Due to the fact that the imaging distance is similar to the dimension of synthetic aperture antenna in near-field, the Fourier imaging theory used in the traditional synthetic aperture imaging radiometer (SAIR), which is based on the far-field approximation, is invalid for near-field synthetic aperture imaging. This paper is devoted to establishing an accurate imaging algorithm for near-field millimeter wave SAIR. Firstly, the near-field synthetic aperture imaging theory is deduced and its relationship to the far-field imaging theory analyzed. Then, an accurate imaging algorithm based on the near-field imaging theory is established. In this method, the quadratic phase item and antenna pattern are taken into consideration, and the image reconstruction is performed by minimizing the Total-Variation norm of brightness temperature image, which reduces the influence of the visibility observation error and improves imaging precision. Finally, the effectiveness of the proposed imaging algorithm has been tested by means of several simulation experiments, and the superiority is also demonstrated by the comparison between it and the existing Fourier transform methods. The results demonstrate that the proposed method is an efficient, feasible imaging algorithm for near-field millimeter wave SAIR.
2. Yujiri, L., M. Shoucri, and P. Moffa, "Passive millimeter wave imaging," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 4, No. 3, 39-50, Sep. 2003.
3. Sheen, M. D., M. D., D. L. McMakin, and T. E. Hall, "Three-dimensional millimeter-wave imaging for concealed weapon detection," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, No. 9, 1581-1592, Sep. 2001.
4. Ruf, S. C., C. T. Swift, A. B. Tanner, and D. M. Le Vine, "Interferometric synthetic aperture microwave radiometry for the remote sensing of the Earth," IEEE Trans. Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 26, No. 5, 597-611, Sep. 1998.
5. Le Vine, M. D. and J. C. Good, "Aperture synthesis for microwave radiometers in space,", NASA Tech. Memo., 85033, Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD, Aug. 1983.
6. Camps, A., J. Bara, I. C. Sanahuja, and F. Torres, "The processing of hexagonally sampled signals with standard rectangular techniques: Application to 2-D large aperture synthesis interferometric radiometers," IEEE Trans. Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 35, No. 1, 183-190, Jan. 1997.
7. Le Vine, D. M., M. Haken, and T. C. Swift, "Development of the synthetic aperture radiometer-ESTAR and the next generation," IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, Vol. 2, 1260-1263, 2004.
8. Kainulainen, J., K. Rautiainen, S. Tauriainen, T. Auer, J. Kettunen, and M. Hallikainen, "First 2-D interferometric radiometer imaging of the earth from an aircraft," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 4, No. 2, 241-245, Apr. 2007.
9. Martin-Neira, M. and J. M. Goutoule, "A two-dimensional aperture-synthesis radiometer for soil moisture and ocean salinity observations," ESA Bull., No. 92, 95-104, Nov. 1997.
10. Silvestrin, P., M. Berger, Y. Kerr, and J. Font, "ESA's second earth explorer opportunity mission: The soil moisture and ocean salinity mission - SMOS," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Newsletter, Vol. 118, 11-14, Mar. 2001.
11. Kerr, Y. H., F. Cabot, P. Richaume, and J. Font, "Soil moisture and ocean salinity mission: First in-flight results," SPIE Newsroom Remote Sensing, Vol. 19, May 2010.
12. Jacobs, L. E. and O. Furxhi, "Performance modeling of a passive interferometric millimeter-wave sensor," Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 7309, Apr. 2009.
13. Lucotte, B. M., B. Grafulla-Gonzalez, and R. A. Harvey, "Array rotation aperture synthesis for short range imaging at millimeter wavelengths," Radio Science, Vol. 44, 2009.
14. Su, K., W. Z. Liu, B. R. Barat, D. E. Gary, H. Z. Michalopoulou, and J. F. Federici, "Two-dimensional interferometric and synthetic aperture imaging with a hybrid terahertz/millimeter wave system," Applied Optics, Vol. 49, No. 19, E13-E19, Jul. 2010.
15. Zhang, C., J. Wu, H. Liu, and Y. J. Yan, "Imaging algorithm for synthetic aperture interferometric radiometer in near field," Science China Technological Sciences, Vol. 54, No. 8, 2224-2231, 2011.
16. Walsh, K. P., B. Schulkin, D. Gary, J. F. Federici, R. Barat, and D. Zimdars, "Terahertz near-field interferometric and synthetic aperture imaging," Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 5411, 1-9, Sep. 2004.
17. Laursen, B. and N. Skou, "Synthetic aperture radiometry evaluated by a two-channel demonstration model," IEEE Trans. Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 36, No. 3, 822-832, May 1998.
18. Duffo, N., I. Corbella, F. Torres, A. Camps, and M. Vall-Llossera, "Advantages and drawbacks of near field characterization of large aperture synthesis radiometers," 8th Specialist Meeting on Microwave radiometry and Remote Sensing Applications, University La Sapienza, Rome, Feb. 2004.
19. Tanner, B. A., H. B. Lambrigsten, M. T. Gaier, and F. Torres, "Near field characterization of the GeoSTAR demonstrator," Proceedings of IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, Denver, Co, USA, Jul. 2006.
20. Butora, R., M. Martin-Neira, and A. L. Rivada-Antich, "Fringe-washing function calibration in aperture synthesis microwave radiometry," Radio Science, Vol. 38, No. 2, 15.1-2, Apr. 2003.
21. Romberg, J., "Imaging via compressive sampling," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 25, No. 2, 14-20, Mar. 2008.
22. Li, S. Y., X. Zhou, B. Ren, H.-J. Sun, and X. Lv, "A compressive sensing approach for synthetic aperture imaging radiometers," Rrogress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 135, 583-599, 2013.
23. Wright, S. J., R. D. Nowak, and M. A. T. Figueiredo, "Sparse reconstruction by separable approximation," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 57, No. 7, 2479-2493, Jul. 2009.
24. Figueiredo, M. A. T., R. D. Nowak, and S. J. Wright, "Gradient projection for sparse reconstruction: Application to compressed sensing and other inverse problems," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 1, No. 4, 586-597, Apr. 2007.
25. Hale, E. T., W. Yin, and Y. Zhang, "Fixed-point continuation for L1 minimization: Methodology and convergence," SIAM Journal on Optimization, Vol. 19, No. 3, 1107-1130, 2008.
26. Beck, A. and M. Teboulle, "A fast iterative shrinkage-thresholding algorithm for linear inverse problems," SIAM Journal on Imaging Sciences, Vol. 2, No. 1, 183-202, Mar. 2009.