In this paper, we propose a 3D model to characterize the field scattered by an urban area, which is composed of a group of buildings, for both monostatic and bistatic radar configurations. This model is based on a ray-tracing technique combined with the Uniform Theory of Diffraction (UTD). It is useful not only in elucidating mechanisms of ray propagation through the observed area, but also in evaluating the amplitude and the phase of any point in the far-zone scattered field above the ground. In order to validate the model, some comparisons with the commercial software XGTD R are presented. In addition, our model is tested against 33-37 GHz indoor measurements conducted in the anechoic chamber of the "ElectroMagnetic Effects Research Lab" (EMERL) in Singapore. These latter comparisons have shown that the model can predict precisely the location of a target placed between two metallic plates representing walls.
2. Tison, C., J.-M. Nicolas, F. Tupin, and H. Maître, "New statistical model for Markovian classification of urban areas in high-resolution SAR images," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. and Remote Sens., Vol. 42, No. 10, 2046-2057, Oct. 2004.
3. Garestier, F., P. Dubois-Fernandez, X. Dupuis, P. Paillou, and I. Hajnsek, "PolInSAR analysis of X-Band data over vegetated and urban areas," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. and Remote Sens., Vol. 44, No. 2, 356-364, Feb. 2006.
4. De Adana, F. S., O. G/ Blanco, I. G. Diego, J. P. Arriaga, and M.F. Cátedra, "Propagation model based on ray tracing for the design of personal communication systems in indoor environments," IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Techno., Vol. 49, No. 6, 2105-2112, Nov. 2000.
5. Degli-Esposti, V., "A diffuse scattering model for urban propagation prediction," IEEE Trans. on Ant. and Propa., Vol. 49, No. 7, 1111-1113, Jul. 2001.
6. Chang, P. C., R. J. Burkholder, J. L. Volakis, R. J. Marhefka, and Y. Bayram, "High-frequency EM characterization of through-wall building imaging," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. and Remote Sens., Vol. 47, No. 5, 1375-1387, May 2009.
7. El Sallabi, H. M. and P. Vaikikainen, "Improvements to diffraction coefficient for non-perfectly conducting wedge," IEEE Trans. on Ant. and Propa., Vol. 53, No. 9, 3105-3109, Sep. 2005.
8. Soni, S. and A. Bhattacharya, "New heuristic diffraction coefficient for modeling of wireless channel," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 12, 125-137, 2010.
9. XGTD R°, Remcom, Inc., 2010, XGTD version 2.5.16 User's Manual.
10. Burkholder, R. J., L. J. Gupta, and J. T. Johnson, "Comparison of monostatic and bistatic radar images," IEEE Trans. on Ant. and Propa., Vol. 45, No. 3, 41-50, Jun. 2003.
11. Ben Kassem, M. J. and A. Khenchaf, "Bistatic mapping radar BiSAR," OCEANS 2003 Proceedings, Vol. 5, 2754-2760, Sep. 2003.