This paper presents an analytical method to calculate the scattering parameters of a wireless power transmission link composed of electrically small single loop resonators. The proposed method takes into account all the different couplings in the structure. First, the method is presented and used to find the S-parameters for links composed of circular and rectangular resonators. The model is then used to find the optimal topology for a given transmission distance. Validation of the model is done by comparing its results with experimental measurements. Based on this model, a software used for the design of wireless power transmission links has been developed and is presented. Finally, demonstrations that this model produces excellent results are provided. At resonant frequency, an accuracy better than 2% is reached.
2. Karalis, A., J. D. Joannopoulos, and M. Soljacic, "Efficient wireless non-radiative mid-range energy transfer," Annals of Physics, Vol. 323, No. 1, 34-48, 2008.
3. Kurs, A., A. Karalis, R. Moffatt, J. D. Joannopoulos, P. Fisher and aM. Solja¸ci, "Wireless power transfer via strongly coupled magnetic resonances," Science, Vol. 317, No. 5834, 83-86, 2007.
4. Ho, S. L., J. Wang, W. N. Fu, and M. Sun, "A comparative study between novel WiTricity and traditional inductive magnetic coupling in wireless charging ," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 47, No. 5, 1522-1525, 2011.
5. Wang, J., S. L. Ho, and W. N. Fu, "Analytical design study of a novel WiTricity charger with lateral and angular misalignments for e±cient wireless energy transmission ," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 47, No. 10, 2616-2619, 2011.
6. Yin, N., G. Xu, Q. Yang, J. Zhao, X. Yang, J. Jin, W. Fu, and M. Sun , "Analysis of wireless energy transmission for implantable device based on coupled magnetic resonance," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 48, No. 2, 2012.
7. Robichaud, A., M. Boudreault, and D. Deslandes, "Parametric analysis of helical resonators for resonant wireless power transmission links," IEEE NEWCAS Conference, 405-408, 2012.
8. Robichaud, A., M. Boudreault, and D. Deslandes, "Comparison between inductance topologies for resonant wireless power transmission applications," IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 397-399, 2012.
9. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, 235-272, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, 2001.
10. Paul, C., Inductance: Loop and Partial, John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, 2010.
11. Mutashar, S., M. A. Hannan, A. S. Salina, and A. Hussain, "Design of spiral circular coils in wet and dry tissue for bio-implanted micro-system applications ," Progress In Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 32, 181-200, 2013.
12. Maxwell, J. C., A Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism, Vol. 2, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1873.
13. Knight, D. W., "Practical continuous functions and formulae for the internal impedance of cylindrical conductors,", 2010.
14. Babic, S., F. Sirois, C. Akyel, and C. Girardi, "Mutual inductance calculation between circular filaments arbitrarily positioned in space: Alternative to Grover's formula," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 46, No. 9, 3591-3600, 2010.