Phase-retrieval from measured phaseless field data is of interest for various applications including electromagnetic dosimetry, electromagnetic compatibility investigations, near-field to far-field transformations and antenna diagnostics. In this study two phaseretrieval methods are compared. The first method, the adjoint field method, employs a gradient-based optimization algorithm based on the adjoint fields. The second method, the phase angle gradient method, uses an optimization algorithm based on the phase angle gradients of a functional. The methods are tested with numerical test cases and the phase angle gradient method is found to retrieve the phase with the best accuracy. Moreover it gives results that agree well with correct phase.
2. Las-Heras, F. and T. K. Sarkar, "A direct optimization approach for source reconstruction and NF-FF transformation using amplitude-only data," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 4, 500-510, 2002.
3. Johansson, M., L. E. Nord, R. Kopecky, A. Fhager, and M. Persson, "Computational methods for modeling of complex sources," COMPEL: The International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 27, No. 1, 133-143, 2008.
4. Isernia, T., G. Leone, and R. Pierri, "Results for a truncated phaseless near field technique," Electronics Letters, Vol. 29, No. 5, 505-506, 1993.
5. Bucci, O. M., G. D'Elia, G. Leone, R. Pierri, and , "Far-field pattern determination from the near-field amplitude on two surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, No. 11, 1772-1779, 1990.
6. Bucci, O. M., G. D'Elia, and M. D. Migliore, "An effective near-field far-field transformation technique from truncated and inaccurate amplitude-only data," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 9, 1377-1385, 1999.
7. Sarkar, T. K. and F. Las-Heras, "A direct optimization approach for source reconstruction NF-FF using amplitude only data," IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 1, 399-402, 2001.
8. Soldovieri, F., A. Liseno, G. D'Elia, and R. Pierri, "Global convergence of phase retrieval by quadratic approach," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 10, 3135-3141, 2005.
9. Alvarez, Y., F. Las-Heras, and M. R. Pino, "The sources reconstruction method for amplitude-only field measurements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 8, 2776-2781, 2010.
10. Gerchberg, R. W. and W. O. Saxton, "A practical algorithm for the determination of phase from image and diffraction plane pictures," Optik, Vol. 35, No. 2, 237-246, 1972.
11. Tennant, A., G. Junkin, and A. P. Anderson, "Antenna far-field predictions from two phaseless cylindrical near-field measurements," Electronics Letters, Vol. 28, No. 23, 2120-2122, 1992.
12. Yaccarino, R. G. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Phaseless bi-polar planar near-field measurements and diagnostics of array antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 3, 574-583, 1999.
13. Friden, J., M. Siegbahn, B. Thors, and L. Hamberg, "Quick SAR assessment using dual-plane amplitude-only measurement," Proc. `EuCAP 2006', 2006.
14. Ribiere-Tharaud, N., M. Lambert, and P. Levesque, "Wideband validation of a phase retrieval process applied to infrared planar near-field measurements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 23, 39-54, 2010.
15. Razavi, S. F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A new look at phaseless planar near-field measurements: limitations, simulations, measurements, and a hybrid solution," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 2, 170-178, 2007.
16. Friden, J. and H. Isaksson, "Robust phase-retrieval for quick SAR assessment using dual plane amplitude-only data," EMB 07 Computational Electromagnetics Methods and Applications Conference proceedings, 2007.
17. Fienup, J. R., "Phase retrieval algorithms: a comparison," Applied Optics, Vol. 21, No. 15, 2758-2769, 1982.
18. Roczniak, A., E. M. Petriu, and G. I. Costache, "3-D electromagnetic ¯eld modeling based on near fileld measurements," IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference and IMEKO Technical Committee 7. Conference Proceedings, Vol. 2, 1124-1127, 1996.
19. Johansson, M., H.-S. Lui, and M. Persson, "Performance evaluation of phase-angle gradient method for phase retrieval based on low-frequency amplitude-only near-field data," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 25, 113-130, 2010.
20. Takenaka, T., T. Tanaka, H. Harada, and S. He, "FDTD approach to time-domain inverse scattering problem for stratified lossy media," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 16, No. 5, 292-296, 1997.
21. Gustafsson, M. and S. He, "An optimization approach to two-dimensional time domain electromagnetic inverse problems," Radio Science , Vol. 35, No. 2, 525-536, 2000.
22. Fhager, A. and M. Persson, "Comparison of two image reconstruction algorithms for microwave tomography," Radio Science, Vol. 40, No. RS3017, 2005.
23. Fhager, A., S. K. Padhi, and J. Howard, "3D image reconstruction in microwave tomography using an efficient FDTD model," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, 1353-1356, 2009.