Multicarrier Phase-Coded signals have been recently introduced to achieve high range resolution in radar systems. As in single carrier phase coded radars, the conventional method for compression of these signals is based on using matched filter or direct computation of autocorrelation function. In this paper we propose a new method based on Discrete Fourier Transform (DFT) that has lower computational complexity compared to the conventional approach. It has been proved that the proposed method is mathematically equivalent to matched filtering, so there is no processing loss. Also the effect of sampling frequency on compression loss has been investigated and for the oversampled matched filter of MCPC signals, a computational efficient algorithm based on polyphase implementation has been proposed.
2. Jung, J.-H. and H.-T. Kim, "Comparisons of for feature extraction approaches basedon Fisher's linear discriminant criterion in radar target recognition ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 2, 251-265, 2007.
3. Shi, Z. G., S. Qiao, and K. S. Chen, "Ambiguity functions of direct chaotic radar employing microwave chaotic Colpitts oscillator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 1-14, 2007.
4. Jankiraman, M., B. J. Wessels, and P . V. Genderen, "Design of a multi-frequency FMCW radar," Proc. of 28th European Microwave Conference, Vol. 1, 584-589, Amsterdam, October 1998.
5. Jankiraman, M., B. J. Wessels, and P . V. Genderen, "System design and verification of the PANDORA multifrequency radar," Proc. of 5th Int. Conference on Radar Systems, Brest, France, 1999.
6. Jankiraman, M., B. J. Wessels, and P . V. Genderen, "Ambiguity analysis of pandora multifrequency FMCW/SFCW radar ," Proc. of the IEEE 2000 International Radar Conference, 35-41, May 2000.
7. Levenon, N., "Multifrequency radar signals," Proc. of the IEEE 2000 International Radar Conference, 683-688, May 2000.
8. Levenon, N., "Multifrequency complementary phase-coded radar signal ," IEE Proc. Radar, Sonar Navig., Vol. 147, No. 6, 276-284, December 2000.
9. Mozeson, E. and N. Levenon, "Multicarrier radar signals with low peak-to-mean envelope ratio," IEE Proc. Radar, Sonar Navig., Vol. 150, No. 2, 71-77, April 2003.
10. Levenon, N. and E. Mozeson, "Multicarrier radar signal — Pulse train and CW," IEEE Trans. AES, Vol. 38, No. 2, 707-720, April 2002.
11. Levenon, N., "Train of diverse multifrequency radar pulses," Proc. of the 2001 IEEE Radar Conf., 93-98, May 2001.
12. Prasad, N. N. S. S. R. K., V. Shameem, U. B. Desai, and S. N. Merchant, "Improvement in target detection performance of pulse coded Doppler radar based on multicarrier modulation with fast Fourier transform (FFT)," IEE Proc. Radar, Sonar Navig. , Vol. 151, No. 1, 11-17, February 2004.
13. Singh, S. P. and K. S. Rao, "Pulse train of multicarrier complementary phase coded radar signal for favourable autocorrelation andam biguity function ," Proc. International Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics, and Informatics (ICSCI 2005), 81-86, India, January 2005.
14. Franken, G. E. A., H. Nikookar, and P . Van Gendern, "Doppler tolerance of OFDM-coded radar signals," Proc. of the 3rd European Radar Conference, 108-111, September 2006.
15. Levenon, N. and E. Mozeson, Radar Signals, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 2004.
16. Kim, J.-H. and Y.-H. You, "PILOT-frequency tracking method for ultra-wideband receivers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 65-75, 2008.
17. Shim, E.-S. and Y.-H. You, "Parameter estimation and error reduction in multicarrier system by time-domain spreading," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 1-12, 2008.
18. Nam, S.-H., J.-S. Yoon, and H.-K. Song, "An elaborate frequency offset estimation for OFDM systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters , Vol. 4, 33-41, 2008.
19. Park, S. H. and H. T. Kim, "Stepped-frequency ISAR motion compensation using particle SWARM optimization with an island model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 25-37, 2008.
20. Oppenheim, A. V. and R. W. Schafe, Discrete Time Signal Processing, Prentice-Hall, 1999.
21. Vaidyanathan, P. P., Multirate Systems and Filter Banks, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1993.
22. Sorensen, H. V. and C. S. Burms, "Efficient computation of the DFT with only a subset of input or output points," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 41, No. 3, 1184-1200, March 1993.