In this paper, we have proposed a shell type dielectric microsphere resonator in order to enhance its quality factor. In this work we have assumed that the radius of dielectric microsphere is 12 μm and that the interior metal layer radius is 11.5 μm. We have obtained analytic equations for Vector potentials, characteristic equation, quality factor, resonance frequency and resonance location of TE modes. We have plotted these characteristics by MATLAB software and compared them with the normal microsphere characteristics.
2. Fan, X., M. C. Lonergan, Y. Zhang, and H. Wang, "Enhanced spontaneous emission from semiconductor nanocrystals embedded in whispering gallery optical microcavities," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 64, 115310, 2001.
3. Fan, X., S. Lacey, P. Palingilins, H. Wang, and M. C. Lonergan, "Coupling semiconductor nanocrystals to fused silica microspheres: A quantum-dot microcavity with extremely high Q-factor," Optics Letters, Vol. 25, 1600, 2000.
4. Cai, M., G. Hunziker, and K. J. Vahala, "Fiber-optic add-drop device based on a silica microsphere-whispering gallery mode system," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 11, 686, 1999.
5. Rosenbeger, A. T. and J. P. Rezac, "Whispering-gallerymode evanescent-wave microsensor for trace-gasdetection," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 4265, 102-112, 2001.
6. Arnold, S., M. Khoshisma, I. Teraoka, S. Holler, and F. Vollmer, "Shift of whispering-gallery modes in microspheres by protein adsorption," Optics Letters, Vol. 28, 272, 2003.
7. Braginsky, V. B., M. L. Gorodetsky, and V. S. Ilchenko, "Quality-factor and nonlinear properties of optical whispering-gallery modes," Phys. Lett. A, Vol. 137, 393-397, 1989.
8. Strutt, J. W., The Theory of Sound, Dover Press, New York, 1945.
9. Strutt, J., Theory of Sound (Teoriya Zvuka), Vol. 2, Gostekhizdat, Moscow, 1955.
10. Mie, G., "Beitrage zur optik truber Medien, speziell kolloidaler Metallosungen," Ann. Phys., Vol. 25, 377-445, 1908.
11. Kerker, M., "The Scattering of light and other electromagnetic radiation," Academic, 1969.
12. Spillane, S. M., Fiber-coupled ultra-high-Q microresonators for nonlinear and quantum optics, Doctor of Philosophy Thesis, 2004.
13. Vernooy, D. W., V. S. Ilchenko, H. Mabuchi, E. W. Streed, and H. J. Kimble, "High-Q measurements of fused-silica microspheres in the infrared," Optics Letters, Vol. 23, 247-249, 1998.
14. Gorodetsky, M. L. and V. S. Ilchenko, "High-Q optical whisperinggallery microresonators: Precession approach for spherical mode analysis and emission patterns with prism couplers," Opt. Comm., Vol. 113, 133-143, 1994.
15. Collot, L., V.Lefevre-Seguin, M. Brune, J. M. Raimond, and S. Haroche, "Very high-Q whispering-gallery mode resonances observed on fused-silica microspheres," Europhys. Lett., Vol. 23, No. 5, 327-334, 1993.
16. Jackson, J. D., Classical Electrodynamics, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1999.
17. Little, B. E., J. P. Laine, and H. A. Haus, "Analytic theory of coupling from tapered fibers and half-blocks into microsphere resonators," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 17, No. 4, 1999.
18. Berneschi, S., Microlaser in rare earths doped glasses, Degree of Doctor of Philosophy Thesis, Anno Accademico.
19. Collot, L., V. Lefevre-Seguin, M. Brune, J. M. Raimond, and S. Haroche, "Very high-Q whispering-gallery mode resonances observed on fused silica microspheres," Europhys. Lett., Vol. 23, 327-334, 1993.
20. Abramovitz, M. and I. A. Stegun, Handbook of Mathematical Functions, Vol. 55, National Bureau of Standards Applied Mathematics Series, Washington, D.C., 1972.
21. Mine, E., A. Yamada, Y. Kobayashi, M. Konno, and L. M. Liz-Marzan, "Direct coating of gold nanoparticles with silica by a seeded polymerization technique," Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 264, No. 2, 385-390, 2003.
22. Graf, C., D. L. J. Vossen, A. Imhof, and A. V. Blaaderen, "A general method to coat colloidal particles with silica," Langmuir, Vol. 19, No. 17, 2003.
23. Yu, Y., G. Giuliani, and S. Donati, "Measurement of the linewidth enhancement factor of semiconductor lasers based on the optical feedback self-mixing effect," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 16, No. 4, 2004.
24. Liu, T., Y. H. Wang, R. Ddumke, A. Stejskal, Y. N. Zhao, J. Zhang, Z. H. Lu, L. J. Wang, T. Becker, and H. Walther, "Narrow linewidth light source for an ultraviolet optical frequency standard," Appl. Phys. B, Vol. 87, 227-232, 2007.
25. Lam, C. C., P. T. Leumg, and K. Young, "Explicit asymptotic formulas for the positions, width and strength of resonances in the mie scattering," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 1585, 1992.
26., Datsyuk and V. V., "Some characteristic of resonant electromagnetic modes in a dielectric sphere," Appl. Phys. B, Vol. 54, 184-187, 1992.