Geometrical analysis of basic equations of electromagnetics waves propagation in anisotropic dielectric materials with magnetic isotropy are presented in two complementary papers (Part I and Part II). In this paper, analysis arises from local properties of dielectric permittivity tensor and Mohr's plane graphical construction compatible with circumferences that represent general plane wave equation. This theoretical study allows to know how rays propagate in left-handed metamaterials (LHMs) exhibiting dielectric anisotropy and magnetic isotropy. Geometrical analysis yields plane graphical procedures for ray tracing, that are extremely easy. In particular, indefinite dielectric media, where dielectric permittivities are not all the same sign, has been investigated and a joint study of materials having the same eigenvalues of ε, but with opposite values of μr is performed. The opposite sense of propagation of rays in "opposite media" (media with opposite values of εi and μr) has been also shown. It must be pointed out that the presented method always allows graphical plane constructions, even when dealing with biaxial media.
2. Pendry, J. B., "Negative refraction makes a perfect lens," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 85, 3966-3969, 2000.
3. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, 4184-4187, 2000.
4. Woodley, J. and M. Mojahedi, "Backward wave propagation in left-handed media with isotropic and anisotropic permittivity tensors," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 23, No. 11, 2377-2382, 2006.
5. Smith, D. R., P. Kolinko, and D. Schurig, "Negative refraction in indefinite media," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 21, 1032-1042, 2004.
6. Ma, Z., P. Wang, Y. Cao, H. Tang, and H. Ming, "Linear polarizer made of indefinite media," Appl. Phys. B, Vol. 84, 261-264, 2006.
7. Ding, W., L. Chen, and C. H. Liang, "Characteristics of electromagnetic wave propagation in biaxial anisotropic left-handed materials," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 70, 37-52, 2007.
8. Shen, L. F. and Z. H. Wang, "The propagation characteristics in a doubly clad optical fiber including left-handed materials," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, 895-904, 2008.
9. Ran, L., J. Huangfu, H. Chen, X. M. Zhang, K. Chen, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "Experimental study on several left-handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 249, 2005.
10. Grzegorczyk, T. M., X. Chen, J. Pacheco, J. Chen, B. I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Reflection coefficients and Goos-Hanchen shifts in anisotropic and bianisotropic left-handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagneticss Research, Vol. 51, 83, 2005.
11. Wu, B. I., W.Wang, J. Pacheco, X. Chen, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "A study of using metamaterials as antenna substrate to enhace gain," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 295-328, 2005.
12. Chen, H., B. I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Review of electromagnetic theory in left-handed materials," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 15, 2137-2151, 2006.
13. Yang, R., Y. Xie, P. Wang, and T. Yang, "Conjugate left- and right-handed material bilayered substrates qualify the subwavelength cavity resonator microstrip antennas as sensors," J. of Electrom. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 15, 2113-2122, 2006.
14. Grzegorczyk, T. M. and J. A. Kong, "Review of left-handed metamaterials: Evolution from theoretical and numerical studies to potential applications," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 14, 2053-2064, 2006.
15. Yang, R., Y. Xie, P. Wang, and L. Li, "Microstrip antennas with left-handed materials substrates," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 9, 1221-1233, 2006.
16. Wang, M. Y. and J. Xu, "FDTD study on scattering of metallic column covered by double-negative metamaterial," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 14, 1905-1914, 2007.
17. Li, Z. and T. J. Cui, "Novel waveguide directional couplers using left-handed materials," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 8, 1053-1062, 2007.
18. Abdalla, M. A. and Z. Hu, "On the study of left-handed coplanar waveguide coupler on ferrite substrate," Progress In Electromagneticss Research Letters, Vol. 1, 69-75, 2008.
19. Boltasseva, A. and V. M. Shalaev, "Fabrication of optical negative-index metamaterials: Recent advances and outlook," Metamaterials, Vol. 2, 1-17, 2008.
20. Bellver-Cebreros, C. and M. Rodriguez-Danta, "Eikonal equation, alternative expression of Fresnel's equation and Mohr's construction in optical anisotropic media," Opt. Commun., Vol. 189, 193-209, 2001.
21. Bellver-Cebreros, C. and M. Rodriguez-Danta, "Amphoteric refraction at the isotropic-anisotropic biaxial media interface: An alternative treatment," J. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt., Vol. 8, No. 12, 1067-1073, 2006.
22. Bellver-Cebreros, C. and M. Rodriguez-Danta, , sent to Progress In Electromagnetics Research.
23. Sahmes, F. A. and F. A. Cozzarelli, Elastic and Inelastic Stress Analysis, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1992.
24. Born, M. and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics, Pergamon Press, New York, 1999.
25. Scharf, T., Polarized Light in Liquid Crystals and Polymers, John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken, New Jersey, 2007.
26. Akhmanov, S. A. and S. Yu. Nikitin, Physical Optics, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1999.
27. Perez, J. H., Optique Gemetrique et Ondulatoire, Masson, 1984.