The feasibility of designing a compact-size beam-switching dielectric lens antenna (DLA) with improved angular (scanning) characteristics is investigated numerically using inhouse software based on the Muller boundary integral equations and hybrid genetic algorithm. It is demonstrated that joint optimization of the lens shape and feeding array parameters enables one to minimize the directivity degradation for off-axis feeds which is a well-known drawback of conventional extended hemielliptic DLAs fed by focal arrays. The key to success is found in proper shaping the lens profile and using arrays of non-identical feeds.
2. Filipovic, D. F., G. P. Gauthier, S. Raman, and G. M. Rebeiz , "Off-axis properties of silicon and quartz dielectric lens antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 45, 760-767, 1997.
3. Wu, X., G. V. Eleftheriades, and T. E. van Deventer-Perkins, "Design and characterization of single and multiple-beam mm-wave circularly polarized substrate lens antennas for wireless communications ," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Techniques, Vol. 49, 431-441, 2001.
4. Schoenlinner, B., X. Wu, J. P. Ebling, G. V. Eleftheriades, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Wide-scan spherical-lens antennas for automotive radars," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Techniques, Vol. 50, 2166-2175, 2002.
5. Tajima, Y. and Y. Yamada, "Design of shaped dielectric lens antenna for wide angle beam steering," Electronics Communications in Japan, Vol. 89, 1-12, 2006.
6. Wang, Z. X. and W. B. Dou, "Design and analysis of several kinds of dielectric lens antennas," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 12, 1643-1653, 2006.
7. Boriskin, A. V., R. Sauleau, and A. I. Nosich, "Exact off-resonance near ¯elds of small-size extended hemielliptic 2-D lenses illuminated by plane waves," J. Optical Society America A, Vol. 26, 259-264, 2009.
8. Fernandes, C. A., Shaped-beam Antennas, Handbook of Antennas in Wireless Communications , Godara Ed., Vol. 15, CRC Press, New York, 2002.
9. Sauleau, R. and B. Bares, "A complete procedure for the design and optimization of arbitrary shaped integrated lens antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 54, 1122-1133, 2006.
10. Godi, G., R. Sauleau, L. Le Coq, and D. Thouroude, "Design and optimization of three-dimensional integrated lens antennas with genetic algorithm ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 55, 770-775, 2007.
11. Rolland, A., M. Ettorre, A. V. Boriskin, L. Le Coq, and R. Sauleau, "Axisymmetric resonant lens antenna with improved directivity in Ka-band ," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 37-40, 2011.
12. Boriskin, A. V. and R. Sauleau, "Synthesis of arbitrary-shaped lens antennas for beam-switching applications," Proc. European Microwave Conference, 739-742, 2010.
13. Boriskin, A. V., G. Godi, R. Sauleau, and A. I. Nosich, "Small hemielliptic dielectric lens antenna analysis in 2-D: Boundary integral equations versus geometrical and physical optics ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 56, 485-492, 2008.
14. Boriskina, S. V., T. M. Benson, P. Sewell, and A. I. Nosich, "Accurate simulation of 2D optical microcavities with uniquely solvable boundary integral equations and trigonometric-Galerkin discretization," J. Optical Society America A, Vol. 21, 393-402, 2004.
15. Boriskin, A. V., A. Rolland, R. Sauleau, and A. I. Nosich, "Assessment of FDTD accuracy in the compact hemielliptic dielectric lens antenna analysis," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 56, 758-764, 2008.
16. Boriskin, A. V. and R. Sauleau, "Drastic influence of the half-bowtie resonances on the focusing and collimating capabilities of 2-D extended hemielliptical and hemispherical dielectric lenses," J. Optical Society America A, Vol. 27, 2442-2449, 2010.
17. Boriskin, A. V. and R. Sauleau, "Hybrid genetic algorithm for fast electromagnetics synthesis," Proc. Int. Symp. Physics and Engineering of Mm and Sub-mm Waves, 2010.
18. Boriskin, A. V., M. V. Balaban, A. Y. Galan, and R. Sauleau, "E±cient approach for fast synthesis of phased arrays with the aid of a hybrid genetic algorithm and a smart feed representation," IEEE Int. Symp. Phased Array Systems and Technology (ISPAST), 827-832, 2010.
19. Heyman, E. and L. B. Felson, "Gaussian beam and pulsed-beam dynamics: Complex-source and complex-spectrum formulations within and beyond paraxial asymptotics ," J. Optical Society America A, Vol. 18, 1588-1611, 2001.
20. Boriskin, A. V., R. Sauleau, and A. I. Nosich, "Performance of hemielliptic dielectric lens antennas with optimal edge illumination ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 57, 2193-2198, 2009.