In this paper, the characteristics of an L probe fed planar rectangular patch antenna mounted on a cylindrical surface for circular polarization is investigated. To obtain a large bandwidth an L probe feed is used which is in the shape of a fork attached to a coaxial cable and is placed under a corner of the patch antenna. Simulation results, obtained via HFSS, on the return loss and radiation pattern of the antenna for circular polarization are presented. Results show an impedance bandwidth of 74.6%, an average gain of 7.5 dBi with stable radiation patterns across the entire passband and a bandwidth of 58% for AR< 3 dB.
2. Hamid, A.-K., "Multi-dielectric loaded axially slotted antenna on circular or elliptic cylinder," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 9, 1259-1271, 2006.
3. Cooray, F. R. and J. S. Kot, "Analysis of radiation from a cylindrical-rectangular microstrip patch antenna loaded with a superstrate and an air gap, using the electric surface current model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 135-152, 2007.
4. Zentner, R., Z. Sipus, and N. Herscovici, "Omnidirectional stacked patch antenna printed on circular cylindrical structure," Antennas and Propagation SocietyInternational Symposium, Vol. 2, 272-275, IEEE Publication, 2002.
5. He, M. and X. Xu, "Full-wave analysis and wide-band design of probe-fed multilayered cylindrical-rectangular microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 7, 1749-1757, July 2004.
6. Abdelaziz, A. A., "Bandwidth enhancement of microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 63, 311-317, 2006.
7. He, M. and X. Xu, "Characteristics of the broadband cylindrically conformal microstrip antennas with capacitance compensation probe feed," 6th Intern. Symposium on Antennas, Propag. and EM Theory , 77-80, Nov. 2003.
8. Li, P., K. L. Lau, and K. M. Luk, "A study of the wide-band probe fed planar patch antenna mounted on a cylindrical or conical surface," IEEE Trans. antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 10, 3385-3389, Oct. 2005.
9. Tam, W. Y., "Microstripline-fed cylindrical slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 46, No. 10, 1587-1589, Oct. 1998.
10. Hamid, A.-K., "Axially slotted antenna on a circular or elliptic cylinder coated with metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 329-341, 2005.
11. Lau, K. L. and K. M. Luk, "A novel wide-band circularly polarized patch antenna based on L probe and aperture-coupling techniques," IEEE Trans. Antenna & propag., Vol. 53, No. 1, January 2005.
12. Zhang, M. T., Y. B. Chen, Y. C. Jiao, and F. S. Zhang, "Dual circularly polarized antenna of compact structure for RFID application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 1895-1902, 2006.
13. Wu, G. L., W. Mu, G. Zhao, and Y.-C. Jiao, "A novel design of dual circularly polarized antenna fed by L-strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 39-46, 2008.
14. Wong, K.-L. and S.-Y. Ke, "Cylindrical rectangular microstrip patch antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Trans. on Antenna & Propag., Vol. 41, No. 2, 246-249, Feb. 1993.