An equivalent circuit, made of the chain connection of a number of T-type twoport networks, is proposed for the very accurate representation of the frequency-domain behavior of radially inhomogeneous solitary cylindrical structures, the individual two-port networks being made of frequency-independent R, L and C lumped elements. The accuracy of the model is dictated by the number of two-port networks, a number that increases with the frequency. The equivalent circuit approach is validated with the help of an application example concerning a special type of inhomogeneous tubular structures where exact closedform field solutions do exist.
2. Faria, J. A., "A matrix approach for the evaluation of the internal impedance of multilayered cylindrical structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 28, 351-367, 2011.
3. Dinh, T. V., B. Cabon, and J. Chilo, "New skin-effect equivalent circuit," Elect. Letters, Vol. 26, No. 19, 1582-1584, 1990.
4. Kim, S. and D. Neikirk, "Compact equivalent circuit model for the skin effect," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Digest, Vol. 3, 1815-1818, 1996.
5. Sen, B. K. and R. Wheeler, "Skin effects models for transmission line structures using generic SPICE circuit simulators," IEEE 7th Topical Meeting on Elect. Performance of Elect. Packaging, 128-131, 1998.
6. Mei, S. and Y. Ismail, "Modeling skin effect with reduced decoupled R-L circuits," Proc. Int. Symp. on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 4, 588-591, 2003.
7. Mei, S. and Y. Ismail, "Modeling skin and proximity effects with reduced realizable RL circuits," IEEE Trans. VLSI Systems, Vol. 12, No. 4, 437-447, 2004.
8. Wang, C., H. Liao, C. Li, R. Huang, W. Wong, X. Zhang, and Y. Wang, "A wideband predictive double- equivalent-circuit for on-chip spiral inductors," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 56, No. 4, 609-619, 2009.
9. Silveira, F. and J. Lima, "Skin effect from extended irreversible thermodynamics perspective," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 2/3, 151-160, 2010.
10. Lovric, D., V. Boras, and Vujevic, "Accuracy of approximate formulas for internal impedance of tubular cylindrical conductors for large parameters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 16, 171-185, 2011.
11. Faria, J. A., "On the transmission matrix of 2n-port reciprocal networks," Microwave and Opt. Tech. Letters, Vol. 33, No. 3, 151-154, 2002.
12. Watson, G., A Treatise on the Theory of Bessel Functions, Cambridge University Press, 1922.
13. Faria, J. A., "Electromagnetic Foundations of Electrical Engineering," Wiley, 2008.
14. Khinchin, A. Y., Continued Fractions, Dover, New York, USA, 1997.
15. Brandao Faria, J. A., "Skin effect in inhomogeneous Euler-Cauchy tubular conductors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 18, 89-101, 2011.