A novel generalized design procedure of broadband planar baluns based on wire-bonded multiconductor transmission lines (MTL) is presented hereby based on analytical equations. The proposed balun consists of two parts. The first one is an in-phase power divider, which equally splits the input power through its two outputs. The later are two MTLs with wire bonding between alternate conductors configured to introduce +90 and -90 degrees phase shift respectively, so that the balanced output signal has a 180 degree phase difference. In that sense, new closed-form design equations in order to calculate the design parameters of both multiconductor elements are obtained. These equations allow the proper dimensions of both MTLs to be computed irrespective of both the number of conductors and the coupling factor, and therefore, to determine the performance of the balun. The design procedure for wire-bonded MTL baluns has been assessed by means of full-wave electromagnetic simulations and by experimental work. In addition, the very good agreement between the theoretical results and measurements makes possible to define a time-saving design methodology.
2. Kumar, B. and G. Branner, "Optimized design of unique miniaturized planar baluns for wireless applications," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, No. 3, 134-136, Mar. 2003.
3. Ang, K. S., Y. Leong, and C. H. Lee, "Multisection impedance-transforming coupled-line baluns," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 2, 536-541, Feb. 2003.
4. Salah-Eddin, M. and A. Safwat, "Defected-ground coupled microstrip lines and its application in wideband baluns," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 1, No. 4, 893-899, Aug. 2007.
5. Cloete, J., "Exact design of the marchand balun," 9th European Microwave Conference, 480-484, Sep. 1979.
6. Nguyen, C. and D. Smith, "Novel miniaturised wideband baluns for MIC and MMIC applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 29, No. 12, 1060-1061, Jun. 1993.
7. Tsai, M., "A new compact wideband balun," IEEE Microwave and Millimeter-wave Monolithic Circuits Symposium, 123-125, 1993.
8. Ang, K. S. and I. Robertson, "Analysis and design of impedance-transforming planar marchand baluns," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, No. 2, 402-406, Feb. 2001.
9. Lu, J.-C., C.-C. Lin, and C.-Y. Chang, "Exact synthesis and implementation of new high-order wideband marchand baluns," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 1, 80-86, Jan. 2011.
10. Jacques, R. and D. Meignant, "Novel wide band microstrip balun," 11th European Microwave Conference, 839-843, Sep. 1981.
11. Rogers, J. and R. Bhatia, "A 6 to 20 GHz planar balun using a wilkinson divider and lange couplers," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 2, 865-868, Jul. 1991.
12. Zhang, Z.-Y., Y.-X. Guo, L. C. Ong, and M. Chia, "A new wide-band planar balun on a single-layer PCB," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 6, 416-418, Jun. 2005.
13. Antoniades, M. and G. Eleftheriades, "A broadband Wilkinson balun using microstrip metamaterial lines," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 209-212, 2005.
14. Tseng, C.-H. and C.-L. Chang, "Wide-band balun using composite right/left-handed transmission line," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 21, 1154-1155, Nov. 2007.
15. Chongcheawchamnan, M., C. Y. Ng, K. Bandudej, A.Worapishet, and I. Robertson, "On miniaturization isolation network of an all-ports matched impedance-transforming marchand balun," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, No. 7, 281-283, Jul. 2003.
16. Cobos-Bandera, S., J. J. Sánchez-Martínez, and E. Márquez-Segura, "Mems-based reconfigurable test-set for differential and common mode measurement using a two-port network analyzer," 42nd European Microwave Conference (EuMC), Oct. 2012.
17. Faria, J. A. B., Multiconductor Transmission-line Structures: Modal Analysis Techniques, Wiley, New York, 1993.
18. Paul, C. R., Analysis of Multiconductor Transmission Line, Wiley, New York, 1994.
19. Marquez-Segura, E., F. Casares-Miranda, P. Otero, C. Camacho-Penalosa, and J. Page, "Analytical model of the wire-bonded interdigital capacitor," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 2, 748-754, Feb. 2006.
20. Casares-Miranda, F., P. Otero, E. Marquez-Segura, and C. Camacho-Penalosa, "Wire bonded interdigital capacitor," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 10, 700-702, Oct. 2005.
21. March, S., "A wideband stripline hybrid ring (correspondence)," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 16 , No. 6, 361, Jun. 1968.
22. Sanchez-Martinez, J. J., E. Marquez-Segura, P. Otero, and C. Camacho-Penalosa, "Artificial transmission line with left/right-handed behavior based on wire bonded interdigital capacitors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 11, 245-264, 2009.
23. Sanchez-Martinez, J. J., E. Marquez-Segura, and C. Camacho-Penalosa, "Synthesis of CRLH-TLs based on a shunt coupled-line section," 42nd European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 2012.
24. Liu, G.-Q., L.-S. Wu, and W.-Y. Yin, "A compact microstrip rat-race coupler with modified lange and t-shaped arms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 509-523, 2011.
25. Sanchez-Martinez, J. J. and E. Maquez-Segura, "Analytical study of wide-band bandpass filters based on wire-bonded multiconductor transmission lines with LH behaviour," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 31, 1-13, 2012.
26. Kuo, J.-T., C.-Y. Fan, and S.-C. Tang, "Dual-wideband bandpass filters with extended stopband based on coupled-line and coupled three-line resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 1-15, 2012.
27. Li, S., B. Tang, Y. Liu, S. Li, C. Yu, and Y. Wu, "Miniaturized dual-band matching technique based on coupled-line transformer for dual-band power amplifiers design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 195-210, 2012.
28. Li, B., X. Wu, N. Yang, and W. Wu, "Dual-band equal/unequal Wilkinson power dividers based on coupled-line section with short-circuited stub," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 163-178, 2011.
29. Ou, W., "Design equations for an interdigitated directional coupler," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 23, No. 2, 253-255, Feb. 1975.
30. Kajfez, D. and B. Vidula, "Design equations for symmetric microstrip dc blocks," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 28, No. 9, 974-981, Sep. 1980.
31. Page, J., E. Marquez-Segura, F. Casares-Miranda, J. Esteban, P. Otero, and C. Camacho-Penalosa, "Exact analysis of the wire-bonded multiconductor transmission line," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 8, 1585-1592, Aug. 2007.
32. Pozar, D., Microwave Engineering, 2nd Edition, Wiley, New York, 1998.
33. Cohn, S., "A class of broadband three-port TEM-mode hybrids," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 19, No. 2, 110-116, Feb. 1968.
34. Kirschning, M. and R. Jansen, "Accurate wide-range design equations for the frequency-dependent characteristic of parallel coupled microstrip lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 32, No. 1, 83-90, Jan. 1984.
35. Faria, J. A. B., "Kirschning and Jansen computer-aided design formulae for the analysis of parallel coupled lines," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2466-2470, 2009.
36. Eisenstadt, W. R., B. Stengel, and B. M. Thompson, Microwave Differential Circuit Design Using Mixed-mode S-parameters, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2006.