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 25, 3244-3256, 2007.