Conventional equivalent source reconstruction methods (SRM) require both phase and amplitude information of the acquired field data. However, there are situations where the phase information is not available or impractical to obtain. Hence, the development of SRM using phaseless fields is important. In this paper, a novel iterative SRM based on phaseless electric fields is presented. The reconstructed equivalent current source can be electric, magnetic current, or both. They can fit the physical geometry of the radiator. Electric field integral equation (EFIE) is employed to build the relationship between the reconstructed current source and measured fields. It can precisely reproduce the original 3D radiation pattern with very good accuracy. To investigate the robustness and accuracy of the proposed approach, both strong and weakly-directional radiators are benchmarked.
2. Donelli, M., S. Caorsi, F. De Natale, D. Franceschini, and A. Massa, "A versatile enhanced genetic algorithm for planar array design," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 11, 1533-1548, 2006.
3. Donelli, M., R. Azaro, F. D. Natale, E. Zeni, and A. Massa, "Optimized design of a multifunction/multiband antenna for automotive rescue systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 2, 392-400, 2006.
4. Donelli, M., R. Azaro, L. Fimognari, R. Azaro, and A. Massa, "A planar electronically reconfigurable Si-Fi band anntenna based on parasitic microstrip structure," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 6, 623-626, 2007.
5. Weng, H., D. Beetner, R. E. Dubroff, and J. Shi, "Estimation of high frequency currents from the near-field scan measurement," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 49, No. 4, Nov. 2007.
6. Peter, P. and T. K. Sarkar, "Planar near-field to far-field transformation using an equivalent magnetic current approach," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 40, No. 11, 1348-1356, Nov. 1992.
7. Taaghol, A. and T. K. Sarkar, "Near-field to near/far-field trans-formation for arbitrary near-field geometry, utilizing an equivalent magnetic current," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 38, No. 3, 536-542, Aug. 1996.
8. Sarkar, T. K. and A. Taaghol, "Near-field to near/far-field transformation for arbitrary near-field geometry utilizing an equivalent electric current and MOM," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, No. 3, 566-573, Mar. 1999.
9. Alvarez, Y., F. Las-Heras, and M. R. Pino, "Reconstruction of equivalent currents distribution over arbitrary three-dimensional surfaces based on integral equation algorithms," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 12, 3460-3468, Nov. 2007.
10. Alvarez, Y., F. Las-Heras, M. R. Pino, and T. K. Sarkar, "An improved super-resolution source reconstruction method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 11, 3855-3866, Nov. 2009.
11. Serhir, M., P. Besnier, and M. Drissim, "An accurate equivalent behavioral model of antenna radiation using a mode-matching technique based on spherical near field measurements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 1, 48-57, Jan. 2008.
12. Persson, K. and M. Gustafsson, "Reconstruction of equivalent currents using a near-field data transformation-with radome applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 54, 179-198, 2005.
13. Quijano, J. L. A. and G. Vecchi, "Improved-accuracy source recon-struction on arbitrary 3-D surfaces," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1046-1049, Sep. 2009.
14. Eibert, T. F. and C. H. Schmidt, "Multilevel fast multipole accelerated inverse equivalent current method employing Rao-Wilton-Glisson discretization of electric and magnetic surface currents," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 4, 1178-1185, 2009.
15. Eibert, T. F., Ismatullah, E. Kaliyaperumal, and C. H. Schmidt, "Inverse equivalent surface current method with hierarchical higher order basis functions, full probe correction and multi-level fast multipole acceleration," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 377-394, 2010.
16. Jorgensen, E., P. Meincke, and M. Sabbadini, "Improved source reconstruction technique for antenna diagnostics," Proc. 32nd ESA Antenna Workshop, Nordwijk, The Netherlands, Oct. 2010.
17. Bucci, O. M., G. Franceschetti, G. Mazzarella, and G. Panariello, "Intersection approach to array pattern synthesis," IEEE Proceedings H Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 82, No. 3, 349-357, Dec. 1990.
18. Bucci, O. M., G. D. Elia, G. Mazzarella, and G. Panariello, "Antenna pattern synthesis: A new general approach," Proceedings of IEEE, Vol. 82, No. 3, 358-371, Mar. 1994.
19. Las-Heras, F. and T. K. Sarkar, "A direct optimization approach for source reconstruction and NF-FF transformation using amplitude-only data," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 4, 500-510, Aug. 2002.
20. Schmidt, C. H., S. F. Razavi, T. F. Eibert, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Phaseless spherical near-field antenna measurements for low and medium gain antennas," Adv. Radio Sci., Vol. 8, 43-48, 2010.
21. Alvarez, Y., F. Las-Heras, and M. R. Pino, "The sources reconstruction method for amplitude-only field measurements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 8, 2776-2781, Aug. 2010.
22. Rengarajan, S. R. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "The field equivalence principle: Illustration of the establishment of the non-intuitive null fields," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 42, No. 4, 122-128, Aug. 2000.
23. Quijano, J. L. A. and G. Vecchi, "Field and source equivalence in source resconstruction on 3D surfaces," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 67-100, 2010.
24. Rao, S. M., D. R. Wilton, and A. W. Glisson, "Electromagnetic scattering by surfaces of arbitrary shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 30, No. 3, 409-418, May 1982.
25. , , , EM Software and Systems, FEKO Suite 6.0 [Online]. Available: http:// www.feko.info.
26. Quijano, J. L. A. and G. Vecchi, "Near- and very near-field accuracy in 3-D source reconstruction," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 634-637, 2010.
27. Quijano, J. L. A., L. Scialacqua, J. Zackrisson, L. J. Foged, M. Sabbadini, and G. Vecchi, "Suppression of undesired radiated fields based on equivalent currents reconstruction from measured data," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 314-317, 2011.