The inverse synthetic aperture radar (ISAR) image can be very effective in target recognition because it provides 2-D image that uses frequency data measured at various observation angles. However, the jet engine modulation (JEM) that can occur in the received signal due to the rotation of the blade in the engine may result in image blurring in cross-range direction. In this paper, we propose an efficient method of removing JEM signals by using the existing chirplet basis function and an efficient method to estimate the initial values of the four parameters of the chirplet. Simulations using the measured data provided clear ISAR image of a real Boeing747 aircraft.
2. Park, S.-H., M.-G. Joo, and K.-T. Kim, "Construction of ISAR training database for automatic target recognition," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 11-12, 1493-1503, 2011.
3. Park, S.-H., K.-K. Park, J.-H. Jung, H.-T. Kim, and K.-T. Kim, "Construction of training database based on high frequency RCS prediction methods for ATR," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 5-6, 693-703, 2008.
4. Chen, J., S. Quegan, and X. Yin, "Calibration of spaceborne linearly polarized low frequency SAR using polarimetric selective radar calibrators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 114, 89-111, 2011.
5. Zhu, X., W. Shao, J.-L. Li, and Y.-L. Dong, "Design and optimization of low RCS patch antennas based on a genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 327-339, 2012.
6. Xu, H.-Y., H. Zhang, K. Lu, and X.-F. Zeng, "A holly-leaf-shaped monopole antenna with low RCS for UWB application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 35-50, 2011.
7. Park, S.-H., "Automatic recognition of targets in formation using range profiles," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 14-15, 2059-2069, 2012.
8. Park, J.-H., H. Lim, and N.-H. Myung, "Modified Hilbert-Huang transform and its application to measured micro Doppler signatures from realistic jet engine models," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 255-268, 2012.
9. Park, S.-H., H.-T. Kim, and K.-T. Kim, "Stepped-frequency ISAR motion compensation using particle swarm optimization with an island model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 25-37, 2008.
10. Park, S.-H., K.-K. Park, J.-H. Jung, K.-T. Kim, and H.-T. Kim, "ISAR imaging of multiple targets using edge detection and Hough transform," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 2-3, 365-373, 2008.
11. Li, J. and H. Ling, "Application of adaptive chirplet representation for ISAR feature extraction from targets with rotating parts," IET Proc. Radar Sonar Navi., Vol. 150, No. 4, 284-291, Aug. 2003.
12. Yin, Q., S. Qian, and A. Feng, "A fast refinement for adaptive gaussian chirplet decomposition," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 50, No. 6, 1298-1306, Jun. 2002.
13. Qian, S. and D. Chen, Joint Time-frequency Analysis: Methods and Applications, Prentice Hall, 1996.
14. Qian, S. and D. Chen, Time-frequency and Wavelet Transforms, Prentice Hall, 2002.
15. Bultan, A., "A four-parameter atomic decomposition of chirplets," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 47, No. 3, 731-745, Mar. 1999.