A wideband antenna is designed based on the concept of equivalent magnetic dipole and electric dipole combinations with excellent radiation characteristics. Single linear polarization design with two different excitations achieves good radiation symmetry and low cross-polarization. The dual-polarization case has a 67% bandwidth and isolation better than 30 dB. The present design and construction of the antenna provides simple solutions compared with similar antennas in the literature. This design avoids loading the antenna with dielectric in the active region. The agreement between measured and simulated results is excellent. The suggested antenna construction is very simple and solves many of the problems related to the practical excitation of this antenna.
2. Clavin, A., D. Huebner, and F. Kilburg, "An improved element for use in array antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 22, No. 4, 521-526, Jul. 1974.
3. King, R. and G. Owyang, "The slot antenna with coupled dipoles," IRE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 8, No. 2, 136-143, Mar. 1960.
4. Black, W. W. and A. Clavin, Dipole augmented slot radiating element, U.S. Patent 3 594 806, Jul. 20, 1971.
5. Gabriel, W. F. and L. R. Dod, A complementary slot-dipole antenna for hemispherical coverage, NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD, NASA TN X-55681, Oct. 1966.
6. Wilkinson, E. J., Circularly polarized slot antenna, U.S. Patent 2 972 147, Feb. 14, 1961.
7. Ge, L. and K. M. Luk, "A low-profile magneto-electric dipole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 4, 1684-1689, Apr. 2012.
8. Luk, K. M. and H. Wong, "A new wideband unidirectional antenna element," Int. J. Micro. Opt. Technol., Vol. 1, No. 1, 35-44, Jun. 2006.
9. Luk, K. M. and H. Wong, A complementary wideband antenna, U.S. Patent 11/373 518, Mar. 10, 2006.
10. Ge, L. and K. M. Luk, "A wideband magneto-electric dipole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 11, 4987-4991, Nov. 2012.
11. Wang, H., Z.-R. Gou, L. Zhang, S.-F. Liu, and X. W. Shi, "A novel broadband magnetoelectric antenna," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 25, No. 3, 213-218, Mar. 2015.
12. Siu, L., H. Wong, and K. M. Luk, "A dual-polarized magneto-electric dipole with dielectric loading," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 3, 616-623, Mar. 2009.
13. Seo, H.-J. and A. A. Kishk, "Wideband linear and dual-polarized antenna based on Huygens’ source principle," 2011 URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium, 1-4, Istanbul, Turkey, Aug. 15–22, 2011.
14. Kishk, A. A., K.-F. Lee, W. C. Mok, and K. M. Luk, "A wide band small size microstrip antenna proximately coupled to a hook shape probe," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 1, 59-66, Jan. 2004.
15. Seo, S.-J., Analysis and design of a wideband dual-polarized antenna based on the principle of Huygen’s source wideband dually polarized antenna, Master Thesis, University of Mississippi, Dec. 2010.