Radar features of wind turbines are simulated and studied in the HF band. The features are presented in the range-Doppler plane for single as well as arrays of turbines. Doppler aliasing due to the limited pulse repetition frequency of HF radars is examined. Shadowing characteristics of arrays of turbines are simulated and analyzed. Electromagnetic modeling details including effects of thin-wire modeling, non-conducting turbine components, and the presence of a conducting ground surface are discussed.
2., "The Effects of Wind Turbine Farms on ATC RADARS," Air Warfare Center, Royal Air Force, 2005.
3., "Further Evidence of the Effects of Wind Turbine Farms on AD RADARS ," Air Warfare Center, Royal Air Force, 2005.
4., "Report to the Congressional Defense Committees on The Effect of Windmill Farms on Military Readiness, Office of the Director of Defense Research and Engineering, Undersecretary for Space and Sensor Systems ,", 2006.
5. Lemmon, J. J., J. E. Carroll, F. H. Sanders, and D. Turner, "Assessment of the effects of wind turbines on air traffic ontrol radars," NTIA Technical Report TR-08-454 to the U.S. Department of Commerce, 2008.
6. Brenner, M., "Wind farm and radar," The MITRE Corp., Report JSR-08-125 to the Dept. of Homeland Security, 2008.
7., "Impact of Wind Turbines on Weather Radars, OPERA II WP 1.8,", 2006.
8. Sandifer, J. B., T. Crum, E. Ciardi, and R. Guenther, "A way forward: Wind farm-weather radar coexistence," WINDPOWER 2009, 2009.
9. Hood, K., S. Torres, and R. Palmer, "Automatic detection of wind turbine clutter for weather radars," J. Atmosph. Ocean. Tech., Vol. 27, 1868-1880, 2010.
10. Belmonte, A. and X. Fabregas, "Analysis of wind turbines blockage on doppler weather radar beams," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 9, 670-673, 2010.
11. Ling, H., M. F. Hamilton, R. Bhalla, W. E. Brown, T. A. Hay, N. J. Whitelonis, S.-T. Yang and A. Naqvi, "Assessment of o®shore wind farm e®ects on sea surface, subsurface and airborne electronic system ," Final Report for DE-EE0005380, Dept. of Energy, 2013.
12. Poupart, G. J., "Wind farms impact on radar aviation interests," QinetiQ Corp., Final Report to the Dept. of Trade and Industry , 2003.
13. Hill, K. C., G. Zelinski, T. Van, and C. Vogel, "Computational electromagnetics (CEM) prediction of a windmill," 2007 Electromagnetics Code Consortium Annual Meeting, 2007.
14. Kent, B. M., A. Buterbaugh, K. C. Hill, G. Zelinski, R. Hawley, L. Cravens, T. Van, C. Vogel, and T. Coveyou, "Dynamic radar general electric windmill power turbines Part 1 --- Predicted and measured radar signatures ," IEEE Antennas Propag. Magazine , Vol. 50, No. 2, 211-219, 2008.
15. Kent, B. M., A. Buterbaugh, K. C. Hill, G. Zelinski, R. Hawley, L. Cravens, T. Van, C. Vogel, and T. Coveyou, "Dynamic radar cross section and radar doppler measurements of commercial general electric windmill power turbines Part 2 --- Predicted and measured radar signatures," Proc. 2007 AMTA Symposium, 2007.
16. Naqvi, A., S.-T. Yang, and H. Ling, "Investigation of doppler features from wind turbine scattering," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 9, 485-488, 2010.
17. Greving, G., W. Biermann, and R. Mundt, "Wind turbines as distorting scattering objects for radar --- Clutter aspects and visibility," Proc. Int. Radar Symp., 2010.
18. Wyatt, L. R., A. M. Robinson, and M. J. Howarth, "Wind farm impacts on HF radar current and wave measurements in Liverpool Bay ," Proc. IEEE OCEANS Conference, 2011.
19. Teague, C. C. and D. E. Barrick, "Estimation of wind turbine radar signature at 13.5 MHz," Proc. IEEE OCEANS Conference, 2012.
20. Liu, Y., R. H. Weisberg, C. R. Merz, S. Lichtenwalner, and G. J. Kirkpatrick, "HF radar performance in a low-energy environment: CODAR SeaSonde experience on the west florida shelf," J. Atmosph. Ocean. Tech., Vol. 27, 1689-1710, 2010.
21., "FEKO version 6.2," EM Software & Systems Inc., 2012.
22. Jonkman, J., S. Butterfield, W. Musial, and G. Scott, "De¯nition of a 5-MW reference wind turbine for offshore system development," National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Tech. Rept. NREL/TP-500-38060, 2009.
23. Yang, S.-T. and H. Ling, "Electromagnetic simulation of the near-field distribution around a wind farm," Int. J. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 2013, 2013.
24. Dang, Z., J. Wu, H. Xu, S. Yao, and M. Jiang, "Dielectric properties of upright carbon fiber filled poly (vinylidene fluoride) composite with low percolation threshold and weak temperature dependence," App. Phys. Lett., Vol. 91, 072912, 2007.
25. Naqvi, A., N. Whitelonis, and H. Ling, "Doppler features from wind turbine scattering in the presence of ground," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 35, 1-10, 2012.