Diffraction tomography (DT) from limited projection data has been an active research topic for over three decades. The interest has been steadily fueled due to its application in multiple disciplines including medical imaging, structural health monitoring and non-destructive evaluation to name a few. This paper explores the applicability of compressed sensing to recover complex-valued objective functions (e.g., complex permittivity in microwave tomography). Generally, compressed sensing based tomographic reconstruction has been studied under full angular access. In this paper, the effect of lowering the angular access in addition to highly limited number of projection data is explored. The effectiveness of the reconstruction methods is tested with severely limited dataset which would render reconstruction impossible by traditional iterative approximation methods. Furthermore, results show that complex-valued phantoms can be reconstructed from as few as 15 projections from 120˚ coverage, a significant finding. In this study, the Total Variation (TV) has been used as the l1 norm within the compressed sensing framework. The robustness of the algorithm in presence of noise is discussed. Use of multiple sparse domains has also been explored briefly. The results show the effectiveness of TV as a regularization parameter even for complex-valued images under the compressed sensing regime. This is a pertinent observation as TV is a simple norm to implement. For a large class of images, especially in medical imaging, this implies the availability of a steady l1 norm for easy implementation of compressed sensing reconstruction for complex-valued images.
2. Paladhi, P., A. Sinha, A. Tayebi, L. Udpa, and A. Tamburrino, "Data redundancy in diffraction tomography," 2015 31st International Review of Progress in Applied Computational Electromagnetics (ACES), 1-2, March 2015.
3. Paladhi, P. R., A. Tayebi, L. Udpa, S. Udpa, and A. Sinha, "Class of backpropagation techniques for limited-angle reconstruction in microwave tomography," AIP Conference Proceedings, Vol. 1650, No. 1, 509-518, 2015.
4. Paladhi, P. R., A. Sinha, A. Tayebi, L. Udpa, and S. S. Udpa, "Improved backpropagation algorithms by exploiting data redundancy in limited-angle diffraction tomography," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 66, 1-13, 2016.
5. Paladhi, P. R., J. Klaser, A. Tayebi, L. Udpa, and S. Udpa, "Reconstruction algorithm for limited-angle diffraction tomography for microwave NDE," AIP Conference Proceedings, Vol. 1581, No. 1, 1544-1551, 2014.
6. LaRoque, S. J., E. Y. Sidky, and X. Pan, "Accurate image reconstruction from few-view and limited-angle data in diffraction tomography," JOSA A, Vol. 25, No. 7, 1772-1782, 2008.
7. Sung, Y. and R. R. Dasari, "Deterministic regularization of three-dimensional optical diffraction tomography," JOSA A, Vol. 28, No. 8, 1554-1561, 2011.
8. Donoho, D. L., "Compressed sensing," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 52, No. 4, 1289-1306, 2006.
9. Candes, E. J. and M. B. Wakin, "An introduction to compressive sampling," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 25, No. 2, 21-30, 2008.
10. Candes, E. J., J. K. Romberg, and T. Tao, "Stable signal recovery from incomplete and inaccurate measurements," Communications on Pure and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 59, No. 8, 1207-1223, 2006.
11. Candes, E. J., J. Romberg, and T. Tao, "Robust uncertainty principles: Exact signal reconstruction from highly incomplete frequency information," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 52, No. 2, 489-509, 2006.
12. Lustig, M., D. Donoho, and J. M. Pauly, "Sparse MRI: The application of compressed sensing for rapid MR imaging," Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, Vol. 58, No. 6, 1182-1195, 2007.
13. Lustig, M., D. Donoho, J. Santos, and J. Pauly, "Compressed sensing MRI," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 25, No. 2, 72-82, March 2008.
14. Chartrand, R., "Fast algorithms for nonconvex compressive sensing: MRI reconstruction from very few data," IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: From Nano to Macro, 2009, ISBI'09, 262-265, 2009.
15. Gamper, U., P. Boesiger, and S. Kozerke, "Compressed sensing in dynamic MRI," Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, Vol. 59, No. 2, 365-373, 2008.
16. Hua, S., M. Ding, and M. Yuchi, "Sparse-view ultrasound diffraction tomography using compressed sensing with nonuniform fit," Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, Vol. 2014, 2014.
17. Zhu, Z., K. Wahid, P. Babyn, D. Cooper, I. Pratt, and Y. Carter, "Improved compressed sensing- based algorithm for sparse-view CT image reconstruction," Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, Vol. 2013, 2013.
18. Mishali, M. and Y. C. Eldar, "From theory to practice: Sub-nyquist sampling of sparse wideband analog signals," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 4, No. 2, 375-391, 2010.
19. Liu, J., C. Z. Han, X. H. Yao, and F. Lian, "A novel compressed sensing based method for space time signal processing for airborne radars," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 52, 139-163, 2013.
20. Baraniuk, R. and P. Steeghs, "Compressive radar imaging," 2007 IEEE Radar Conference, 128-133, 2007.
21. Yang, M. and G. Zhang, "Parameter identifiability of monostatic mimo chaotic radar using compressed sensing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 44, 367-382, 2012.
22. El-Khamy, M., M. Farrag, and M. El-Sharkawy, "Wide-band secure compressed spectrum sensing for cognitive radio systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 53, 47-71, 2013.
23. Zhang, Y., L. Wu, B. Peterson, and Z. Dong, "A two-level iterative reconstruction method for compressed sensing MRI," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 8-9, 1081-1091, 2011.
24. Zhang, Y., S. Wang, G. Ji, and Z. Dong, "Exponential wavelet iterative shrinkage thresholding algorithm with random shift for compressed sensing magnetic resonance imaging," IEEJ Transactions on Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 10, No. 1, 116-117, 2015.
25. Zhang, Y., B. S. Peterson, G. Ji, and Z. Dong, "Energy preserved sampling for compressed sensing MRI," Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, Vol. 2014, 2014.
26. Devaney, A., "A filtered backpropagation algorithm for diffraction tomography," Ultrasonic Imaging, Vol. 4, No. 4, 336-350, 1982.
27. Sung, Y., W. Choi, C. Fang-Yen, K. Badizadegan, R. R. Dasari, and M. S. Feld, "Optical diffraction tomography for high resolution live cell imaging," Optics Express, Vol. 17, No. 1, 266-277, 2009.
28. Catapano, I., L. Di Donato, L. Crocco, O. M. Bucci, A. F. Morabito, T. Isernia, and R. Massa, "On quantitative microwave tomography of female breast," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 75-93, 2009.
29. Drogoudis, D. G., G. A. Kyriacou, and J. N. Sahalos, "Microwave tomography employing an adjoint network based sensitivity matrix," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 213-242, 2009.
30. Baran, A., D. J. Kurrant, A. Zakaria, E. C. Fear, and J. LoVetri, "Breast imaging using microwave tomography with radar-based tissue-regions estimation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 149, 161-171, 2014.
31. Tayebi, A., J. Tang, P. R. Paladhi, L. Udpa, and S. Udpa, "Design and development of an electrically-controlled beam steering mirror for microwave tomography," AIP Conference Proceedings, Vol. 1650, 501-508, AIP Publishing, 2015.
32. Tayebi, A., J. Tang, P. R. Paladhi, L. Udpa, S. S. Udpa, and E. J. Rothwell, "Dynamic beam shaping using a dual-band electronically tunable reflectarray antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 10, 4534-4539, 2015.
33. Tayebi, A., P. Roy Paladhi, L. Udpa, and S. Udpa, "A novel time reversal based microwave imaging system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 62, 139-147, 2016.
34. Candes, E. J. and T. Tao, "Decoding by linear programming," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 51, No. 12, 4203-4215, 2005.
35. Candes, E. and J. Romberg, "Sparsity and incoherence in compressive sampling," Inverse Problems, Vol. 23, No. 3, 969, 2007.
36. Boyd, S. and L. Vandenberghe, Convex Optimization, Cambridge University Press, 2004.
37. Bronstein, M. M., A. M. Bronstein, M. Zibulevsky, and H. Azhari, "Reconstruction in diffraction ultrasound tomography using nonuniform fit," IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, Vol. 21, No. 11, 1395-1401, 2002.
38. Liberti, L. and N. Maculan, "Global optimization: From theory to implementation," Springer Science & Business Media, Vol. 84, 2006.
39. Sturm, J. F., "Using sedumi 1.02, a matlab toolbox for optimization over symmetric cones," Optimization Methods and Software, Vol. 11, No. 1--4, 625-653, 1999.