In order to perfectly match arbitrary frequency-dependent complex load impedances at two uncorrelated frequencies, a novel coupled-line impedance transformer without transmission-line stubs is proposed in this paper. This transformer mainly features small size, wide bandwidth, simple analytical design method, and easy planar implementation. The transformer simply consists of a coupled-line section and an additional transmission-line section. Due to the usage of a coupled-line section, the theoretical synthesis of the proposed transformer becomes very simple when compared with previous transformers and the total size of the planar circuit without deterioration of operating bandwidth becomes small. Furthermore, several numerical examples are presented to demonstrate the flexible dual-frequency matching performance. Finally, the profile of matching frequency-dependent complex load impedance at two arbitrary frequencies has been examined by simulation and measurement of two microstrip generalized T-junction power dividers. Good agreement between the calculated results and measured ones justifies this proposed transformer and the design theory.
2. Li, S., B. Tang, Y. Liu, S. Li, C. Yu, and Y. Wu, "Miniaturized dual-band matching technique based on coupled-line transformer for dual-band power amplifiers design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 195-210, 2012.
3. Liu, Y., Y.-J. Zhao, and Y. Zhou, "Lumped dual-frequency impedance transformers for frequency-dependent complex loads," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 121-138, 2012.
4. Shamaileh, K. A. A., A. M. Qaroot, and N. I. Dib, "Non-uniform transmission line transformers and their application in the design of compact multi-band bagley power dividers with harmonics suppression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 269-284, 2011.
5. Zhang, B., Y.-Z. Xiong, L. Wang, S. Hu, and L.-W. Li, "3D transformer design by through silicon via technology and its application for circuit design," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 17-18, 2513-2521, Jan. 2011.
6. Wu, B., C.-H. Liang, T. Su, and X. Lai, "Wideband coaxial filters with impedance matching for VHF/UHF diplexer design," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 1, 131-142, Jan. 2008.
7. Monzon, C., "A small dual-frequency transformer in two sections," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 4, 1157-1161, Apr. 2003.
8. Wu, Y., Y. Liu, and S. Li, "A dual-frequency transformer for complex impedances with two unequal sections," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 2, 77-79, Feb. 2009.
9. Liu, X., Y. Liu, S. Li, F. Wu, and Y. Wu, "A three-section dual-band transformer for frequency-dependent complex load impedance," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 10, 611-613, Oct. 2009.
10. Chuang, M.-L., "Dual-band impedance transformer using two-section shunt stubs," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 5, Part 1, 1257-1263, May 2010.
11. Wu, Y., Y. Liu, S. Li, C. Yu, and X. Liu, "A generalized dual-frequency transformer for two arbitrary complex frequency-dependent impedances," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 12, 792-794, Dec. 2009.
12. Nikravan, M. A. and Z. Atlasbaf, "T-section dual-band impedance transformer for frequency-dependent complex impedance loads," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 9, 551-553, Apr. 2011.
13. Ang, K. S., C. H. Lee, and Y. C. Leong, "A broad-band quarter-wavelength impedance transformer with three reflection zeros within passband," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 12, 2640-2644, Dec. 2004.
14. Jensen, T., V. Zhurbenko, V. Krozer, and P. Meincke, "Coupled transmission lines as impedance transformer," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 12, 2957-2965, Dec. 2007.
15. Wincza, K. and S. Gruszczynski, "Asymmetric coupled-line directional couplers as impedance transformers in balanced and n-way power amplifiers," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 7, 1803-1810, Jul. 2011.
16. Chen, W., et al., "Design and linearization of concurrent dual-band Doherty power amplifier with frequency-dependent power ranges," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 10, Part 1, 2537-2546, Oct. 2011.
17. Bassam, S. A., et al., "Linearization of concurrent dual-band power amplifier based on 2D-DPD technique," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 12, 685-687, Dec. 2011.
18. Rawat, K., M. S. Hashmi, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Double the band and optimize," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 13, No. 2, 69-82, Mar. 2012.
19. Rawat, K., M. S. Hashmi, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Dual-band RF circuits and components for multi-standard software defined radios," IEEE Circuits and Systems Magazine, Vol. 12, No. 1, 12-32, First Quarter 2012.
20. Mongia, R., I. Bahl, and P. Bhartia, RF and Microwave Coupled-Line Circuits, Chapter 4, Artech House Publishers, Boston, 1999.