In this paper, an asymmetric U-slot patch antenna with low probe diameter is presented. It will be shown that reduction in probe diameter causes in reduction in bandwidth. One of the characteristics of this antenna is keeping the bandwidth in 30% in spite of reduction in antenna size and use of low probe diameter compared to antenna presented in . The presented antenna in this paper has been fabricated by pcb technique and tested. The far-field results have also been presented based on simulation and measurement. Although the antenna has high cross polarisation level, in the case of using circular polarisation, the use of this antenna can be recommended because of its reduced size, high impedance bandwidth, high total gain in spite of having low size, and ease of fabrication.
2. Huynh, T. and K. F. Lee, "Single-layer single-patch wideband microstrip antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 31, No. 16, 1310-131, 1995.
3. Chow, Y. L., Z. N. Chen, K. F. Lee, and K. M. Luk, A design theory on broadband patch antennas with slot, IEEE Antennas Propag. Symposium, Vol. 2, 1124-1127, 1998.
4. Chair, R., C.-L. Mak, K.-F. Lee, K.-M. Luk, and A. A. Kishk, "Miniature wide-band half U-slot and half E-shaped patch antennas," IEEE Antennas Propag. Transactions, Vol. 53, No. 8, 2645-2652, 2005.
5. Weigand, S., C. H. Huff, K. H. Pan, and J. T. Bemhard, "Analysis and design of broad-band single-layer rectangular U-slot microstrip patch antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 3, 457-469, 2003.
6. Clenet, M. and L. Shafai, "Multiple resonances and polarisation of U-slot patch antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 35, No. 2, 101-103, 1999.
7. Shackelford, A. K., K. F. Lee, and K. M. Luk, "Design of small-size wide-bandwidth microstrip-patch antennas," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 45, No. 1, 75-83, 2003.
8. Tong, K.-F., K.-M. Luk, K.-F. Lee, and R. Q. Lee, "A broad-band U-slot rectangular patch antenna on a microwave substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, No. 6, 954-960, 2000.
9. Swelam, W., I. Ehtezazi, G. Z. Rafi, and S. Safavi-Naeini, Broad-band U-slot rectangular patch antenna on a microwave substrate using a novel feeding technique, Proceeding of the Antenna and Propagation Symposium AP-S, 2005.
10. Sim, C.-Y.-D., J.-S. Row, and Y.-Y. Liou, "Experimental studies of a shorted triangular microstrip antenna embedded with dual V-shaped slots," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 1, 15-24, 2007.
11. Elsadek, H. and D. M. Nashaat, "Ultra miniaturized E-shaped PIFA on cheap foam and FR4 substrates," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 3, 291-300, 2006.
12. Shams, K. M. and M. Ali, "A planar inductively coupled Bow-tie slot antenna for WLAN application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 7, 861-871, 2006.
13. Ganatsos, T., K. Siakavara, and J. N. Sahalos, "Neural network-based design of EBG surfaces for effective polarization diversity of wireless communications antenna systems," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 8, 1165-1169, 2007.
14. Chai, W., X. Zhang, and S. Liu, "Wideband microstrip antenna array using U-slot," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 7, 1085-1088, 2007.
15. Archevapanich, T., J. Nakasuwan, N. Songthanapitak, N. Anantrasirichai, and T. Wakabayashi, "E-shaped slot antenna for WLAN applications," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 7, 1119-1123, 2007.